1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest cancel/rebook question - When can I use my "travel funds"?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by mrubs4, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrubs4

mrubs4 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had flights for 9/6-9/10 booked during their anniversary sale for $375. I booked one-way flights as 9/6 being a Friday wasn't any cheaper so I figured I could cancel and rebook should that drop. Now they have this SAVE30 promo going on where I can book roundtrip for $325 as the 9/6 flight is on sale

I cancelled the two one-way tickets and went to rebook as a roundtrip using travel funds. I can look them up in the travel funds lookerupper thing no problem, but when I go to apply them during checkout I get an "Oops!" error. It's been about an hour now. I'm just curious if I totally screwed the pooch here, or if I'm just being impatient and antsy and just need to relax and wait a couple hours before they're available to use.

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been on the phone with them doing this and they were able to access the funds immediately, but it wouldn't surprise me if the electronic availability of the funds isn't real-time and might be as much as a day. I'm only thinking like a credit-card transaction, even though you have a slip that the merchant has credited your account the availability isn't instant. I hope for your sake I'm incorrect and you can use those funds.

3. Frankr163

Frankr163 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A couple of things could be giving you trouble.
    Make sure you are re-booking the flights under the same login that you originally used. Another problem might be the name used under the travel funds. The names you enter have to match exactly the name on the funds. I had trouble one time because of a middle initial used instead of a full middle name.
    The SW phone reps. are very good about walking you through the process. They won't change them for you, because of internet only pricing, but can go screen for screen with you online.

4. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Isn't it better to change the flight using the original Confirmation #? This way you don't lose your EBCI fees if you had added that, plus your reservation is never cancelled. Was the SAVE30 roundtrip only? I guess if it is a done deal, the best advice has already been given, call Customer Service; they are very accommodating.

Jimbo338

5. mrubs4

mrubs4 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was it! I didn't put in my middle initial... duh. I was able to succesfully rebook this morning after adding that in

I didn't know SWA had a "change flight" thing until last night when I was furiously googling for a solution before I had to head off to work. Is that something new, or was I just oblivious to it before? I haven't really been on their site in 2.5 years or so. The SAVE30 thing is roundtrip only, but I'm not too concerned about rebooking now as I really don't think I'll be able to beat $325

Thanks for all the suggestions and help! Last time I was out there was Sept 2011 so I'm really, really excited to finally be returning

6. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SWA has had the "Change Flight" process for quite some time now, and it is so much easier than the physical "Cancel", and then "re-booking" from scratch. However, I am surprised that you were able to get a sale price on the Friday flight ... since that SAVE30 promo was for Tuesday dates only.

Another thing that people often overlook, when they use old "travel funds" for a future flight, is the dated expiration on the those funds. For example, if you have leftover funds, they are dated when you originally BOUGHT them, not the dates of the flight. You then have one year to actually FLY on new flights with those funds ... NOT one year to buy a new ticket.

7. fluffygrrrl

fluffygrrrl Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Am I hearing this correctly, I have never flown SW before, but just bought 8 tickets to las vegas through them, and the next day they went on sale. (the return flight was 28 dollars cheaper now) Can I change them to get the cheaper price or is it a huge hassle?.

8. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's fairly easy to use their website to "change" your flight to the same flight you had booked to take advantage of a better price. This will result in a credit being associated with that reservation number. You can then use that credit towards another flight with the same passenger as long as you use it within one year of the original purchase date.

9. popcornoholic

popcornoholic Low-Roller

Are you saying that you have to fly with the same person to be able to use them? I booked a trip with my mom and the prices went down so I did the change thing and now have travel funds to use. Can I use mine on a trip with my husband? And my mom can use hers on her next trip or do we have to travel together again?

10. Frankr163

Frankr163 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The refunded travel funds are only available for use by the person named on the original booking.
    So in your case you can use yours for a trip with hubby. Your mom then can apply hers to any future trip she books.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.