1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Something New or Something Tried-and-True?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by sco5123, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like to explore but the reason I do this is because I want to know what and where I can go back to time and time again. I appreciate the familiar, or tried-and-true. Some people will basically only drink and gamble because that is what they know and love about Vegas.

But some people dibble and dabble in new things or almost exclusively focus on new things when out in Vegas whether that be new events, hotels they have never stayed in, new attractions, shows they have never seen, a different restaurant, etc...

So in LV, are you most often looking for something new or something tried-and-true?

2. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the most part I've skewed to the something new side of things, but really its a mix of both.

I like trying out new hotels each stay. Over time I may well pick a "home" one I prefer, but for now its fun to try different ones.

I like seeing shows in Vegas, but not enough to want to re-watch them generally, so I'm always looking out for new shows, or other headliners there for my dates.

For fancier restaurants, its like hotels. I like seeing whats out there and discovering more than going with the familiar.

But for a bunch of other things (buffets, places to play, games to play, cheap/fast food, etc) I will often stick with the familiar and reliable. And I think without this board I'd do a lot more tried and true in general.

The issue with trying something new is the worry over having a bad experience, and how little/much extra enjoyment you think you could get from a good one. So having such good information about must-do things to try, and things to avoid, one feels much more secure trying things out.

And when you see a debate about, say, which hotel room is nicer, or which steakhouse is better, makes you want to see for yourself.

3. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would like to try a new hotel or an upgraded room, but my wife is like Nooooooooooooooooooo.

I tried to insert a few new places to eat each trip too but I feel like a lawyer pleading a case just to get her to try.

4. Lady Fortuna

Lady Fortuna High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same for me, Sco. I like to go back to my favorite hotel, restaurants, buffets, etc, but I like exploring as well, so I can add places to my list of favorites. Here at home in Amsterdam for example, I have my favorite Italian restaurant, Thai, Steakhouse and cafe, all of them for years already, and those won't change easily.

But in Vegas I still have so much to explore, I can't say I have favorites already. I usually get attached to the first thing I really enjoy, for example my first time in Vegas I stayed at Monte Carlo and liked it a lot. In future I will always compare other places with MC (location/luxury/price) and I already know it will be hard to beat! But can't say it's my favorite, cause I don't have many to compare with and there are a few resorts I really would like to stay at. But I guess it's my favorite in that price range, cause I will stay there again on my next trip.

:beer:

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh my gosh, I'm not sure I like my answer, but it's honest. I'm very much a creature of habit. I go as far as to request the same room and usually get it give or take a floor or two. Since I travel there frequently and mostly for business, I like to be able to unpack quickly and know where everything is... I can wake-up in the middle of the night and pretty much navigate the room without a light. I'm settled in quickly, so I can make the most of the free time I have... I even sit at the same bar and play the same VP machine each visit. I have no qualms about moving a seat or 2 if someone's already there (I'm not a total freak), but when I do the bartenders that I know always go, "hey... somebody's in your seat!"... I always drink Jack and Coke and often they have it at "my spot" as they see me approaching. I'm comfortable this way, though I have no qualms with exploring any other spots in town and have... but I'm very much like the guys at Cheers that sit in the same spot and order the same stuff.

6. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have my favorites that I keep returning to, but I usually try new places more often than I return to old favorites. Blogging forces me to focus on new experiences so that I have something to say. Sometimes those new places turn into old favorites, which is good because Vegas changes all the time and sometimes old favorites disappear. For instance we used to dine at Rosemary's at least once per trip. For now Viet Bistro has taken over that honor.

My last trip was more of an even split because we spent much of it playing tour guide for my father and his girlfriend, and tried and true is always best when advising others. I'm very much looking forward to our next trip so we can do more exploring!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.