1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sinatra 100 on HBO

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by smartone, Dec 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I missed the CBS special on Sinatra that's discussed in another thread a little further down, but just finished 4 hours of a two-(2) part HBO special. WOW!
    I never got the whole Sinatra "thing". I'm 57 and while I was certainly aware of him, didn't realize what a HUGE star he was and at a VERY early age. Lots of good film in old Vegas and the part Vegas played in his life (much of it narrated by Steve Wynn). Anyways, I found most of the whole 4 hours interesting as hell and well worth my time!

2. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah geez. So sorry I missed. I have been watching the Sinatra PBS special multiple times on different local PBS stations while cleaning. LOL. Would have loved to have watched this. I've never done "on demand' on HBO but will do it so I can watch this tomorrow. Thanks!

Edited to add a few minutes later . . . . Just did HBO On Demand and am now watching Part 1! Thanks again for the scoop!!!! It's just before midnight EST so I'll be up a while! I am 51 and was never much of a Frank Sinatra fan though I liked some of his songs. Over the past few months I have been learning more about him and listening to more of his music. Ate at Sinatra at Encore a few weeks ago and will be back in a couple of weeks!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  3. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know much about Sinatra's life except he was a star and has a hottie daughter.

Question: Did by any chance Sinatra help finance Steve Wynn when Steve was just an up and coming Vegas resort developer?

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  4. bdautch

bdautch High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The astonishing thing to me was that there were three Sinatras: teen idol, Rat Packer, ol' Blue Eyes. Not sure if the documentary saw it that way, but very few performers found a way to remain relevant in so many ways for so long. This would be like 763 Frankie Lymons, for example.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to look for it on demand. I have always been a fan. One year for Christmas my wife gave me the 4 cd, Reprise collection and I still listen to that a couple of times a year. I don't like all the songs, but some are just classic!

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  6. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow. Wow. Wow. At the tail end of part 1 His career was deemed OVER just before he got Here to Eternity, earning 8 k for 8 weeks (drop in the bucket compared to what he had previously earned) and winning an Oscar for the role. You hear his voice (lots of audio recordings by him, his first wife that he divorced but who remained a part of his life, and kids) and in one clip he talks about having helped others earn hundreds of thousands and when he was broke (had to borrow money to visit his girlfriend Eva Gardner filming in Spain) these folks didn't help. Sammy Davis echoed those comments. He fights to get the role, making for him basically no money, wins the Oscar and then overnight, almost literally, is back after being "dead" from an entertainment perspective for years. After that is apparently when the "world on a string" song is made. Wow. What a survivor. He really did have multiple lives. About to watch Part II! Kudos to HBO and the film maker. Lots of original audio of Sinatras, Eva Gardner, etc. . Some of this audio must be many decades old.

7. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They show daughter Nancy sitting at a table in front of the stage during a performance by her brother Frank Jr. and Dad and her tan is almost laughable... she was orange!

With regards to financing Steve, I don't believe it indicates anything along these lines, if it did I missed it... during a large portion of his life, it appears he spent as much as he made and then some! They even left out when Frank bought the Cal/Neva in Tahoe, though they did go into his relationship with Sam Giancana.

You hit the nail on the head! That's one of the things I found so fascinating about the whole story. The lyrics to "That's Life" really describe much of his journey. It wasn't all a rocket-ship to the moon, but very much a rollercoaster. Many sad chapters, including walking home drunk from a bar in NYC and passing out only to be found by a NYPD flashlight from a beat-cop... and this was well into one of his success periods.

There's something very timeless about him. I traditionally don't have much use for "nostalgia"... out with the old, in with the new I am, but I found this entire story, told by family and friends just fascinating! When someone sings and I feel their music, not just hear it, I'm a fan. Whitney Houston, James Taylor are like that for me. Listening to Sinatra sing last night, I'm a fan!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  8. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 to what you just said smartone about has fascinating story. Just finished watching part II. HBO did an excellent job. I like the one hour PBS special that is airing now that was made many years ago but this special was very detailed (it's also 4 times as long), very well done -- one of the best I have ever seen on tv -- and I thought it was very "frank" (no pun intended) as it showed much more of his complexities, both the extraordinarily good ones and some of the warts, which we all have.

9. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember seeing that clip! It was funny for sure. She WAS orange!

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  10. ardee

ardee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought Seth MacFarlane did a phenomenal job with "(One for my baby) And One More for the Road."
    Never really thought much of his singing one way or the other but he was spot on with capturing the melancholy
    and lyric delivery of that piece.

I'd say my favorite song of Sinatra's is "In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning".
    I had hoped it would be in the lineup and then I heard Nick Jonas' weak and lackluster singing.
    Blech.

The real star of the show was the orchestra. Loved them.

11. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree re: Seth McFarland. Who knew?

I am watching the "Main Event -- Sinatra" on the MSG channel. This was his out-of-retirement show in 1974 at Madison Square Garden. It was literally set up like a fight night, with him coming into the "ring", performing on a circular stage in the dead center of MSG. Howard Cosell did the intro. It was classic!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.