1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Screaming Siren of Death... Computer Issue.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by flysrb, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flysrb

flysrb Hey Now!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Now!
    I was all set up yesterday. Boston Butt smoking merrily on the grill. Plenty of Penn's Best N/A in the cooler. Chores done, TV fired up for football.
    Crib notes ready, all programs open- today I'm gonna finally finish the TR from the Holidaze trip. Everything is lovely.
    Then it starts..... The "e" key is getting gimpy. Then it quits. Bummer Kinda n__d that particular k_y.....So I google it. Sticky Key??? plenty of youtube vids. Well, I pop the key, but I don't think it's mechanical. Back to google- non-functioning key. Or in this case k_y. lots of geeky forum discussions. Finally a suggestion just to re-boot. Simple. So I close down the picture file, Filezilla, Front Page, Mozilla, etc. Hit restart. Screen goes black. Then my trusty Compaq Presario CQ60 starts screaming. I mean it was wailing. Sounded like a smoke detector on steroids!!!!! It was in my lap, and I could almost feel it's pain. Sweet Ti and I are looking at each other in disbelief..... She tells me to put it out of it's misery. I hold down the start button till it finally dies...... I feel like Jack the Ripper.........
    I let it rest for a few minutes, and steeled myself for a possible repeat death scene performance. I fired it up. Got that old black screen with the 60's sci-fi font and grey background. Windows 7 failed to re-start properly....what would you like me to do now Dave? Hal asks politely....
    erp- I have know idea. Pick a command....... I hit the enter button. seems apropos.... Yet another strange greyish screen. Looking for problems, we'll get back to you. And the little bar goes left to right, right to left, left to right. For 2 hours.
    I say screw it. Sweet Ti wants her Downtown Abbey fix anyway, so I go upstairs and fire up my 2000 Dell Inspironic PC. It coughs and spurts, and finally catches. Next I fire up my 1998 16" Panasonic tube type TV. It too finally catches, and I tune in the game. No digital, HD,- hell, can't even find the remote!!! I actually touched the damn thing.
    After an hour of updates, my trusty Dell is caught up with the times and I start to configure Filezilla so I can continue my editing. Albeit at a much slower speed. I manage to connect to my server, and Sweet Ti yells up at me in my RBcave....." Your computer is doing something!!!"
    I run downstairs and low and behold, ladies and gentlemen......
    THE REBIRTH HAS BEGUN!!!!
    "IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    my eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee key works too. usually.

HEY NOW! NYE in AC!!!!!!!
  2. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had that happen before. I would back your stuff up asap if you have not done so yet.

3. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could be a memory issue in the computer or a key got stuck on reboot.

4. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You could have just used CTRL-C to copy one of the previously typed Es and then used CTRL-V to paste each time you needed an E

:) :) :)

5. MTMONGO

MTMONGO Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Over heating issue. Blow out the fans on bottom of machine. This happens a lot when using laptops on your lap, fan intake is blocked and CPU over heats causing all kinds of problems.

6. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I destroyed a $2200, custom made, gaming, laptop when I spilled my bong on it. :cry:

7. flysrb

flysrb Hey Now!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Now!!!!

I'm going with this one....
    I had been working on a TR for about 6 hours with it sitting on a pillow on my lap.
    Time to invest in one of those fan equipped lap desk!
    Thanks for all the great ideas y'all!!!
    Watchin the snow fall in VA- hopin the power stays on!

HEY NOW! NYE in AC!!!!!!!
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.