1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Secret Garden, Worth It?

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by KazooTom, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KazooTom

KazooTom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heading out in June and still have a bunch of points to spend. Wondering if the Secret Garden at Mirage is worth the time?

2. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

Only worth it when the big cats spray on the spectators...don't stand too close;)

3. lithium78

lithium78 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love going to the Secret Garden, especially when it's "kitten season". It's a great place to visit if you love animals. We are going on our trip this summer with free tickets.

4. KazooTom

KazooTom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you both for the response. It sounds like it might be a good way to spend a bit of time and worth the free tickets.

5. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For free its not bad, but depending on your expectations it could be disappointing:

When you arrive the first part is the dolphin habitat. They make you wait at the entrance until they have enough people to give a little speech to before letting you in. The speech is basically along the lines of "This isn't an aquarium, its more a research facility. The dolphins are not here to entertain you. The dolphins are not going to be performing any tricks. Do not go in to the water."

So basically the first section is a big pool with some dolphins swimming around that you can look over the edge and watch or go to an underwater viewing area, then there is a gift shop and a snack bar.

If there is anything going on with the dolphins (IE: one is sick or pregnant, its feeding time, one is being tended to, etc) then that all gets done at the far end of the pool in an area only accessible to the trainers.

When you are done at the dolphin habitat you go to the next area: The Secret Garden.

This area is basically a couple of paths up and down between some caged areas hosting the jungle cats (and a few other critters may be there as well).

Though while it is quite neat to look at them and get up close to them (even with a cage between you) they are cats so that means they are going to be sleeping around 20-something hours a day, especially when its really hot out.

Overall my wife and I found the place OK, but its just important that you have the right expectations going in: if you are expecting "Sea World" to begin with and then move on to an area with all these lions and tigers and other exotic cats pacing about then you are probably going to be disappointed.

6. KazooTom

KazooTom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Auggie for your thorough description, that information is very helpful. We have surplus points thru myVEGAS that we thought of using for the Secret Garden. Thought it might be a way of spending some time without spending too much at the tables and machines.

7. majorminor

majorminor Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went last month and actually liked the dolphins the best... We didn't have to wait for any group - just walked right in. Within a few minutes they started a training session with 4 dolphins and they did perform tricks, splash the crowd, jumping flips, etc... About thirty minutes later they did it again with a different group of dolphins.

8. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With an mlife platinum card you get 10 free tickets per year. I always give mine away.

9. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes - it's worth it.

Bill

10. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got the free tickets by being Platinum (you also get free tickets to the Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay) and personally I thought it was just "ok". There is really not that much to see, so it is not what I would consider a good "time waster" because it is very sparse. There are a couple of deep pools with dolphins swimming and the cat area has several jungle cats and animals and it all doesn't take very long to look at. I can't imagine anyone spending any great length of time there.

I saw the dolphin feeding/tricks etc when I was there as well, and it was cute, but I was happy it was free, let's just put it that way. From what I have heard, years ago it used to be much more extensive with more animals on display.

11. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did it twice, never had to wait by dolphin habitat before getting in, i love it there its a great way to kill an a couple of hours for less than 1 hand of BJ or a couple of slot pulls.
    Added bonus Siegfried was there on my last visit

12. Snickers

Snickers Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We went last summer and actually met Siegfried when he was visiting for the afternoon. Very nice guy and willing to pose for pictures. It is a nice diversion but not a full zoo by any means.

13. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice little visit. Something a bit different. Low cost if not Plat/Noir.

Better than the Shark Tank in my mind.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.