1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Some hope for fee haters

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by leo21, Jul 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fat chance of this happening. First off, the facilities fees that he refers to are collected by the airport authority... a quasi government agency.

But, limiting very large, publicly traded corporations to what they can legally charge their customers is overstepping the bounds of congress, IMO. I don't think anyone would go for it. Especially if congressional lobbyist for the airlines have anything to say about it... and believe me... they will.

This is grandstanding for political support and nothing else.

3. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, I know he doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. But he is talking about it and that's better than the general silence so far. I think what Congress would have to do is change the tax code so that the airlines pay more than just sales taxes on the fees so that they don't make more profit from fees than they do tickets. That will probably slow it down.

4. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Easy solution: either fly SW or fly First class... no bag fees either way...
    ...or, you can get a credit card with your favorite airline as 'sponsor'...they all include 'waived bag fees' (I believe)... Frontier may be the exception.
    American & United do it.
    I really do not want the government telling any business what they can and cannot charge for goods or services (anti-gouging laws aside in times of natural disasters).
    Now - regulating how they advertise? That's a different story. I am completely on-board with requiring open, full disclosure by businesses for the prices they charge for goods and services.

Seems like forever from now, but the flights are booked, so it counts!
  5. Krh2o

Krh2o MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Passenger fees like checked bags, change ticket, etc. are non taxed at the federal level. The airlines do not pay taxes on those fees as they got the IRS to believe that those fees are used to pay for the service directly. They are taxed on the fares, but none of these extra fees. It was subject of a discussion last week on CNBC.

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Everyone has his or her sacred ox, what is and is not a government "overreach" and what is properly within its purview. It's all opinion.

Now if they are colluding, nail the fucktards.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  7. bdautch

bdautch High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Price-fixing/collusion is already against the law. I have zero issues with those laws (and other antitrust laws) being strictly enforced.

Seems like forever from now, but the flights are booked, so it counts!
  9. gilly from philly

gilly from philly Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The legislative calendar ends next week on July 30th for the summer recess. Things start fresh in September.

The bill is simply PR stunt, not something that is actually expected to become legislation.

10. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rather they come up with legislation that gets rid of resort fees and requires Hotels to state exactly how much you will be paying, just like with the airlines. Yeah, yeah, I know that we should be able to calculate everything ourselves but better to just specifically state the total cost when we do price searches. Will it ever happen? Who knows but I didn't think they would draft legislation that requires airlines to include the total cost so who knows.

As for baggage fees, I usually fly SW so don't worry about it. I also fly Hawaiian and because I have their cc I don't pay for my first bag anyway. I'm kind of surprised that SW doesn't charge a token amount for the 2nd bag (1st bag free), they still beat the other airlines, have decent prices and no bag fee for the 1st bag.

11. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After what happened to Jet Blue, I wouldn't be shocked to see SW add a fee for a second bag. But I think they would resist adding a fee for all bags because loading passengers on the plane quickly is essential and that process will slow down if there are no free bags.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.