1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Some closures

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by nuggetboy, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nuggetboy

nuggetboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just returned from a 15 night stay in Vegas. Found several poker rooms closed that I have haunted in the past.

Palms, Sunset Station and Texas Station have all closed.

Used to enjoy all three places. :thumbsdown:

2. bigalbr

bigalbr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's been several years since I was in Vegas, but even then the town was oversupplied with poker rooms. A few large poker rooms would meet the needs of the poker community a lot better than the huge number that spawned after the boom. The last time I was in Vegas, one of the dealers mentioned that they were getting about 2-3 shifts a week. That's pretty brutal. I wonder if the reason these smaller rooms are closing is that they can't get anybody to work in them.

3. Sinatraatthesands

Sinatraatthesands Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No that's not the reason. Poker is on a decline, the only question is how far it will go. That's not even the full list. M resort, Circus Circus, Tropicana, Riviera, Silverton and I'm sure I'm missing a couple. Poker isn't on TV much anymore. You can't play in huge tournaments online or at all online. The people who tried it at it's height and lost are gone, now it's just the people who know how to play head butting each other.

4. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On my last trip I caught the shuttle to Gold Coast and walked over to the Palms for some Poker and was like WTH, then I said oh well I guess I'll hit there nice inexpensive buffet and was hit with another WTH (no discount). I have no reason to visit the Palms anymore.

5. nuggetboy

nuggetboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Part of my stay was at the Gold Coast (who used to have a great all night poker room before it was moved to a corner and died a few years ago) and since the GC closed its' room, I've walked across the street and played the Palms myself. No such luck. I checked to make sure i didn't lose my poker comps from my last trip, went over to the cafe and had a pretty good prime rib special for $10 each with the comp credit.
    Like you, i now have no reason to ever visit the Palms again.

Sinatra, yea I've seen notices on most of the rooms you listed, i just had not seen anything on the three i added. Texas was a surprise because they had just sent me an email announcement about some new jackpot that was going to be added to the room about three weeks before my trip. I understand that Palms and Sunset had closed a a month or two before. I really liked Texas. The 2-6 game was VERY loose and easy to beat with a bunch of crazy characters at the table. All with wild stories to tell.

I find most of the rooms on the strip far too up tight and serious for my liking. I like a table that laughs and talks.
    I played mostly at South Point on my last trip and probably will again in December. Choices are dwindling.

6. DoubleUp

DoubleUp Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The hype phase of poker is over (and has perhaps been for a while now). Most of the rooms opened during that phase where not sustainable, and they are closing. I think the major players are still doing good business though (Venetian, Aria) right?

7. mwig

mwig High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are a number of rooms still doing good business. The ones that are closing are primarily the players that never really committed in the first place. A few tables in an out of the way location doesn't really make much of a statement. No question the crowds are smaller but there is still plenty of loose change to be had on every table. Based on tournament entries outside the WSOP, I am guessing the overall number of players is only down about 20% from the peak. The bad part of that is that the players that are gone were the worst ones.

8. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with the earlier comment that less rooms may actually be a good thing since it will create a more sustainable playing field at the remaining rooms. Personally I think the internet was the fuel to the poker boom and when the opportunity to play the game for very low stakes vanished so did the new players. I don't know if the game will ever get to be as large as it was but if the internet ever fully opens back up I think we'll see another mini boom.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.