1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest early bird

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ItsVegasTime, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ItsVegasTime

ItsVegasTime Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does anyone who flies southwest bother with the earlybird check for a fee? I normally set my alarm on my phone to remind me to check in 24 hours before, and we usually still end up with a B boarding pass, and have never had trouble finding 2 seats together. But I am thinking of doing the early bird for our flights home since it automatically checks you in, so I don't have to worry about it while I'm in vegas having a good time.

Its not that expensive so I think its worth doing, at least for the way home.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    Possible April Birthday Trip
  2. Slotness

Slotness Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We do Earlybird, don't want to risk sitting separately. Have only had A boarding-so far.

3. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We do early bird because I don't want to have to think about it in Vegas. I think A 30 is the lowest I ever had.

4. ItsVegasTime

ItsVegasTime Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you guys do early bird round trip, or just your flight home?

Possible April Birthday Trip
  5. BadKarma

BadKarma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experience in the past has been no need for earlybird for the flight from LAS. Way too many people having a great time in Vegas to remember to log in at that golden 24 hour mark to get their boarding pass. I always remember and get a low B. Still get my window seat home every single time.

6. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ High-Roller

Even though I loathe the thought of giving them more of my money, we now get early bird on the way home only. We just don't want to be bothered with checking in from LV. While we have always gotten ok seats without EB, we never sit together anyway since we both like aisle seats so we're happy with whatever boarding passes we get on the way out as long as they're B or higher.

7. Bgoll279

Bgoll279 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do EB every time I fly SWA. I always try to get exit row seating. It does not always work. A while back, I got a very low A, but when I boarded, the flight had originated earlier and the few people left on the plane had filled those seats. I can't complain though, I also have their Companion Pass status, which is a great perk.

8. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I purchase EarlyBird roundtrip, each trip. I am always assigned A boarding group.

9. Sparky4

Sparky4 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When hubby and I travel together we early bird both directions when we go to LV from Austin. When I go by myself I generally just early bird for the trip home.

10th anniversary
  10. lemoncakegirl83

lemoncakegirl83 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use Earlybird for both ways because I don't want to have to remember to check in at exactly 24 hours before. I wish it was still $10.00 though.

11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll usually set a reminder for the exact time and usually we get B.

If I'm solo I will usually try to get an aisle closer to the front.

I've had a few short notice flights where all I could get was a C. :(

12. TXactuarial

TXactuarial Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One interesting thing I've run into is couples or groups where only 1 person pays for early-bird checkin but then saves seats on the plane for the rest of the group. It hasn't ever been an issue for me, but it seems kinda sketchy on the ethical side.

13. ajp

ajp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With the wife we do early bird. If I fly solo I just checknin, don't care where I sit on the plane.

14. ajp

ajp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had an issue with my early bird getting lost on a flight about 6 months ago and my wife's didnt. As a result she was a 20 I was c30 or something. We spoke with a rep on the phone and confirmed with the gate agent. Saving seats is perfectly fine with them.

15. msadrakula

msadrakula Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We never do early bird and usually get late A or early B. I think the latest we got was B24. My wife wanted to do early bird on the way out to Las Vegas last year because it was on Dec. 26th and it was a very busy travel day. I told her not to worry about it and it was a waste of money. She got the Early Bird and I did not. She ended up getting A40 and I logged in 24 hours before flight and ended up getting A43. She was so mad, mainly because she had to listen to me tell her "I told you so" With smartphones now there's no reason to pay that ridiculous fee. It literally stop what were doing for 5 mins while in Vegas keep hitting enter on the phone for a minute or two. We also sit together and get our choice of window or isle. You would totally have screw things up and get mid to late C's to not sit together. There is also enough early 20 year olds on each flight that forget to log in the day before.

16. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    always earlybird

We always SWA Earlybird,
    + your now a Premium passenger for TSA lines

Plat Amex has a $200 Airfare Misc. credit,
    for extra checked bag (In case we do a lot of Shopping),
    earlybird or Free drinks on the plane.
    Have even bought other Seatmates a drink, if I have extra/un-used credits.

This next trip's earlybird was paid for in last years (2015's Credit)

17. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I personally find it worth it for carry on reasons. Sure one person might do Early Bird or have A List but your passenger will be at the front of the plane with possibly no place to put the carry on bag. Try thinking about having to go half way back to put your bag. Doesn't work out logistically getting off.

For me it's about getting off the damn plane fast. There is nothing worse than waiting. I don't care if it's an extra 5-10 mins I save, I want off that plane after flying 3.5 hours

18. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do it so we can sit together and don't have to bother checking in. Set it and forget it. Always been an A (so far).

19. runningonthehub

runningonthehub Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only person who can decide if you should use EB is you. If you are not particular about where you sit, why bother with EB?
    If you have never flown Southwest, try flying without EB. You might get lucky and not need it. If you have not flown SW and are particular about where you sit, EB might be the thing for you.
    I have been flying SW since they started the ABC group boarding and I have never been in the C boarding group. The worst I have been is B33. But, I still got the seat that I wanted.
    I always pay for EB and would never fly SW without it. I am very particular where I sit on a plane.

20. Champster1

Champster1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do EB every time for the past 15/20 flights. Had a bad experience getting stuck in"C" boarding years ago. I had planned to check in online but just plain forgot. I'm stuck between (2) 350 plus pound men and I'm 240! Most uncomfortable ride ever. Have done EB ever since, with or without the wife! One less thing to worry about in preparation for my 5 hr buffalo to Vegas flight. Call it a $25.00 piece of mind....and all of us are gonna spend waaaayyyy more than $25.00 on something in Vegas!

March Madness...here I come !!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.