1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sept 4/8th (pre Vegas)

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by searbyb, Sep 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. searbyb

searbyb Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

OK we're back totally jetlagged and dispirited! :( so I should make a start on the report to cheer myself up.

Where to start?.

To set the scene: Gail and I and our 24 year old son Geoff (just too young to drive - mixed blessing as I did 2,700 miles in the two weeks, Gail hates driving on the "wrong" side of the road so I could have used some help!) had planned this trip since last October with the help of WagerWorks and BA (Geoff's employers).

The aim was to spend the first 3 days in San Francisco mainly to satisfy Geoff's interest in Alcatraz, then drive to Vegas via a stopover at Bishop for 5 WagerWorks nights at Mirage, 3 days in Yosemite and 2 days in Los Angeles.

The first bombshell arrives on Monday 2nd September with a call from Geoff to say he cannot find his passport :eek: - a quick Tuesday drive to Durham confirms that, because of security after 9/11, a replacement will take 7 days and the rule is infexible a note can be put on the application but is unlikely to have much effect! :mad:

The second complication is that our air tickets are staff linked and must be used all travelling together. [​IMG] After a family conference we decide to go ahead and that Geoff must follow when he can. We then have to go through the tension of standby tickets for Wednesday's SF flight after a dodgy night in a London motel.

Although 29 overbooked, sufficient no-shows mean we catch the flight OK and arrive at the Sir Francis Drake on schedule to a specially booked suite which is now just for 2! (as an aside we stayed at the Sir Francis last year but as the prices were too high for a suite we had booked at a nearby 3 star hotel at $200 per night - being a naturally cheeky s.o.b. I thought nothing ventured, nothing gained [​IMG] and sent an e-mail to the Sir Francis telling them how much we had enjoyed ourselves last year (which was true) and wondering if, it being just after Labour Day, they may possibly be quiet and might like to match the other hotel price - incredibly they agreed and we got our $500 suite for $200, what a bargain.)

Anyway we had decided that Geoff would, at worst be arriving in Vegas on 11th and at best we guessed for 8th in any case the SF leg of the holiday would be wasted for him. Gail and I decided to do the Scenic (Seagull) drive and also take in the Winchester Mystery House. This was Thursday and late in the afternoon (midnight UK time) we rang to see how Geoff was feeling, to be told his passport had arrived and he would be landing on Friday just two days late - incredible.

It still means that Alcatraz looks out of the question so we decide to re-schedule the holiday, cut 1 day off Yosemite and return to SF for one day only - the Sir Francis agree to give u the suite for that night and on Saturday our united family set off for Bishop via the beautiful Tioga Pass with a stop for a picnic lunch at the side of Lake Tenaya. (Empty when we arrived - why is it that within 10 minutes of stopping anywhere invariably everybody and his Grandmother decide what a beautiful place it is to stop!).

Anyway the trip to Bishop was uneventful and we had a pleasant stop in a Comfort Inn suite. But I must recommend the Whiskey Creek Inn if anyone else stops there, the steak is the finest I have tasted anywhere in the world bar none.

On Sunday we drove through Death Valley making all the tourist stops and arrived at Mirage around 7.00pm. It was great to be able to use the invited guest line. We had qualified for three rooms (one each) through WagerWorks and I asked if they would be able to consolidate them to a small suite for our stay. An apologetic WW clerk said that as all suites were booked from Wednesday for a convention she would be unable to help. So we took the three rooms on the basis that Gail would have a refuge from snoring! It was a great feeling of decadence.

If you've read this far - congratulations! - various buffets, EFX and the rest of the Vegas expereince follow in due course.

to be continued, when I wake up zzzzzzzzzzz.... [​IMG]

2. MadBiochm

MadBiochm Tourist

I'm glad you had a nice experience with the Sir Francis Drake hotel in SF. I stayed there a couple of years ago and had a wonderful time. I remember the first night they put us in a room that was directly below the nightclub and so was LOUD well into the wee hours, but a phone call the next morning got us moved three floors lower with no problems whatsoever. Location is great (near Union Square, and one of the cable car lines goes right by the front door), and there's a fantastic Italian restaurant on the premises whose name escapes me at the moment (Scala's?). If any of you Vegasophiles ever get to San Francisco, the Drake is a great choice.

3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you caught up from jet lag yet?? Breathlessly awaiting the next installment :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.