1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest/flying with someone in wheelchair?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by zoey11, Jul 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoey11

zoey11 Mid roller and Vegas fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi! Am flying with a friend who has to use a wheelchair and her husband in Oct. I just wondered if you are with someone in a wheelchair, can you board with them or should I go ahead and get earlybird check in? Thanks for any replies!

2. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think one person can board with the person in the wheelchair.

God must fly Southwest, because it's amazing the folks that need a wheelchair getting on, but can sprint off.

3. zlanga

zlanga High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the gate agents are doing their job properly, they will tell you to board with your boarding #.

Early bird may or may not be necessary if they are boarding early they can more than likely save the 3rd seat in their row and you would only need to worry about checking in T-24, saving the $12.50.
    On the way home, lots of folks seem to agree that early bird is the way to go in order to be hassle-free with checking in while in Vegas. I agree with those folks.

USBC Nationals
  4. ND80

ND80 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's beyond ridiculous. One of the reasons I do not like flying Southwest. You see a lot of 'disabled' passengers in wheelchairs throughout the airport but because of the seating policy of SW there seem to be a lot more of them at their gates. Last year when I was flying back from LAS to BWI on Southwest there were so many wheelchairs at that gate it was comical. Even though I/we had a low A boarding pass we still ended up sitting fairly far back because of all the pre boarders. This year my two trips are going to be on United.

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ohhhhh here we go.... Yes, I'm pretty sure 1 additional person can board, so you should be able to accompany your friend. Don't be bashful about calling 1-800-IFLYSWA and ask. They're very friendly and helpful representatives.

6. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree about the wheelchair brigade.........

Pretty much what said above, but since it sounds like 3 of you are flying together?
    Usually only One can board with wheelchair occupant. But I've seen more.........
    Odd man out can get early bird. But you could probably save your $12.50.
    If the 2 are already on the plane, save you a seat? The 3 of you can sit together anyway.
    That's probably what I would do.

7. zoey11

zoey11 Mid roller and Vegas fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for your answers. I wouldn't want to board early with them if her husband goes on with her and they only allow one person, I will just get the early bird to hopefully get a seat with them.
    I can't believe people actually get a wheelchair to board a plane first and then sprint off, that is just not right! I never thought of anyone doing that, but in this world today, gees!
    I don't really care where I sit on the plane, it would be nice to sit with my friends but if I cant, I'll go by the rules and it's not that big of deal.

8. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If your friends leave the middle seat empty, even without early boarding, you would most likely be able to sit with them.

I think three trips back flying out of CLE, there were nine people in wheel chairs. They announced that if any could walk down the ramp, it would speed up boarding, as we were a little late boarding. Eight people walked down. And as far as I could see, only one used a wheelchair in Vegas.

9. BethGarden

BethGarden Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually have two handicapped daughters (one in a wheelchair and one with other disabilities that cause her to have trouble walking). One person is allowed to board with each disabled person. We always board early but we also wait until last to get off. Southwest could easily cut down on the people taking advantage of the early boarding by requiring wheelchair bound people and their parties to get off last. I actually wish they would do this as it is very hard for us to get my daughter back several rows from the front and this has happened several times.

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On our flight last week we had the gate agent from hell who was on a power trip.
    Among the things she announced several times.
    Your paper boarding pass must be folded in half or you are not getting on the plane.
    Any child 2 years or older must be carrying their own boarding pass. Hell, give a 2 year old paper and they might eat it.
    Blue boarding card people - only one person can board with you. "grandpa & grandma can't both board with you"

She went on with her rules several times and it became annoying. So much so that it prompted me to write to SWA, but so far no reply.

I like SWA and 99% of the time the employees are very friendly. This one sucked!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  11. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am kind of amazed that they don't require some kind of documented proof that you are disabled in order to board first, but I guess that might require them paying another employee to check on that.
    (Lord knows they don't want to do THAT!)

12. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we took my grandmother, they let the three of us board together. I don't see the point of making a travel party split up because someone requires a wheelchair unless there are ten people trying to board with a blue board. I was a bit surprised that they didn't ask many questions about the wheelchair request but requiring documented proof of a disability is a tricky thing and I don't see many medical professionals having the time of day to validate them.

13. Ladybb9201

Ladybb9201 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    flying while disabled

I am disabled and use an electric scooter. I resent some comments made by some who don't like flying southwest because of disabled individuals boarding first. Like it or not, some of us need a little extra time or assistance. Did it ever occur to these individuals that disabled people are most generally last to unboard?? Please think before you comment and count your blessings you can still walk!!! If I had a choice I would prefer walking!

14. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think any of the commenters above were talking about you or anyone in your similar situation. What they were talking about is the inordinate amount of people that are clearly gaming the system since they need assistance boarding, yet are magically able to run off the plane.

There is some truth to those claims. I fly American and a good majority of my flights don't have a single person needing assistance to board. But on Southwest, every single flight has 5-10 people or more that require assistance.

15. ND80

ND80 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly. No one is talking about legitimately disabled persons.

16. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well the OP was so unleashing the vitriol about fakers in this particular thread isn't helpful.

17. Ladybb9201

Ladybb9201 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you Hillword24. I am a legitamently disabled but if I were standing you would never know I am disabled. All I am saying is don't judge a book as it's cover. I agree there are people in this world who always try to beat the system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.