1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

So freaking close to a hole in one

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by parallax, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parallax

parallax Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A couple of weeks ago I received a call from an attorney who is outside counsel to my company on a Saturday morning and he asked if I wanted to play golf. One person in the foursome had to cancel at the last minute. The tee time was about 55 minutes away and it was at Congressional Country Club in MD. Fortunately, I live only about 10-15 minutes away. I got there quick enough and was able to hit 5 balls on the range and hit a couple of of putts. I expected to play bad. After scrambling to get a six on the first hole, we walked up to the par 3 second hole. It was about 205 from the tee to the hole. I was debating between my 3 iron and my hybrid and decided to go with my 3 iron. I proceeded to my best 3 iron shot ever. The ball landed about 7 feet from the hole and was tracking right toward the hole. All of sudden it veered of track a little bit and stopped on the right edge of a cup. When we got to the hole, it appears that a leaf caused it to veer slightly of course. It was a little bittersweet. I ended up playing well and shot a respectable 86. The last team I played there I barely broke a 100.

2. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stupid leaf. Great shot!

3. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice! Did you putt or pick it up?

Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
  4. parallax

parallax Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had to putt. Even I couldn't miss from less than a quarter inch.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

So close, yet so far ...

Hey, NICE shot. Remember, an ace is dumb luck. A shot that finishes right near the hole is the result of sheer skill and ability!

But I'd like to be dumb just once. (No one go there!)

6. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From 200 yards inches away must have looked like in. Great track to have done it on too.
    I got a closest to the pin in a tournament 31/2" on a 175 par 3 that would have paid $10,000 for the ace.
    Was 5" at Pebble # 7.
    But I don't know what I'd do if I did what Ken did and hole after flushing my tee shot like Ken did. Anything to be like Freddie?

7. parallax

parallax Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very nice. The caddy thought it was going in for sure. The pin was not in the most difficult spot and he knew how the ball funneled on the green. Oh, well. I will add this to my list of great near misses. I almost had an albatross on a Par 5 twenty years ago. It ended up about two inches away as it lipped out the hole. Although, it would have been no where near as legitimate as the hole-in-one. The par 5 was on a muni course and I hit my drive about 350 (at least 80 yards of it was roll). The fairways were like cement. It was a short PW into the green.

8. nickle

nickle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice shot. Must have looked like it was leaning against the flagstick!

Celebrating 70th year
  9. bubbakitty

bubbakitty native Texan; born and bred.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would speak to the groundskeeper about pin placements....they were THAT close.....CONGRATS!!

1st Super Bowl DT...Panthers / Browns no doubt
    Spur of momento trip
  10. M_ILIS

M_ILIS High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice shot, parallax. When I first saw this thread title, I thought you might be one of the guys I played Bear's Best with last Sunday. He hit his tee shot on the fourth hole (replica of Old Works with the black slag "sand") as close as I've ever seen without going in. Dead on line with the flag, just stopped about half an inch short of the cup.

11. aremel

aremel Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know what the big deal is about a Hole In One. I have done it over a dozen times at my favorite Putt Putt Golf Course. :) Shameless ... I know :kill:

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.