1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Solo in Vegas

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Kstacho, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kstacho

Kstacho Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1 week ago today I was asked to attend ConExpo which only happens once every three years in vegas (I'm not complaining). Basically it is the largest construction convention in the US at 130,000 attendees, and I am attending to prospect for new customers. I've never been to Vegas solo before, and honestly I'm thinking there are some benefits to that; however it's going to be weird going out to eat alone. Does anyone have any recommendations on good restaurants to dine at with bar seating? I am able to spend up to $59 per dinner, and don't mind covering more for the right experience. Looking for Italian, Sushi and Steak (3 different nights).

Also, does anyone have ideas for what to do / where to go while you've stayed solo before? I will do plenty of gambling, but I really only play about 2 hours at a time and I think I will have about 6-8 to fill in after work each night.

All suggestions are appreciated!

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    90% of my monthly visits are solo (business related) and one of the things I LOVE about Vegas is that I rarely feel like I'm alone. Because I usually have meetings in the morning, I don't try to "do" Vegas like the casual traveler does. I learned a long time ago that tearing-up the evening, just makes for a looooooong ass day the next. I often take clients to dinner, but on the nights that I don't... I get back to the hotel from meetings/appointments between 4:30-5:30 p.m. Fix myself a cocktailm(Jack & Coke) in the room, take a shower and change into my comfortable clothes. I'll go down to the bar and play some video-poker for a bit and have a couple more drinks. Then I'll go eat, generally at anyplace where there's food-service at the bar. That's A LOT of places! I can order a great meal and watch some sports or chat up the bartender or others sitting at the bar... often solo as well. I usually don't drink alcohol at dinner.

After dinner it could be 7:30-8:00 p.m. and I'll either go play a little more VP and have a few drinks or go for a walk. I try to be in my room by about 10 p.m., which allows me plenty of sleep, so when the alarm clock goes off at 7 a.m. I'm up and refreshed.

You state, you're attending the conference "prospecting" for new customers... find somebody you hit it off with a bit, chat 'em up... maybe they'll go have dinner with you or a couple drinks. I'm assuming you'll be on the strip, so in the event you are solo still in the evening, go outside your property and go visit some others. They're all similar in many ways, but all SO unique in others. Get out and explore! Check out the new Linq area over by Harrah's and the Quad. That whole area is supposed (just opened) to be a very walkable area... very different than the huge properties it takes forever to walk in and out of...

OR... you could do it the way many do Vegas solo... run from the conference to the nearest gaming device or table and start drinking heavily. By 8 or 9, you'll have a great heater going. With each drink you'll feel more emboldened to drink more and spend more... to hell with time and with dinner. By midnight, you'll start saying to yourself, "OK... If I get to sleep by 2 a.m., I'll still get 6 hours sleep. You'll keep moving that hour later and then you'll say, "OK, so I really don't need to be at the welcoming breakfast and I can register later, so as long as I get to bed by XX I'll be OK. Then, at some point (usually crawling out of the taxi returning from the strip club... hopefully you have enough left for the fare) around 4-5 a.m. you'll think, "if I just go up lay down for a few, I can show-up, get my name-tag, walk-around for a bit and I can claim to have been there all day... hell there's 130,000 people there... they'll never notice I went back to the hotel at noon.

I really recommend the first way of doing the conference... there's plenty of time to "wear the lampshade on your head" in Vegas on your own time... handling business in Las Vegas will make you look good to the boss and you'll feel better about yourself.

I know you asked for specific places, but really there's so many... I hope you have good time.

3. Franken Dean

Franken Dean Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When, I lived in palm springs, I would drive up solo, on occasion. I preferred being downtown, I would usually played BJ and socialize with the table mates. IMO the strip was more group oriented, and less friendly. I would suggest a rental, so you can also, move around more and see some the little joints, that you cannot see very easily with a group.

4. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done it twice, and likely again soon. Yea, food is the hardest part. I had a great meal at Burgr at the bar, that was cool. I also went to Bouchon (breakfast is the easiest solo, because it's so casual). I think for the rest I kept it pretty casual, fast food. I did the buffets a few times, that's ok. It's just annoying to have nobody holding down fort at your table.

I had no problems going to a show alone! I saw Penn & Teller, Boyz II Men and Taylor Hicks, all no problem at all being solo.

I don't know if you'll have a car, but I went to Red Rock, and the Neon Museum...

Basically, I just keep it mellow on my solo trips. I'm not partying, or staying out till 3 am. I enjoyed relaxing in my nice room, taking a bath.. watching some tv. But that's just what I enjoy. The best part about being solo is doing whatever you want!!

5. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done about half my trips solo, although I have a friend who lives in Vegas so I'll have a dinner with him. But most of the time I'm by myself. I also did a convention solo, NAB, and may do it solo this year.

Pretty much eat anywhere you'd want to. I like eating at the bar and I have found bartenders will talk to you as much as you want to. I preferred not overly crowded bars. I'm comfortable eating at buffets alone. I also had some expensive meals alone, which was fine, but I wished there was someone there to talk about the meal! I found that Vegas restaurants will seat you at the bar by default, but I like that anyway.

Shows alone are totally fine, just go if you want to. Gambling alone is, of course, fine. As people mentioned, if you have a car go to Red Rock, Neon Museum, Valley of Fire. Although Valley of Fire is a longer trip.

Lastly, the best time I ever had at a convention was when I went to workshops. I learned a lot and felt very involved. If my NAB trip this year is solo then I'll go to some workshops and talks even though it will cost me money.

Have a great time!

6. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have yet to find a place where I can't eat at the bar with the full menu. The only situation where I think I would feel awkward is with some sort of 4-5+ course tasting menu. I'd ask for a table then.

You mentioned italian, so just going to throw out Scarpetta at Cosmo. I have never eaten there, but it is on my list when I head there in a few weeks. I have read nothing but good reviews.

The steak place I will be heading to will be Gordeon Ramsay in Paris.

Both are certainly on the higher end. I can't give a lower end suggest for italian in Vegas. My last experience was at the place in NYNY and I was not impressed.

7. dannyocean

dannyocean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The bar at StripSteak (Mandalay Bay) is a great place to eat solo. Very lively. Lots of good people watching.

8. mgill1974

mgill1974 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go to Vegas solo 99% of the time, I prefer it actually.

If you like buffets, skip the Bellagio line and go straight to the bar

9. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went to L'Atellier de Joel Rubochon (sp?) solo and sat at the bar. I did see another solo diner but I quickly surmised that he was an expert and would happily tell me that if I engaged him in conversation. Anyway, I had a great time and talked a bit to the couple next to me. The meal was absurdly good and expensive.

10. tex55

tex55 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go to Vegas solo about 90% of the time (wife hates Vegas). Vegas is a great place to go solo, you can get a full menu at most restaurant bars. Bartenders are friendly as well.

And if you hit a hot table, you will have loads of friends!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.