1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Seafood

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Buckeye Bob, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buckeye Bob

Buckeye Bob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking for a good higher end seafood place for dinner with our group in March and have narrowed it down to Aquaknox in the Venetian or RM Seafood at Mandalay Bay. Anyone been to either?

Buckeye Bob

2. vegasbound

vegasbound Moderator

I ate at RM downstairs and it was horrid. Just awful: overcooked, chewy, bland and dry. The Fat Elvis dessert was the highlight. I hear upstairs is where its at, but my experience was so bad I'll never know.

Aquaknox was a fine experience. I've always preferred Sea Blue, but now that it isn't an option Aquaknox is likely the best bet. American Fish is pretty good. I love the stone crab at Joe's, oysters at PJ Clarke's, I have Bartolotta on the list for fish.

3. TRN

TRN High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've also had a bad dining experience at RM - lower level - it was lunch time, not very busy, servers seemingly standing around chatting, and we still couldn't get service. The food was so-so at best. Also will not be returning.

For whatever it's worth, the best seafood I've had in Vegas was at Top of the World. Not a massive seafood menu amongst their other dishes, but what they had was amazing.

4. TylerH50

TylerH50 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You might want to look at Sea Blue or Joe's Stone Crab at the Forum Shoppes. Both are very good.

5. Buckeye Bob

Buckeye Bob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies. While one bad review could be a bad day, two or more is a trend. In my mind, if they don't care enough to make people want to come back at their more causal restaurant, then i don't want to take a chance at their fine dining and pay the higher prices.

I have been to Seablue twice but unfortunately, I saw that it recently closed. I think we are going to give Aquaknox a shot.

Again, thanks for your help.

Buckeye Bob

6. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seafood is one those things that's very regional. Here in the NW we're spoiled, didn't realize how spoiled we were until we were in line at the PH Spice Buffet line and people were talking about how good the seafood was there. Turns out they were from the Midwest. LOL. Granted I'd love to have some of their BBQ joints around here, I wouldn't give up the seafood for it :wink

7. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that's just buffet vs restaurant, as seafood in Vegas can be really amazing:peace:

8. RPMCanes

RPMCanes High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have also been to Aquaknox and it was a great experience. If not that place, Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab at Caesars is another suggestion that's fantastic. I'm looking to try Lakeside Seafood at the Wynn my next trip.

9. Buckeye Bob

Buckeye Bob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks RPM. I love Joes also but we have one here in Chicago and wanted to try something new. So many good choices out there.

10. Darth Vegas

Darth Vegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ate a RM downstairs in August during restraunt week.

I was very happy with my meal and the service (it was early dinner, so few other patrons).

I'm from cattle country, no where near the ocean, so take that for what its worth.

I agree the best seafood will be on either coast. But, I enjoy a good meal prepared by a good chef no matter where the protien comes from.

I guess with a few negitive reviews and a few positive ones, its best said about RM Downstairs:

"Your miliage may vary."

11. dawgfan11

dawgfan11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RM is great we went there last year. Try the Ice Cream guessing game desert it's alot of fun!

12. KnotGillty

KnotGillty Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never eaten downstairs at RM, but the upstairs was one of the top 3 meals I've ever had. Incredible service and incredible food. Too bad the downstairs reviews don't equal what the upstairs has to offer.

And as mentioned above, the ice cream guessing game is a must. You essentially get a tray with like 12 different ice creams (each flavor is like 4 bites). You get a score sheet and you have to try to guess the flavors. They get pretty creative on some of the flavors.

13. trooth

trooth Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am in South Carolina. I know your major chains aren't fresh catch of the day, but it has to be fresher than out in the desert. And when you do get catch of the day shrimp, crabs, etc you know the difference.

14. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The shrimp you get at most restaurants in Vegas is raised right there in the dessert only a few miles away...can't get much fresher then that...... :)

15. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  16. martay

martay Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've eaten at RM Seafood downstairs 4 or 5 times, and have always had good experiences. They have a lobster corn chowder that is one of my favorite things I've ever eaten.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.