1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

So? Where were you when JFK was assassinated?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by dmr, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to show my real age but I remember it vividly.

We were in science class. Fortunately the teacher had a radio and turned it on. It was not the famous Cronkite announcement but I remember quite well the announcer coming on "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States is dead." :( They then cut to some very somber music for a few minutes and back to the news reports. :(

That Sunday my mom was watching the live Dallas coverage when Oswald was shot. She let out a scream which woke up the neighborhood!

Where were you? (I suppose "not even planned" is the answer for many of you.)

2. Cherrymilf

Cherrymilf Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was living in Greenwich Village and I was 3 years old so I don't recall anything.
    I remember MLK though, but I was almost 8 when that happened.

3. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in my high school Spanish class when we heard he'd been shot. They announced his death while in my geometry class shortly thereafter. They're right – it's hard to forget where you were.

4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup. My parents were "courting" at the time, so I remember nothing as I wasn't alive.

Years ago I was engaged to an older guy who remembered it well. He was in school like you and says it was surreal. They sent everyone home and he described people sitting on the sidewalk and crying all over town.

You probably remember the duck and cover drills too. :)

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vivid memory...Home from grade school for lunch and heard it on the radio.

The only TV we owned was in the living room, so most of the days the radio was our source of news & entertainment during the day.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was 5, so really don't remember it, other than the incredible sadness at our house.

7. M0rtyC

M0rtyC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Grew up in a small town in NC. I was 7 and when I walked home from school my mother met me in tears. My most vivid memory was not being able to watch cartoons on Saturday morning. Hey, I was a kid.

Looking back, that really was the end of the innocence.

Bonus early day Downtown
    Annual end of the rodeo trip
  8. Natural21

Natural21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in 7th grade science class. Will never forget that day.

9. ardee

ardee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In 2nd grade. The teachers were all crying as they took the school out to the flagpole to say the Pledge of Allegiance.

As for the dee part of ardee, I wasn't born yet.
    I know it affected my parents quite a lot, being from Massachusetts.
    Dad and Mom were very much Kennedy Democrats.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  10. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    8th grade health class.

But my most vivid memory was the day of the state funeral. Being 13, I was restless & did not want to sit there all day in front of the TV.

So, I got on my bike & rode all around town for a couple of hours.

It was a central Texas town of about 30,000. I saw nobody outside. I could ride right down the middle of the main streets, as there were no cars on the road.

Strange memory.

11. wormhole

wormhole Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was 7. What I remember was watching the funeral procession on TV.

I don't remember the MLK shooting, but do remember RFK being shot the same year. My first memory of MLK was hearing about him in some high school classes a few years later.

12. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember both of these as well. I remember hearing of MLK, but I don't remember the exact time or location. I do remember the news reports that evening. :(

I remember hearing about RFK on the news the next morning.

What I remember most was the funeral. I was then in my early teens and on Saturday I would often go into the city to go shopping and such. I wandered over by St. Pats and saw the set-up of the TV cameras and such. Being of that age, I tried to position myself in front of the cameras but I'm not sure if I was ever picked up or not. Nobody at home saw me.

13. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

10th grade. Mrs. Hanahan's English class. It was on the P.A. I was stunned and don't recall any details.

A black friend from the dorm stopped me on the Richland Avenue bridge and told me about Martin. He was angry and hurt. I was profoundly sad and a little afraid. Both that summer and the next, things were a bit dicey occasionally in my mostly black neighborhood. I was a summer letter carrier and thus personified the US government in the minds of some residents who didn't know me.

Bobby I saw at home on the national news. I felt angry and hurt. Bobby was my man. I could not have voted for any of the three men who ran that year.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  14. gguerra

gguerra Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was probably in a crib asleep. I was 8 months old.

15. wizard950

wizard950 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had just graduated high school in June of 63 and was working at the Stetson Hat Company in Philadelphia (saving $$ for college). We had just come back from lunch when one of the guys in the lacquer room said the President had been shot. We all gathered around 1 tiny transistor radio listening for every detail. Work just stopped, the factory closed and we all went home. It was the quietest, saddest bus ride of my life. All that promise, all that good feeling gone in an instant.

16. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    10th Grade American History class at Roman Catholic High School in Philly. The teacher, one of the best I ever had stopped in mid sentence and went to the Discipline Office next door where a radio was playing. He came back in and said Kennedy had been shot. At first, no one believed him. I knew even then that I would never forget that day, nor Walter Cronkite, God Himself, saying "The President is dead" and taking his glasses off.

17. Corinne

Corinne Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aged eight and at school in the UK. I remember we had a teacher from America who had done an exchange year with our teacher. She was in tears in the classroom but none of us really knew what it was all about. We knew it was something that had happened from where she came from and we had all just had to learn (off by heart) all the States in America so it made a little sense to us. It's one of the very few things I do remember from school.

18. oghuman

oghuman High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in Gym class in a Catholic High School in Brooklyn, NY when it was announced over the loud speaker. Everyone was pretty much in disbelief.
    JFK was buried on my brother's birthday, so it was very memorable.

19. meyers67

meyers67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was playing craps at the Desert Inn. The pit boss told everyone at the table.

The roller sevened out on the next roll. I was so pissed.

20. flysrb

flysrb Hey Now!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was 7 and in the 2nd grade. My teacher was called into the hall and came back crying. Never had seen a teacher cry. The class was stunned. Sad day.

HEY NOW! NYE in AC!!!!!!!
    Hey Now! 6 days in Biloxi....plus early Mardi Gras Parades!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.