1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Smart phone/laptop fixes?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by DonD, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonD

DonD Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Motorola Droid Razr M phone started acting up with the battery draining within 4-5 hours. It normally lasted over a day without fail. Anyway, my son-in-law who is a Senior IT help desk guy for a large company came over and I asked him if he would replace the battery on my phone for me. He said, how do you know it's the battery? I said, shit, it only lasts for a few hours now, what else could it be?

He then said to me, that it is NOT a cell phone, it's a computer that you can make and recive calls with. He then asked me what is the first thing that any help desk asks you to do whenever you have a problem with your computer? I said they always ask me to re-boot my computer and he said your phone is a computer and when was the last time I had turned it off and on? I told him I don't remember. He suggested that I try doing that before we do anything else mainly because that the easiest and cheapest thing to try. I said OK and turned it off and on and then the battery lasted for several hours without any drain. I then told him jokingly that he was an asshole for making me look so stupid, We both laughed and I was happy.

He also told me that he re-boots his own phone almost every day. He went on to say that all these apps that we install sometimes have little bugs and can screw up things like battery drain etc. He again repeated, you have a small laptop that is capable of making phone calls. I just thought that I would share this with our VMB community.

One more thing, he makes some big bucks and says that most of his calls for help are very simple solutions. He also went on to say that when he asks if the machine is plugged in many people either laugh or just hang up. I would say that's funny but several years ago it happened to me and I was embarrassed.

2. donfairplay

donfairplay Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a Pantech Flex. I reboot or power cycle it every day, but a few weeks ago no charger would charge it, even the car plug-in charger. So I got to see it die in front of me, and I turned it off at 18% battery.

Then I threw the hail mary - remove the battery, reseat the SIM and MicroSDHC card. It worked.

It's a damn shame though because I wanted to buy a new phone.

3. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, my wife's phone has a similar problem where there are lots of little apps that start themselves up and run in the background and if she doesn't reboot it will drain the battery pretty quickly.

Another thing is: if you have a cover on your phone it can cause the battery to get hot and that will drain the battery faster as well.

4. Publius

Publius Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You'd be amazed at all the times I just power cycle (power off/then on) the phone and it fixes the issue. I work for Verizon so I'm always helping people out. Always willing to answer any questions on phones or problems with them. Just ask and I'll do my best to answer them

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not an IT professional or work with a big company.

But, I will tell you this. REBOOT fixes so many things in life these days. Computer. Phone. TV - hell even fridge was having a problem. I unplugged it for a bit and started it back up. All is fine now. Really - ANYTHING that is acting up needs a reboot. Just like life with a wife - LOL!

Oh yea, as to phones and battery life. Folks often have some app running they forgot about that sucks the life out of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.