1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

September 12 - 19 trip report. Semi live.

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by David Grant, Sep 13, 2016.

1. David Grant

David Grant Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

This is a semi live trip report. Each day I will try to recap the previous day's events.
    Yesterday sept 12th was day one. After a ten hour plane journey from Glasgow Scotland arrived at McCarron. Used the new rapid entry machines for the first time. I have to say they are great. Through immigration in no time and ready to collect my bag. Checkin at Luxor was a pain. Over 40 minutes but I got an upgrade to a tower room for my trouble. First impressions room is nice I would upgrade again.

Got unpacked and had a quick snooze for an hour. Got showered and changed and was going to walk down to the Venetian to register for the upcoming tournaments. Got about halfway there when the long journey kicked in and I was really tired. Got a taxi down, registered for the Gracie card got the info I needed and taxi back to the Luxor.

Now the strip was mobbed so the driver took me the back road and it was great to see the hotels from a different perspective and what else is behind the strip.

Back at the Luxor I decided to enter the 8:30 poker tournament. Registered and went for something to eat. Had a great slice of pizza. Still some time to kill so decided to play blackjack. Called for the poker and although I made the final table didn't cash. I was just too tired and made some silly mistakes.

Left there and played a little bit of free bet blackjack. Left after ten minutes as I was falling asleep.
    Got back to the room emptied my pockets. Counted today's stake money, after two taxis, pizza, poker, water for the room, tips etc. I was down by a massive 12 dollars.

Early night for Vegas 11:00pm (but 7:00am) for my clock and slept like a log. Woke this morning raring to go.

Let's see what today brings.
    David

Ready to take on the world at the WSOP
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad to see you made if after a long journey! Good luck. My daughter rented part of a house just off Byers Road a couple of years ago. Loved the area and Glasgow in general!

GG

Visiting en route to Palm Springs
  3. Fet297

Fet297 Vegas is my happy place!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice start. Good luck and have fun. Thanks for posting.

First trip for 2017!
  4. Candydave

Candydave mid-roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a good trip! Look forward to more posts.

5. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a win in my book.
    Good luck!

Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Vegasaddict2014

Vegasaddict2014 Low-Roller

Subscribed. Hope you have a great time. I'm flying out from MAN on the 20th!

7. spicole

spicole Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A win, indeed!

I have heard that the check-in lines at Luxor can be brutal at times.

Screw the taxis, use Uber or Lyft!

• Like Like x 1
  8. David Grant

David Grant Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Day 2 rolled around. Up nice and early got ready and out for breakfast at Nathan's in the Luxor food court. Filled a gap and set me up for the day. Yesterday's good fortune meant I didn't need to touch today's envelope. So it's going back home with me.

Registered for the Luxor 10:30 poker tournament. 45dollar buyin. It was very quiet this morning only 10 players. Up and down a little bit before making a big comeback and chopping the top two places with Chris from Texas for 170 dollars.
    Lesson learnt don't play unless fully rested. When I'm tired I don't play as well as I should. But rested I play well.

That finished at 12:30 and it was time to get some fresh air and a bit of sunshine. Took a walk down the strip. Came upon "the park" and I have to say following the hype I had read about it, decidedly underwhelming. Might be better at night but daytime nothing happening. Continued my walk down to aria where I stopped in at Jean Phillips patisserie. This has becoming a must do on every visit. Had the lemon meringue tart and it was georgeous.
    Played a little blackjack for about an hour but called it quits after 100 dollars loss.

Had a wander round crystals. Very nice shops but very expensive, I'm glad I'm not really a shopper. Crossed over to the other side of the strip and walked slowly back looking for some souvenirs to take home. Got back around 4:30 so a bit more blackjack. This time I just couldn't get any traction going up and down in the 20 dollar range. Left even ready for the evenings entertainment.

Had a 6:30 reservation at Tender steakhouse. Arrived and was shown to my table. Place was empty.
    Place itself is really nice looking. Staff are excellent and really know their job. My waiter John even follows the premier league football so we had a nice chat about that.

Amuse bouch was a beef, bacon, garlic and pickled mustard seed caprice. Very tasty.

Ordered the waygu beef fillet mignon with lyonnaise potatoes and creamed spinach. (Second most expensive item on the menu, but if you can't do that on vacation when can you do it).

Arrived medium rare as ordered and literally melted in your mouth. They give you a step knife but you could have cut this with a spoon.

A few more guests arrived and the place was beginning to fill up. Didn't have a dessert, bill came came to 140dollars so with tip that was my poker winnings from this morning gone. But well worth every cent.

Had to buy a power adaptor as I packed the European adaptor said instead of the U S adaptor. Back To the room to plug in my iPad. By now it's 7:50 next tournament starts at 8:30. I'll sit on the bed watch a little bit of the news and catch up with the outside world. Next thing I know it's 1:00 am I am still in my clothes on the bed and the tv is blaring away.

Turns off the tv and goes to bed but not before emptying my pockets. Various small purchases, great meal, two hours of poker and three hours of blackjack. Total cost of day 2 - 140 dollars.

Today (wed) is my first day in the Venetian deep stack 250 dollar no limit holdem bounty tournament.
    David

9. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the update.

10. 93 Octane

93 Octane Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck in the deepstack, played in the $440 last year and was shocked how bad the play was and of course I get gut shot on the river to end my day. Hopefully you will fare better!!

11. sam_marques

sam_marques High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really enjoying your TR and following along, can't wait for my next solo trip in January. Looking forward to more updates.

Mommys Solo Trips
  12. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good start to the report and good luck! We really enjoyed tender last week too!

13. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm enjoying your TR, David! I wander through Crystals at least once per trip. Fun place to stretch the legs and people-watch.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences and observations!

RICHARD

14. pinklime

pinklime Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck in the tourny tomorrow, can't wait to hear the details.

15. David Grant

David Grant Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Day three and today is the Venetian deep stack bounty hunter.

Usual morning routine up and ready, out for some breakfast. This time at breakfast and burgers in Excalibur. They give you a little disk that vibrates when your meal is ready to collect. Alarm goes off and I goes to collect only to come back to find the cleaning staff ready to take my drink and condiments away. Sorted that out, meal was ok, general fast food.

Got myself down to the Venetian and registered in plenty of time. Allocated table 12 seat 6. Almost 200 players.
    Off to a great start. First four rounds could not do any wrong. Almost doubled my chip stack and even took a bounty for 50 dollars. End of level 4 was the break. Got a grilled cheese from Roubon deli. Very nice.
    After the break started going hand dead. 6-2, 9-3, 7-3, 2-4 for two entire levels I didn't see a single face card, pair or even a suited connector. As you can imagine with the blinds and the antes it was beginning to eat into my stack.
    Start of level seven found myself with pocket tens. Decided to raise and got called. Flop came low. Bet out again, again called. Turn paired the board ( 3's) river was a two. Bet out once more. At this point about a third of my stack in the pot. Called again. Showdown my tens verses my opponents jacks. Gutted first hand in ages and beat.

So I am probably at this point back to my starting stack. Blinds and antes are going up and again I an hand dead not even anything I can semi bluff with.
    Gets to level nine b
    Blinds are 500 and 1000 with 100 ante. I have twelve big blinds left.

Wake up with King jack of hearts. Decide to go all in. Best hand I have had in ages. Gets under called two seats down and then called be the table chip leader. Cards go over. KJ,s KK and the chip leader AA.

Major trouble, best bet to make the flush. Flop came down two diamonds and a spade, followed by a club and finally a heart. All low. Aces held up and two of us out.

Tournaments over for today, but I will be back Saturday.

Had a quick go at blackjack in the Venetian with the bounty I won. Turned the 50 dollars into 150 and walked away.
    Floor man was having a great talk with the guy in seat seven on how he spots card counters and what happens to them when he spots them.

Walked back up to Luxor and stopped in at the tix 4 tonight booth. Decided to go see Carrot Top . Got my voucher and back to the hotel. Up to the box office and the girl behind the desk (Rosa) was brilliant got me a seat four rows from the front right in the middle. If I was to pick a seat that's the one I would have picked. I had hesitated to go see him on previous trips but not any more. I would thoroughly recommend it. Very very funny, topical, self deprecating, crude at times but nothing malicious. Overall a great show.

Dinner was chicken Parmesan at bonnucios. Pretty good. Then let's get into the gambling in a big way.
    Blackjack, free bet blackjack. Even roulette.

Let's just say I emptied my po jets as usual - 45 dollars left.
    Still that's three days from one envelope so can't complain. Including great meals tournament entry and everything else.

I now have two days off from major tournaments so time to be a tourist again.
    I hope you are enjoying reading along and many thanks for the kind comments.

David

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't play poker but enjoy reading about it in trip reports.

17. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty good seats for using Tix-4-Tonight! And I thought I had good fortune when I scored some seats in row 6!
    Congrats on the fun so far!

RICHARD

18. vegas_runner

vegas_runner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really enjoying the report. I love poker stories.

19. Mario's Backroom

Mario's Backroom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very much enjoying your report. Plan to do nothing but poker tourneys next week in my 48 hours solo. Best of luck on Sunday.

20. David Grant

David Grant Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Day 4 and everything started off well. Woke up early. Too early to get ready so put on the tv. Donald trump giving a speech at the economic club. As an outsider interesting to see.

Usual get ready, breakfast and down for the 10:30poker. 21 players, played well and was chip leader or second throughout the tournament. Paid the bubble their stake back and the three players left chopped for 217 dollars a head.

Headed on down to the gamblers general store. That place is great got everything from cards to tables, books to signs you name it's in there. Had a quick bite to eat in the cafe and spent a couple of hours wandering around.

By the time I was finished my poker winnings were gone. But I have some great stuff for the house and souvenirs.

Walked down to freemont street. Very warm and I had noticed my cough was getting worse. Had this cough for about 8 weeks now, nothing seems to shift it, back at the docs Tuesday when I get home.

Got a taxi back to the Luxor dropped off my stuff and was ready to go back out. Had a coughing fit and had to sit down on the bed. Next thing I know it's 9:00pm all disoriented and wondering where I am for a moment.

Decides to just grab a slice of pizza and stay in.
    Midnight took a tables and slept all night till 9:00am
    Let's see what today brings.
    David