1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Senior humor-how did we survive?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. SW

SW Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cool video! I remember quite a bit of those things being a kid born in the early 60's.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Need to look at the video, but I was born in 1960 and don't remotely consider myself a senior.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Ken, AARP has considered you a senior for quite a few years already!:poke:

Christmas
  5. ken2v

Very true, Joe, but that's for AARP and anyone who thinks a certain generic assignment fits them. Not me, brah.

6. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas certified personal trainer/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This 1960 baby agrees with you, Ken :)

7. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1960 I was a sophmore in h.s.

But I wouldnt trade growing up in the 50's and early 60's for all the computers, cellphones xboxes and rap music in the world.

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jeez, I think you're missing the point. It was a humorous video about those of us who grew up in the 50s & 60s.

Just because I became a certain age and am eligible to collect Social Security, doesn't mean my life changes.

Somebody calling me senior doesn't bother me in the least.:poke: Keep all the senior discounts coming.:thumbsup: I earned them, I lived this long!

Sorry some of you are a little touchy about it. I happily use my AARP charge card and get 3% cash back on all restaurant bills, plus the AARP discounts at some hotels.:thumbsup:

Christmas
  9. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A great video, thanks for posting.

10. ken2v

Touchy? We seem to have set you off a bit, no? It's all good.

The vid was fun, lotta truth -- and remembrance -- in there.

I just think the senior moniker is silly.

11. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Time have changed, I remember getting the gang together and riding our bikes to the park and playing ball all day. Nowadays the ball fields are empty with the exception of organized teams.

Communication was a lot different them. If you wanted to reach a buddy you had to ring a door bell or call on a land line, there was no backdoor channels of communication in those days. I remember when I would call a girl friend I hoped the father wouldn't answer because that was like going through an instant background check.

Good memories, how the heck did we survive.

12. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So... how do we address people like you...seniors in denial???

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  13. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love how I grew-up (born in 1958) exactly as depicted in the video... do they still have Civil Defense drills in elementary school? With regards tot he age, senior "thing"... it's just a number. I love the quote, "how old would you be, if you didn't now how old you are?" Mentally, I still feel 25, but damn the physiological parts of me just won't agree with that!

14. CJ's

CJ's Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah brought back fond memories :evillaugh

Even though I was a late 60's child more 70's I do remember "playing out" till the street lights came on and my mom yelling it was time to come in. :rolleyes2:

I recall playing with freinds and getting smacked in the face with a garden rake splitting my lip. No dashing off to A&E and ensuing assault case just laughed it off spat out some blood got a butterfly stitch off freinds mum and carried on playing with a fat lip :wink2:

The way I like to start a new year
  15. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I grew up in the late 80s/early 90's and I can even relate to alot of that. I was always outside playing with friends till the street lights came on then it was time to go home. Except for in the summer time we were allowed to play late into the night.

I hate how this county is becoming a giant land of pussies. I'm tired of how parents thinks their kid is just as equal as the next kid. Well you know what some kids are gonna suck at sports, some kids are gonna fail in school, stop giving them "participation trophies" and bring back the competition. Everyone is good at something, let them figure it out instead of sucking at 10 different things while lying to them saying how good they are.

16. ken2v

Loved the bit about not everyone being chosen for the team. That happened to me one year in LL when all my friends moved up to Coast, and I played another year of Minors. I was devastated and of course because I wasn't mollycoddled I turned into a serial murderer. I also torture puppies, of course.

I'm involved with Special Olympics. I GET the participation ribbon (well not personally, but you know what I mean). For kids or teens w/o special needs? WTF?!?

Now some of that nostalgic bravura is silly, and cranium-and-concrete interactions do not usually go to the home team, so a helmet on a bike rider is not a bad idea. But come on ...

Sincerely,

53 forever stuck at 19

17. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1949 baby here. Played LL baseball and football. Sucked at both of them, just barely made the baseball tean, last one kept, and managed to pinch-hit a double that won the local championship and got carried off the field.

Never could play any sports very well, sucked even at pool. Couldn't bowl. Oh, that was something! Get Mom to give you a buck (a fortune!) and go to a bowling alley, which were everywhere, and bowl for 10 cents a game, a quarter for the shoes and have enough left over for a real fountain coke. Someday, someday, I dreamt about having enough money to buy one of the hot dogs that spun around under the heat lamp.

Once a year, the Kiwanis Club would take us to a Phillies game and give us a bag of peanuts and a quarter to spend. We sat in the center field bleachers and I can remember seeing Richie Ashburn, Willie Mays, Duke Snider, right there, 25 feet away. When they went back for a deep fly, they were right in your face. Unbelievable!

We would go "back the crick", the Wissahickon Creek, and hike for hours, camp out, build fires, toast marshmallows. We played massive games of Hide The Flag and Tag. Climb rocks. Although I was scared shitless, I'll never forget the time I got to Billy Penn's statue by climbing straight up the face of the cliff.

Unless you were a real "brain", you were either drafted or joined a branch of the military right out of high school. I joined the Air Force and volunteered for Vietnam. That simple act of an 18 year old led to an incredibly rewarding career in the DoD and my present retired status.

Zorro and Davy Crockett were the boyhood heroes. I was in 7th Grade when the Mercury series began and those guys were thought to be super human idols.

When I was in 10th Grade, the radio started playing this British stuff. All of our girl acquaintances swooned over The Beatles and if you didn't take your girlfriend to see A Hard Day's Night, you were dumped.

It was so great because everything was new, groundbreaking, revolutionary. Young people began to realize that they had some power. It would no longer be the status quo, everything would be a different, never seen before experience.

"Colored People" began to demand the rights that they had always been denied.

I could not have picked a better time to have experienced life.

18. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Born in 1944, and those years between 1952 - 1958 were the fun years. Times were simple, and you made your own fun & entertainment ... riding my bike all around, going into the "woods" and fishing in the creek, played sand-lot "piggy move-up" baseball during the day, and organized "little league" in the early evening ... every day was non-stop outdoors play.

Now, in my elder years, I always enjoy seeing pictures & videos about those simple "good old days" that we'll never see again .... but I'm still a very active "senior" , and proud of it. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.