1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Should I notify host about forthcoming trip (Bellagio)?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by Harry5, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harry5

Harry5 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So last trip, my host comped me up front 7 nights in a Lakeview room (which I was surprised about, but happy to accept). No Freeplay or resort credit (not expected either).

End of the week long trip I have circa $40k slot coin in and I would estimate around 15 hours play at the tables (mix of green chip blackjack, roulette and craps-most of my time at the tables was poker which of course counts naught for comps...). Total losses for the week were circa $5k non poker gambling and dropped about $2k at the property for dinners, drinks etc.

This is completely in line with (possibly a little above) my last four or five trips. Not the most I accept, and probably not deserving of a seven night comped Lakeview room. But my play was consistent and the host offered, I didn't ask.

Anyway, on check out, he was a little pissy, indicating that expected slot coin in per day for a Lakeview room was $20k. It would take me three, week long trips to put $140k coin in through! I couldn't see the sense in those numbers either, given the cost of a room against the theo a $20k slot coin in would create. But no matter-what I didn't like was the way he tried to make me feel guilty, like I had somehow not kept my side of the deal, when it was him that offered the comp, he could see my previous numbers, and I had played in line with them.

So this time I decided I would just book through my corporate offer and not have the hassle of trying to keep a host happy. Received a winter offer of a three night weekend comp for a Salone Suite, $250 Freeplay and $300 Resort credit for 21st-24th April so have taken that and then booked a Bellagio Suite through Mlife for the other four days, which I am happy to pay for.

I had decided not to tell my host about the trip and just play as I wanted and then have the host on duty review my play before check out. I would expect to play to a similar level again though.

However, I now read elsewhere that my host will still receive credit for my play even if he didn't book me in (is this correct?).

If that is the case, would it be worthwhile/good manners to let him know I am coming? My original intention was to divorce myself from the hassle of feeling like I have to play to an expected level (I know I shouldn't but that's what the system is designed to do). But if he is still going to get the credit of my play in any event, or if I still need to go through him to assess my play before check out, then I could see a benefit in having him know I was coming-he booked a great table for us at Prime last time and he would be useful to assist on restaurant reservations (I had planned on taking some friends to Lago and Prime again this time). Given that I have booked through a corporate offer and not through him though it means at least I wouldn't have the issue of having him get pissy again whatever my level of play is for the week, I would hope...

What's the right/best thing to do? Thanks in advance....

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If a host said anything to me about play level vs the upfront comp... I would have zero response. It does not need one. You still played plenty, and still lost.

Now, for a future visit. Your host will know you are there, so no big secret.

BUT - no matter what happened on the last visit, I would still check to see if the host can do more than the corporate offers. Sometimes they can.

Do not ever, ever, ever feel obligated to the host. Play what you want and take what comps you can. I would email/call and see what they can do for his trip. And use the host for special tables, etc.

3. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally, I wouldn't worry about it and I'd probably play dumb if someone asked and just tell them you're on a corporate offer.

Don't make them feel like you owe them something.

4. Harry5

Harry5 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys, appreciate the advice.

5. Scottndindy

Scottndindy Low-Roller

You can avoid telling the host but as soon as you put your mlife card in anywhere it will show up on your hosts computer that you are there playing. Play at the level you feel comfortable. It is nice to have an upfront offer with no requirements, but if you can't communicate with your host about your play level then you might want to switch to a new host. Having a good host can make your trip a lot better.

6. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps High-Roller

Your host clearly has the relationship confused, you are his client, not the other way around. You don't "owe" your host anything, and you certainly shouldn't be scared to go through a host to get the best offer possible. I would reach out to the marketing department or whatever its titled at Bellagio and ask to have your account assigned to a new host. I'd then see if the new host could get you a better offer for your upcoming trip. I'd hate to see you pay out of pocket for 4 nights if you don't have to, all because of a previous host's frustrations.

7. makuk

makuk Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read your post with interest because you have the same feelings that I do with my host, mine comps me 7 nights up front at Caesars in the Augustus tower, and my coin in and loss for a week is about double yours, maybe $60k / $70k coin in with a loss of about $12 / $13k however, when I checked out last time I asked if they could comp some show tickets off my account, value $300 - Anyone would have thought I was asking them to comp $3000 show tickets, it was painful and embarassing and I had wished I hadn't asked.

I have 5 other weeks booked this year in various Caesars locations in the USA: Vegas, AC, Tahoe, Reno and New Orleans and when I booked those I simply booked through the TR website because I didn't want to feel that I was a burden on my host (due to the embarassment with the show tickets). I just feel that my play does not warrant a host and I would rather be without one if I am an inconvenience to them.

I think I may switch to MGM next year and try some new hotels!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.