1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Airlines Des Moines to LV

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Tank45, Oct 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tank45

Tank45 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm considering taking Southwest for the first time for a flight from Des Moines to LV on Dec 1st and returning Dec 5th. I'm a man of size :) and am a little apprehensive about not having an assigned seat (and not paying for the additional seat as I fit in one, just not comfortably).

If by chance there is anyone on here that has flown Southwest out of Des Moines to LV on a Monday (I know, pretty specific), how full is the plane? Typical sold out?

Also, in general, if I purchase early bird checkin, does that assure me a good seat choice in an empty (to start with) aisle?

Thanks all!

2. SeeUNVegas

SeeUNVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tank-
    I've flown both Allegiant and SW from Des Moines. Sunday flights have been mostly full. I have always paid for the early bird seating more so to make sure I get an overhead spot for my carry-on but also miss out on the log jam when the release the herd. I am also bigger guy (6'1" 225) and find the SW seats a bit roomier than the Allegiant. May only be an inch but when going from 20" to 21" it is a whopping 5% bigger! Hopefully that helps a little.

3. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have any experience out of DSM or much for Southwest, but I do a lot of reading about airlines and this is what I know..

The best way to insure you get to be one of the first 15 people on the plane (other than pre-boarders) and possibly snag one of the coveted exit row seats or bulk head that would allow you more leg room and the aisle seat you want is to go the Business Select route. Unfortunately, those fares are almost double the cheapest fare.

The next option is to watch to see if the Business Select class is sold out. If it is not, you can ask at the counter to upgrade your boarding position to those spots in line for $40. You may want to get to the airport a little earlier so you have a better chance to purchase that upgrade.

This close to your departure date, buying the early bird check in will still check you in for your flight at the 24 hour mark without you having to do it, but could possibly get you a seat assignment in the B's. There should still be some aisle seats available in the early to mid B's though.

If you look at the next couple of Mondays for those flights, the wanna get away fares aren't available. That tells me that those Monday flights aren't full, but they are pretty close to it. I would expect a full flight though.

4. Tank45

Tank45 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you both for the info!

5. Louton25

Louton25 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tank,

Flights out of DM to Vegas are typically sold out or very close. I've flown both ALGT and SW from DSM to LAS at least 10 times each over the past few years. You would likely have a better shot scoring an open seat on an SW flight - as they fly daily and ALGT only 4 or 5 days a week. I am 6'1" 210 and have never had any problems in the seats. My cousin who is pushing 320 also fit into one seat - not saying I didn't lose part of my seat, but he fit :)
    Happy travels!
    I'll be flying DSM to LAS in December.

6. Tank45

Tank45 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cool. Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.