1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Show me yours and I'll show you mine...maybe?

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by SW, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SW

SW Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    During my first ever poker tournament back in June, there was a half dozen or more times when going head-to-head with only one other player that the other player folded and then flipped his cards up to show what he had. Not once did I reciprocate and show him my cards. I was trying hard to not let the other guys know that I was a nervous newbie (they probably knew anyway) and really did not know the ins and outs of sound poker play. I played a pretty tight game but on two of the above occasions I was bluffing. I wasn't trying too serious but on the other hand I wasn't trying to be over friendly either.

How are your thoughts?

2. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's fine, you don't have to reciprocate anything. If they give free info to you, that's their problem.

3. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually play 2-4 limit. So its not really a bluffing game so I don't mind showing my cards if the people at the table are cool or we're having fun. If someone is being a jerk I don't show. Plus sometimes I start drinking too much and its worth flipping the cards to have another set of eyes confirm that I lost....lol
    The rare occasion I play nl its a different situation at that point.

4. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only time you have to show is when they pay to see.

Personally, I like showing twice- once with the absolute nuts and once on a bluff. Really gets into their heads

Super Bowl 2017!!!!
    Super Bowl 2017!!!
  5. ARE U SRS?

ARE U SRS? Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No free information, unless you have a hand that qualifies for a special promo (quads+...)

6. Bazzito52

Bazzito52 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You were perfectly correct in your play. You are under no obligation to show your cards unless you are called at a showdown. Not showing is always the right play.

I, personally, will occasionaly show to an opponent, whom I've totally got beat, if he's contributed the majority of the money to the pot & we're heads-up when he folded. It's just a courtesy - for the courteous. If the guy's a jerk or has bluffed me out, etc. there's no way.

One more angle that's available to you, as a player, is for you to force a player to show. If the bettor or last raiser has been called on the river, any player at the table can demand to see any and all hands. This is known as the "called hand" rule. You have to speak up right away before the hands are mucked, but the dealer will have to show the hands to everyone.

You won't make many friends using this method, but it's a way to see what kind of starting hands certain players might play and for what stakes. You can also use it to irritate aggressive bluffers by forcing them to show their cards instead of simply folding when they are beat.

Many players will use this to put select opponents "on tilt." Use sparingly, but it does have its uses.

NFL Divisional Playoffs!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.