1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sept airfare strategy

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by LolaDoggie, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I advice from airfare experts in here. I need a strategy for September airfare DTW to LAS. I have 3 challenges working against me; direct flights only (I'll take a redeye over changing planes), not enough airline points to cash in for free or reduced fares and I'm Canadian, so no American credit cards with airline benefits. The Canadian credit cards with travel rewards are kind of limiting in how you can redeem them.

This past September we flew Spirit. I don't think we overpaid necessarily but we didn't catch anywhere near the crazy deals I read about in here. We paid $675 total return for the two of us, 1 checked bag and 1 carry on. I have very low standards and even I felt Spirit was bad. My husband says he'll fly with them again because he feels all airlines are pretty much the same these days. I would like to keep them as last resort.

I flew Allegiant when they were Lansing to Vegas and I thought they were great. They don't do that route anymore though. They do Grand Rapids to Vegas and that's a bit far. That and they aren't as cheap as they used to be. And the issue of what if something happens to that flight? They're not a regular airline with other flights to chose from.

I feel like I need a strategy so I can try to do better for this September. Any advice?

2. mike mc

mike mc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SW has some non stops from DTW and have deals running all the time just need patience, I scored RT from Boston for $220. 00 but with a 30 min layover in Wic. (No directs for SW from Boston :cry:) for 110 buck each way I can deal with the short layover

Just Click The Book It Button It's Easy
  3. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If we switch to a carry on each, one stop or one change in planes should be OK. Not our first choice but OK and no risk of our luggage not making the flight. That alone would probably widen my options.

4. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I compare Delta, Spirit, and now Southwest.

Spirit used to be consistently cheapest, but nowadays Delta is often just over 300 round trip direct. SW is close to that too, and Ive read of seat sales bringing it into the low 200s (but never on my travel days).

5. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go to LV every Labor Day, I have gotten incredible deals the last 3 years by booking flights really early. I fly direct SWA and usually book between March and May.

GOOD LUCK!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.