1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Slow Cooking

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And so, whilst perusing different ways to make Corned Beef and Cabbage (St. Patty's is coming soon) on Pinterest, I came upon somewhat of an anomaly, i.e., Slow Cooker recipes vs. Crockpot recipes. It got me to wondering if there is a difference.

Being retired with no real life, I went to Walmart to see for myself. I actually saw two young Mommys in yoga pants who looked hot, but that is a story for a different thread. Back in Appliances, a fairly decent looking Asian woman asked me if I saw any electric skillets on display. I'm sure she wanted to pick me up for sex, but I was on a mission and had no time for her.

What I found out is that one item has a ceramic insert and the other doesn't. One has more settings than the other. Although I have the large size crockpot, the slow cooker appeared to have more volume.

So, is there a difference? Can slow cooker recipes and crockpot recipes be interchanged?

I don't like using a Dutch oven because it seems that I never get the vegetables right. The potatoes and the cabbage are either undercooked or mushy.

I abhor mushy cabbage.

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just say no to mushy cabbage! :nono:

I'm a huge fan of my crock pot. I use it a lot in winter to make stews, chili, etc. Just made a big batch of chili last night and now I don't have to think about cooking for a few days.

Recipes labeled slow-cooker and crock-pot seem to be used interchangeably, but I don't know if there's actually a difference. To-may-to, to-mah-to?

4. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, y'all. Now that I think about it, the recipes could be interchangeable, just reduce the time a bit if you are using a crockpot with a slow cooker recipe.

5. Its Only Money

Its Only Money Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where can I find these two threads?

I always thought the two terms were interchangeable.

I need one more trip to up my frequent flier level
  6. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought it was like kleenex/tissue - that Crock pot was a brand of slow cooker.

Whatever you call it, I have several sizes and use them quite often. Did a pot roast on Sunday, making tikka masala chicken next weekend....

Though my large & small have the same construction (full crock inside the heating element- neither heated from the bottom only) one cooks MUCH hotter, though I almost always do everything on low. So I do have to take care with amount of liquid and I check often to make sure they're not running dry or overcooking...

7. DrLect

DrLect Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try cooking the corned beef in a pressure cooker. It only takes about 45 minutes of cooking after coming up to pressure. Throw the carrots in there too. When finished, cook the cabbage in the corned beef juice in the pressure cooker at pressure for about 5 minutes. Not mushy, but cooked and extra-flavorful. Boil some potatoes on the side and you are good to go.

New Year's Eve Dinner
  8. Rush

Rush High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have to put the veggies in well after the cooking of the meat has been going on. Usually about an hour before the meat is done, IME

9. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We cook/braise our corned beef in the oven. It's much better than boiling it. We don't mess with cabbage.

10. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer a Dutch oven because you can put it on top of the stove and brown the meat, then shove it into the oven to braise and cook the veggies.

Never made corned beef and cabbage though.

11. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love my dutch oven but don't typically use it in the oven (go figure) For low & slow I tend to prefer the crock pot. On the other hand, I'm not typically cooking beef (I don't like it much) so the browning aspect isn't as crucial in most of the things I make.

I do vary my approaches - depending on timing and just what I feel like doing. Whether or not I've used a piece of equipment or pan in a while - I like to make sure that things in my kitchen continue to earn their space there ;-)

One thing I started doing last winter was overnight steel cut oats in the crock pot. My husband even loved them (and in the previous 16 years we'd been together, not once did I see him eat oatmeal!) I've done side dishes like mashed potatoes or macaroni & cheese before big holiday meals to free up more space on the stove and in the oven (potatoes were great; mac & cheese not so much ;-) I love love love to play in the kitchen. And I do a lot of beans from dried - either plain (that I'll add to other dishes during the week) or bean soups.

I do not, however, like corned beef & cabbage :ssst:

12. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you make chili do you brown the meat first?

We don't crockpot much, but we are having chicken thighs with cream of mushroom soup in the CP tonight.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
  13. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do brown the meat first. I've tried putting it in raw and it's not good. Typically I brown the meat in a pan on the stove while I cut the veggies. I also throw half the garlic in the pan with half the chili powder as the meat is browning. Then I toss it all in and set it and forget it. ;)

I was saying yesterday that I wished that our crock pot had a "brown" setting where I could do the meat and then toss in the rest so I don't have to wash another dish. I'm super lazy when it comes to washing dishes. I hate it! I will eat off a paper towel just so I don't have to wash a dish. :haha:

14. cphllps

cphllps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love corned beef in my Crock Pot (brand name) and I always add the cabbage near the end like my recipe tells me to.

15. Geogran

Geogran OTD Tea Sipper

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always season and brown the meat first - it's worth the extra step - chicken and beef especially.

Best lesson I learned? Don't peek!

A really easy, delicious, set and forget recipe I make is: pork tenderloin ( the long skinny package), a jar of raspberry chipotle sauce poured over top the raw pork tenderloin, set it on low and forget it. Can be sliced or forked into shredded pork for sandwiches or serve as a main course. Yummy

16. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True. I read that every time you take the lid off, you add 20-30 min of cooking time.

17. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a tip for the corned beef or regular brisket fans out there. The deckle part (Fatty which sits atop the leaner easier to cook piece takes a lot longer to cook than the lean meat)

I've seen them for sale in the supermarket sold in cuts together and seperated with the lean meat being more expensive.Just suggesting if you do have a cut with both seperate them with a knife (Easy) and start the fatty part cooking earlier.And trim as much fat off as you can..The only fat you need for flavor is in the meat,not outside..

This way you will end up with 2 tender pieces without the lean meat being overdone and crumbling when slicing.
    And I hope everyone knows the proper way to slice it when serving...against the grain..position the meat so the grains(lines) in it look like this ===== and you want your knife to slice like this =I=I=I with the blade angled a bit to the left to get a larger slice instead of straight up and down.
    Have a happy St Pat's day everyone!

18. Rush

Rush High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm extremely impressed that we've had all these Dutch oven posts, and no silly jokes!

19. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love Jamesxnj's diagrams.

20. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoyed this post... since I now work from home, the family is expecting me to shoulder more of the dinner burden. I got out the crockpot and made chili yesterday. I went on-line and started looking at easy recipes for the crockpot and there's a TON of them! Didn't think about corned-beef though and I just bought the stuff for that the other day out at Costco.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.