1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest 1st time flier....

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by CaliMike, Oct 6, 2016.

1. CaliMike

CaliMike Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm flying on Southwest for the first time to Vegas. I will leave on a Wednesday and return on a Saturday for a quick trip. I'll be flying from Burbank. Since this is my first time flying on Southwest, is there any tips or info of what to expect. I read about the cattle call. I will be traveling with another person. I read about the 24 hr check in before the flight. Usually what boarding position will that get you? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. 93 Octane

93 Octane Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always buy the early bird for best chance getting your preferred seat(s) and I've never not done 24 hour check in so can't help on what happens if you don't... my experience is the earlier your tickets are purchased the better your boarding position

My goal is to not stay sober
    Here I come Aloha Specialties
  3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be at your computer or phone a few minutes before the 24 hrs ready to checkin. It will usually get you at least middle of the pack, but it varies widely. You will get a seat, no problem but may not be together, or could be a middle. For such a short flight, you will be fine.

Other than that, easy stuff. They explain the boarding process at the gate. You will see signs with your boarding number. It works very well.

4. eaglejohn

eaglejohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would not bother with early boarding pass for a quick flight from Cal. Really doesn't matter where you sit for that short a flight. As above, just check in 24 hours ahead. Boarding process is easy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never purchased the early bird. I always think that my boarding position is the first gamble of the trip. The worst boarding I've gotten to date is in the B-20's by checking in at the 24 hour mark. The SW app makes it really easy to check in.

Mark

6. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to agree about not purchasing the early bird check in, especially for a 50-minute flight. As long as you check in right at the 24-hour mark, you should be in the A or B boarding group. This will ensure you an aisle or window seat. (You just don't want to be in the C group, if you can avoid it.)

I have purchased early bird check-in for every flight for the last couple of years. I recently found that if my flight is changed, either voluntarily or involuntarily, the early bird check in position is lost. It can be refunded for an involuntary change, but it doesn't change the fact that it's lost. And getting the refund can be a hassle.

Use the SW app to check yourself in for your return flight.

For a flight to/from Burbank, even a middle seat would be fine. You'll barely have a chance to finish your pretzels before you land.

7. grosx2

grosx2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just to clarify since it's your first time on SWA, if you skip early bird and check in at the 24 hour mark, you want to do this RIGHT AT the 24 hour mark.

Like if your flight is at 5pm on 10/20, then you want to be on your Internet machine at 4:59pm on 10/19 with your name and confirmation # already typed in, waiting for the clock to flip to 5pm to click the check in button. Set an alarm on your phone for a few minutes before 5 as a reminder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. CaliMike

CaliMike Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you all for your replies and advice. They are greatly appreciated.

9. vegasdev

vegasdev Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it is a short flight, would not pay extra for early bird. the boarding groups are A/B/C. even when you check in 24 hours early, B is often the best you will get. this brief flight will be the perfect test to see if you want to fly SW again. I have flown SW dozens of times, nothing fancy but as a solo traveler it works for me. maybe I shouldn't say this but people do it all of the time; if one of you boards early and gets a good seat, you can save the seat next to you for your partner, just throw your backpack or something in the seat. if someone asks, just say it is taken. it is frowned upon by some, but common practice nonetheless.

10. CaliMike

CaliMike Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since we are buying the tickets together, is only one check in good, or I have to check both of us in? I mean I only have to check in once or twice for each of us?

11. grosx2

grosx2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Both travelers will need to be checked in separately with their own confirmation number.

12. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always check-in 23 hours and 59 minutes prior to the flight and usually get between A45 and A60. Once I got B2. Your flight isn't on a Thursday or Friday to Vegas or a Sunday or Monday from Vegas so it might not even be full, but it will be almost full. Also in Burbank you load from both the front and back of the plane which I like.

13. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do a trial checkin hours before so you know how to do it.

14. FullPay

FullPay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a very good suggestion. If you do everything correctly you will get an "Oops, something went wrong" type of message; no harm,no foul. I used to set up the check in on two devices and start trying a minute or two early. My brother says twenty seconds early is the sweet spot.

15. vegasdev

vegasdev Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wow that sound extreme but I like it.

16. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When they say check in 24 hours early, they mean on the button. If your flight is 11:35 am, set your phone to buzz at 11:34 the prior day. Even when we hit is spot on this way, we're usually early b class.

B is fine though. We always have seats together and are mid plane. C is where it starts becoming a pain.

Also, for the other question, you need to check in BOTH, or one person is stuck trying to hold the seat. Since SW has a first come, first serve boarding policy, this is not fun....so check in both. (If you DO get stuck with one person holdin the seat, sit in the middle, as couples will avoid and thus you have to say "sorrry, it's taken" way less than if you leave two side-by-side open seats.)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    Sooooo far away still...
    Cosmo, always our favorite part of our trip!
  17. Rush

Rush High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Look for the pretty call girls on the Burbank flight! I almost fell outta my chair at the airport last trip, watching them stand on line.

18. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To be sure, when you purchase the actual early bird check in ($15/pp) you don't or shouldn't have to do any 24 hour check in?

19. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ High-Roller

If you purchase EB you still have to check in but you can do so at any time within 24 hrs of your flight.

20. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope. The system auto assigns your boarding number just before the 24 hr mark. Of course, if 50 other people bought the early checkin BEFORE you bought it, they are all in front of you. Last few trips we were around A45, with tickets purchased about 60 days out.

• Informative Informative x 2