1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Semi non geek netbook help needed

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have some computer knowledge and compared to my older brothers, I'm a rocket scientist, but I need help.

One of my older brothers, (73) bought a Netbook because his 8 yr old laptop is on it's last legs. I admire that my 3 older brothers try to keep up with technology and I can usually help solve their problems, but I'm stuck on this one.

Now he wants to know how to 1st- copy MS Office onto the Netbook, since it has no cd/dvd drive. He has the original disks & license #. The laptop cd/dvd player is still working.

2nd, how to create restore disks for the new Netbook, I don't own a Netbook, so I need help.

Both the laptop & netbook are connected to his in-house wireless router.

My only thought was to buy an external optical drive and you could load from and/or copy to the external drive to use that to load and restore.

Any advice or easier way w/o buying ext drive to do this that I'm missing, would be helpful.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  2. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should be able to download Office if it's not already on there and use the existing license # to authorize it. There should be an option to do that on the MS site for Netbook owners and for people who lost their original disc.

As for a restore option I'm not as clear. I wonder if it can be done using a USB drive.

3. MisterJJ

MisterJJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He should probably buy an external DVD drive. He'll likely use it in the future too. You can find them for under $35 on Amazon.

With a little work, he should be able to "share" the laptop cd/dvd player and through the wireless network the netbook can access the drive. But that requires some computer skills beyond the basics, but not by much.

Also available is one of the Internet backup providers, like Mozy. If he's got critical information that can't be lost, this is a good idea.

4. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, probably a little late for this, but there are some great deals out there for laptops right now. A few weeks ago I saw a low end Toshiba for $329, I'm not sure how a 73 year old would do with a small netbook, but if it works for your bro, so be it.

I'm a big fan of Toshiba, I bought one of their first laptops in the late 1980's, it had two 3.5" floppy drives! I bought both daughters a Toshiba for school, so far, so good.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He's tired of hauling around the weight of the laptop and didn't want another, so he bought this.
    He says the keyboard on the Netbook is great and has no problems using it.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  6. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The restore will depend on the manufacturer. Many will have a built in restore capability on the machine so you don't need disks (I believe HP does a partition just for restore you can access through bootup). If not, you should be able to create a recovery image with a USB thumb drive.

Second, before he bought it did anyone explain to him the netbook concept?
    Its not really just a smaller laptop. The idea is meant to be that instead of just loading a bunch of stuff onto it (the old PC way), you give up local storage and performance to get a cheaper, lighter machine, and get the capabilities through the internet.

You don't really need office on it (try Office online or Google Apps), because you don't really need to store things locally, and the native app may not even perform well if he installed it. Need for backing things up is also much lower, because again you're not really meant to have much installed on it. You're meant to have an OS and a Browser, and run apps mainly through the browser.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This particular brother has a PhD in economics and is also a lawyer. Once he makes his mind up, all I can do is try and remedy the outcome.:nono:

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.