1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest & Air Tran merger

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Joe, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This information is only from a SWA call agent, so who knows...But I called to see if my wife's Companion Status could be used on Airtran. Short answer NO.

However, she said not yet, but soon there would be no more Airtran. They are going to be absorbing them, not running them as a separate airline.

I don't know how much validity to put in her answer, but I'd sure hope she is right.

Christmas
  2. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This has been my assumption since the merger. The end goal I've always assumed is airtran doesn't exist anymore and southwest just bought their planes, terminals, flights, staff, ect...

This is the same that happened with all the other airlines. Northwest no longer existed and everything just merged into Delta's system. Same with United and Continental.

3. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They seem to moving very slowly with making them work together. This would probably support the idea that AirTran will be history, all at once, instead of gradually.

You can now convert Southwest points to AirTran travel reward though.

4. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest has slowly been converting the Airtran 737's to Southwest's colors and seating. As they do this, it reduces the number of planes that Airtran can use, so they cut Airtran routes which Southwest starts flying the next day or they eliminate all together.

Look for things to really start changing with Airtran around August when Delta starts taking possession of Airtran's 717 fleet. Delta will be taking 3 planes per month, though I'm not sure if that will continue until they are all gone or there is a big dump of 717's at one time. At the current fleet count (88), expect all of the 717's to be gone by December 2015.

5. chrisn42

chrisn42 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Part of the reason that the merger is taking so long is not only the conversion of the planes, but also Air Tran flew a lot of international routes. Theres this big process that has to happen with the Southwest flight attendant and pilot unions, as well as additional required training for international flights.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.