1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sorry, but I won't be Bacchanal

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by daere, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daere

daere Tourist

Sep 27, 2005
    After reading several reviews of Caesars' new Bacchanal Buffet, I was excited to give it a try, but was tremendously disappointed.

First, the service. Our wait in the "regular" line at 11:30 this morning was around 30 minutes. Normally, I'd have no problem with that, but when we did pay and were shown to our table, I noticed that only about 1/3 of the tables were full. Other reviewers have pointed this same phenomenon out, so I can only conclude that CP is trying to make their high-rollers feel more "special", or that they'd like people to pony up the extra $15 to jump the line, or that, if all tables were full, the chefs at the food stations would be unable to keep up.

About that table: it was either too high, or my chair was too low. I still can't decide which, but either way, it was uncomfortable. My chair also straddled a carpet/ marble divide, with the back legs on marble and the front on carpet not a big deal at a normal restaurant, but at a buffet, this wasn't ideal.

I would, in fact, like to meet the idiot that designed the room. First, it's a clear rip-off of the design at Aria's buffet. (I did enjoy the light fixtures on the pillars outside the buffet). Second, the layout was confusing and somewhat claustrophobic, with the Asian area tucked into an odd dead-end. The stations where food was being prepared to order forced the lines of people waiting to block other areas. And the sneeze-guards were way too low, making it nearly impossible to reach food towards the rear.

On to the food: there isn't much special here that can't be found at Aria, Wicked Spoon, or Wynn (my favorite). The carved meats looked rather greasy, and the whole roasted chickens were shriveled and pathetic-looking. The sushi selection was decent, but if you're a shellfish lover, you're better off at the Aria or perhaps the Bellagio. The Mexican station was unstaffed--I'd been looking forward to a fresh-made tortilla, but oh well. The quality overall was good, but not great, and certainly not worthy of the price they're asking.

We ended up leaving after one plate--it was that bad. I expressed my displeasure to manager type on my way out, but she could barely say "I'm sorry". If you're looking for a great buffet on the strip, and willing to pay these prices, head for the Wynn, Aria, or Wicked Spoon--but avoid the Bacchanal.
  2. CitizenJ

CitizenJ Tourist

Mar 19, 2013
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can just say that I loved it, was there 2 weeks ago. I've tried rio, Wynn, and Planet Hollywoods, and this was my favorite by far. the food I had was amazing , the deserts were great, our servers (multiple) were on top of things and fast with drinks. we mentioned at one point we couldn't find an item, and they went and got it for us.

Also, we ate dinner, at about 9pm. so as opposed to the lunch menu we got the dinner menu, so maybe there is a difference there. I didn't notice any of the "poor layout" or "ripped off layout" issues.
  3. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Dec 12, 2009
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am also a lover of the Bacchanal Buffet and go there almost exclusively now. I think I've had all the nicer buffets in Vegas and I find Bacchanal to be consistently better than the rest. I was somewhat disappointed in Aria's newly remodeled buffet (as can be read in my review a while back).

As for the long wait with empty tables around, I see that at every buffet. I'm starting to think it's done on purpose for logistical reasons. If you fill all the tables as fast as you can when it starts getting busy, you end up with tons of people going to get food at the same time, then nobody getting food, then tons of people getting more food. And then you end up with a large portion of the tables turning over at the same time. If you fill these as fast as you can, you start the cycle all over again. So I just assume they use the hostess stand as a bottle neck. Does that seem plausible?
  4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Feb 18, 2011
    Somewhere in Middle America
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was younger, going to a restaurant and being told it was 45 minute wait with all kinds of empty tables used to p*ss me off. Then when I got a job in a hotel I learned why. It's the wait staff level. They won't seat people unless the table is "open" and has servers, bussers, etc. assigned to it. Many people don't think of this when they see a huge line and tons of totally empty tables.
  5. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Jul 29, 2011
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.