1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Show suggestions

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by amk121, Jun 25, 2016.

1. amk121

amk121 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I can't seem to narrow my list down, but outside of Cirque shows, what other shows would you recommend..I was thinking along the lines of a comedy show, tribute shows, magic shows..mainly something on the strip..I know I am all over the place..:) thanks all!

2. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had a good time at Penn and Teller at the Rio. Travel Zoo had a good deal on tickets. We sat in the first few rows of the top balcony which had a good view down to the stage. I realize it's not on the Strip but there is a free shuttle back and forth from Harrah's. It was pretty painless to get back and forth.

3rd Aria Stay Coming Up
  3. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Terry Fator & Raiding the Rock Vault are 2 of my favorite non-Cirque shows in Vegas.

Terry Fator is a ventriloquist/impressionist. VERY impressive & funny. Won America's Got Talent I think.

RTRV is former band members from classic rock bands (Bon Jovi to Poison to Asia). They do a series of classic rock covers from FREE in the 60s through the late 80s. I am 50 & was into alternative rock in the 80s. I took my 70YO DM--we both loved it. These are songs everyone knows. In talking to locals, this is one of the 2 shows they always go to (in addition to Absinthe--so that one might be on your to do list too)

If you want magic, I recommend Penn & Teller; I also recommend the inexpensive afternoon Mac King show. He is more old school card tricks & illusions but a lot of fun. Nathan Burton is another inexpensive illusion afternoon show that isn't too bad--a bit more cheesy than Mac.

I also have had great luck with tickets from Travelzoo, groupon, living social. Mac King you can get "free" tickets (with $10 drink purchase--avoid the premade slushie drinks, too sweet & weak) at the Total REwards counter at Harrahs.

4. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Penn & Teller are fun and you can get your pic taken with them and/or autograph after the show if you wish, they stick around for everyone in the lobby. Free shuttle to/from Bally's or Harrah's to Rio. Absinthe is the best show in town but VERY raunchy so be warned :) Carrot Top is hilarious, going to see him again next week. Nathan Burton has an afternoon comedy magic show that's usually on Groupon. Pretty good .

5. mavrik55

mavrik55 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absinthe gets my vote for best show.

I'll second Vic's recommendation of Carrot Top. He's very funny.
    Sit in front row and you'll get to have a shot with him. :beer:

I have read nothing but rave reviews for Raiding the Rock Vault. Looking forward to seeing it in a couple weeks. :headbang:

Mav

6. amk121

amk121 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks all! It sounds they are all great choices! I am leaning towards Raiding the Rock Vault or Absinthe...although with Absinthe do they ever offer discount tickets?

7. lionelhutz

lionelhutz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll also add in a recommendation for Carrot Top.
    I wasn't to keen on going to see his show originally, but it turned out to be funny as hell.
    really really good.

8. ardee

ardee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Human Nature at Venetian. Great show! We've seen them multiple times and never come away disappointed.

9. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think vegas.com has $ of Absinthe right now.
    Carrot Top is the next reasonably priced show we want to see; I just hate spending $100/ticket for a show!

10. Golfer

Golfer Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm probably in the minority, but with respect to Cirque shows, see the best, and then never see another one. If you want a really, really high energy show that is a sort of historical Las Vegas tribute, than go see Vegas the Show. Frankly, the part about the Rat Pack is superior to any Rat Pack tribute. For a topless review, I'd say Crazy Girls. The talent of the vocalist was more interesting to me than the topless part was. It ran for years at the Riviera, and I think it's on the strip now. I'd also give a vote for Gordie Brown. For the money, one of the better shows. And if you ever get a chance to see Santana, go see it.

11. ranchette

ranchette Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We saw Vegas the show two years ago is it still the same or should we see it again??

12. Golfer

Golfer Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd assume it's the same.

13. Sparky4

Sparky4 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mat Franco at the Linq. Reasonable priced show and very enjoyable. He won America's Got Talent 2 years ago.

10th anniversary
  14. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "I'm probably in the minority, but with respect to Cirque shows, see the best, and then never see another one."
    To a certain extent I agree. We loved Mystere, LOVE & Zumanity. Both fell ASLEEP during Zarkana. Can get free tickets to KA; have watched You Tube clips & it does not intrigue me at all. Last night DH said he was done with Cirque shows so looks like we are refunding those!

15. wizard950

wizard950 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fell asleep during Mystere. Best $85 nap I've ever had. The Cirque shows don't do anything for me. Two weeks ago we saw Million Dollar Quartet at Harrah's. We really enjoyed it and the price was right. Free diamond tickets. That is the kind of music we grew up with.

16. Golfer

Golfer Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I likes the Scintas. At that time, which was last summer, it was mostly Frankie. An extremely patriotic show, and he's a pretty talented guy. I got curious reading this (I've been reading this board a lot lately looking forward to another trip) so I looked up Santana's age. 68. INcredibly high energy guy, and seems to be in great health. I know 68 isn't old any longer as we've advanced, but to be 68 and give a rock concert I thought was pretty incredible.

17. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw Santana years ago and he was great. I haven't been able to time a Vegas trip to his performing but someday I will

18. DRPinVA

DRPinVA Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Plus one for Carrot Top, we laughed our asses off at his show...Plus one for Human Nature - been a few years for us, but they put on a great show also - very, very entertaining...Plus one for Raiding the Rock Vault - very reasonably priced and excellent music...a LOT of excellent musicians... Terry Fator was the only one mentioned above that we personally considered average, but most folks seem to really enjoy his show. As for a tribute show, if you like Michael Jackson, the show at the Stratosphere was very good also.

19. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jersey Boys is great Broadway show about Frankie Valli's life and his relationship with the Four Seasons. I didn't realize all the popular songs that they sang.

20. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Penn and Teller.
    Raiding the Rock Vault (assuming you like 70's-80's rock)
    Absinthe (as long as you can handle dirty jokes and language)