1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Shuttle or Cab...

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Jane42, Apr 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jane42

Jane42 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My trip is right around the corner!

There will be three of us and I am trying to decide if we should shuttle or cab it. They are going to want to do the cheapest!

Airport to Luxor
    Luxor to DT (probably cab due to luggage}
    DT to Airport

We have always used the shuttle to and from the airport except for my trip in October - due to lots of luggage, we used a cab and I am now spoiled! ( I was long hauled and was soooo mad that I didn't catch it!)

We actually took a bus one time traveling from DT to the NYNY - what a bust! My sister threw her back out trying to drag her luggage off the bus and then it seemed like forever to get to the hotel.......NEVER AGAIN!

Since the people traveling with me will be on a very tight budget, I know they are going to want the cheapest and I am ok with with that but if a cab would be close to the same amount, I would rather travel that way.

Any advice?

2. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Airport to Luxor: a taxi is probably going to be $15-18, shuttle would be $21-23

Luxor to Downtown: your choice is either taxi ($20-25) or the bus ($9) as there isn't a shuttle that runs from Luxor to Downtown. I would go for the taxi due to convenience (don't have to wheel luggage to a bus stop, stand around, take an hour long bus ride then wheel your luggage from the bus to the hotel).

Downtown to Airport: Taxi is going to be up around $30-35, shuttles will be around $25. I would spend the extra for the taxi because the shuttles will want to get you to the airport about 2.5-3 hours early whereas with a cab you can pretty much go by whatever time you want... and again, can be a long ride depending on how many places you need to stop at on the way.

If you get long hauled don't worry too much about it: just stiff the driver on the tip and that'll probably end up costing about the same as it would have if you weren't long hauled and tipped the driver.

And if you are really keen on taking taxis now and your friends might not be then one thing you might do is at the start of the trip just ding your friends for $20 apiece for the cab rides (airport to Luxor, Luxor to DT, DT to airport) where the total cost might be somewhere in the $65-75 range and then you can just eat the cost overrun as paying for the convenience of not having your friends make you take shuttles :) :) :)

3. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Easy way to not get long hauled: as soon as you get in the cab, whip out your phone, take a photo of the cabbie's license and tell him, don't long haul us! Works all the time for me when I need a cab. I also have the taxi cab authority number in my contact list. Only once in 16 years of traveling to Vegas did I look up and find that I was being long hauled. This was when I was with a couple friends. I quickly snapped the dudes license, he got nervous, asked what I was doing and I said calling the taxi cab authority as we were being long hauled. I explained I knew the city better than he did. Right then the meter was shut off. Five minutes later we got out, paid, left no tip, dropped a few f bombs on each other and that was it.

They will scam the sheep. Don't be part of the flock.

4. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since you are asking, and since your friends want to go the cheapest, the bus from the airport is only $2 apiece, it will drop you off by NY NY, you can take it downtown later. It's called the WAX, check other threads on it, or the mccarron website under olcal transportation, it will have routes, maps and schedules.

5. Jane42

Jane42 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the tips, everyone.

The only thing I do not want to do is take a bus with our luggage. It was way too difficult to handle luggage and then the walk to the hotel the last time we tried that. We are older and not as athletic as we used to be! lol My sister ended up throwing her back out and that walk to the NYNY turned out to be very long.....

I think asking them to just pay me what it would have cost them to take the cheapest way and then I pick up the slack sounds like the best solution. Having the costs spelled out was a big help, Auggie - thanks!

Even though I was being long-hauled, I just shut my mouth and took it - I am such a wuss.......

6. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How long is this trip that your sister takes all that luggage?

7. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jane - 3 of you? Take a town-car limo... $50 or so for an hour. 50/3= $16.66. Add in a tip of $3.37 each and that's $20 each for an hour!
    That gives you total flexibility, plenty of space for luggage, no long-haul worries, fastest service, nicest vehicle environment and reasonably inexpensive travel on a per-person basis.
    In all honesty - with all of those stops - a cab will be that much anyway!
    Now - if these trips are all split up by time, then take a cab to the Luxor. Tell the driver "no tunnel" when you get in & you should be fine. That will be cheaper than 3 shuttle tickets.
    When you get to the Luxor, call one of the shuttle companies & tell them the three of you are needing service from Luxor to downtown. They will schedule a time with you.
    Going back to the airport from downtown?
    I cannot recommend the WAX highly enough - it is THE way to get back to the airport. Get on at the Binion's bus stop - you'll be at the terminal in 30 to 45 minutes...almost as quick as a cab, but only $2 each person.
    If a bus is out of the question, try negotiating with one of the cabbies at the Binion's cab stand...often they will take you to the airport for $30, tip included...just get the driver to agree ahead of time.

Seems like forever from now, but the flights are booked, so it counts!
  8. Jane42

Jane42 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    topcard - yes, these trips will be split up, so thinking the cab would be the best way.

Merlin - actually, my two travel companions will have a suitcase each - it was me that was going to be lugging two suitcases due to my son, who is in the military, wanting me to take some things back home with me after my Vegas trip. That has changed, so we will each only have one case BUT lugging our cases to the Luxor from a bus stop was just too difficult last time, so we have opted not to do that again. We are all about CHEAP (lol) but there are some things that I have learned I will not deal with while on vacation - and that is one of them.

Thanks again for all the advice - I truly appreciate it!

9. Jane42

Jane42 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a update on how the transportation worked out for us.

The three of us took a cab to the Luxor from the airport. As soon as I got in the cab, I asked which way he was taking us. He told me he would avoid the freeway because it would cost more...THANK YOU! I was long-hauled in October and very annoyed that I didn't catch it at the time!

My nephew drove in from Phoenix for a few days, so he handled the trip from the Luxor to Downtown - so we tipped him generously - lol

One of us was leaving early, so she took the shuttle to the airport. My sister and I took a cab and I again asked the driver which way he was taking us. He also said that he would avoid the freeway because it would cost us more. It was 5 AM - there was very little traffic anywhere.

10. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My flight always leaves at 7:30am. For 2 trips I took a cab because I was worried about getting there in time. This past trip, I took the WAX. It starts at about 5:15am, and gets you to the airport at about 6:50am. I had plenty of time to get to my terminal(B23). And, I was limping along pretty good on my cane at the time. Even meet a couple of fellow VMB people.

11. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wait - you must have one of your 'times' wrong... no way the WAX takes an hour & 35 minutes to the airport... 35 minutes total? That would be about right.

Seems like forever from now, but the flights are booked, so it counts!
  12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The cost is about the same. Cab is easier. Faster.

Editorial coming - you have been warned.
    If anyone is going to Vegas and is concerned about spending $3-$6 more going in a cab vs a shuttle. Well.....I will leave it at that.
    Editorial off.

13. eaglejohn

eaglejohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will be taking a shuttle for the following reasons. Get in around 10AM and check in isn't til 3 at MSS downtown. It will be a Tuesday so probably could check in a little early but, this is my wifes first Vegas trip and figured to give her the scenic tour of the strip on the way to MSS. If time mattered, cab would be first choice. Then go to 777 for lunch and beer, and hope room is available by then.

14. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had no trouble checking in early(well before noon) at both the MSS and cal, just ask if it's too early to check in, they'll reply "let me see", and then they'll give you your room. On a tuesday it's almost a sure thing I would think. I think one time it was around 10AM.

15. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I questioned that also. Maybe a typo? 5:50 or so would sound correct.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  16. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doh... OK, I'm a bonehead... I get there about 5:50am.... That would be a LONG bus ride just to the airport. Surprised you guys didn't give me more crud. :peace:

17. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    very good grasshopper.

18. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Vegas, like most of the world, they advertise late afternoon checkins. After all, they have to get the rooms cleaned. But, they do not all magically get cleaned at exactly 3pm. We travel LOTS and probably hae a thousand hotel nights or more. Less than 5% of the time do they not have rooms ready before noon. I have even checked into a room at 7am after taking a red-eye flight. If they have a room ready, they want to get it over and one with and will check you in.

Of course, if they are already full from the night before, it will be later.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.