1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Scale of 1-10: how excited are you for Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by bdautch, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdautch

bdautch High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was a kid, I loved one side of my family and hated the other. Since my parents divorced when I was 4, I consistently chose the side I loved for every holiday (my dad's). Then, I'd go back to my mom's house (primary custody), and she'd be enraged because I was (a) glowing from my time with my father's family, and (b) crestfallen to have walked back into her house.

Over time, my eagerness to celebrate Thanksgiving has fluctuated with the circumstances. In tomorrow's instance, I'll be with close friends who have wonderful children, and I'd have to say my excitement level is probably a 9 (one point deduction because the kids can sometimes be a bit much even for me).

How about you?

2. Elf70

Elf70 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live across the country from most of my family. I always miss them a lot during thanksgiving - more than any other holiday. Anyway, we are leaving on a morning flight tomorrow and will get to spend the holiday with them so my excitement level is 10!

3. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    10 for me! I am looking forward to parking myself next to the stuffing to enjoy some family fun, fellowship, food, and football.

-Richard

4. grosx2

grosx2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    10, Bears v. Packers in the CP diamond lounge (or possibly at a bartop), then turkey dinner at Ruth's Chris.

5. cphllps

cphllps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    5, my family is in FL so it is off to my husband's mom's. She nags her brother all day. Looking forward to trying the White Castle stuffing that I am making for one of the turkey breasts.;)

6. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday by a country mile. I love - and get along with - all my family. Mom puts out a helluva spread. And my 9 month old nephew is the cutest little guy ever, all kinds of fun and only grandpa is more popular than uncle thecarve!

The only demerit comes from the inevitable nagging my mom will give me about my "doctor-phobia". The wine, stuffing and pie will make it tolerable though.

Number 50!
  7. scohitch

scohitch Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

I actually get Friday off this year instead of having to work both Thursday and Friday. Wait...I'm Canadian. I still prefer the US holiday to the Canadian one. Better football, two days off, closer to Christmas...hard to beat US Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of my American friends. Be safe, travel safe.

8. Stephiede1975

Stephiede1975 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mine is probably around a 5. Being a military family we don't live near family. Our military friends either go out of town or have family at their house. We get offers sometimes to come over for dinner but that just make me miss my own family more!! I usually just cook something small since it's only three of us. We always put our Christmas stuff up after dinner. I do like how my son gets so excited about that part. Hope everyone has a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

9. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in Las Vegas with the Wifey - so I'm running about a 9 on the scale. Three wonderful things combined: Thanksgiving, my wife and Las Vegas.

Bill

10. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to have to go to my parents house for Thanksgiving. There was always a lot of negative drama caused by my mother who would invite ex-boyfriends or ex-spouses.
    I would yell and scream at her because I knew that was going to cause some major discomfort for my brother or my sister. Yes, it would happen where they would have to meet up with people that should have never been invited.
    The Turkey dinner tasted like baby food because it was so mushy every year. I don't like my mom's cooking.

Last year my Mom said to me, 'I am going for thanksgiving to a relative's house"...... what do you plan to do? IN other words I was not invited. I just said I would spend it with a friend but I just stayed home. So.... this year I planned a Cruise ship this year just in case my Mom has other plans and SHE DID. I got the last laugh this year.

My Mother is a very selfish and self-centered person. My dad died a few years ago so things changed. I am now free to do what ever I want to do for the Holidays so I
    choose to go on cruise ships for the major Holidays. I have already given her Birthday and Christmas present that makes me free to not have to visit her on those days.

For Thanksgiving... I thank God that I am now free from my controlling mother. I leave her in God's hands.

Not everybody has perfect Holidays like I see on t.v. shows where everybody is making cookies and cooking turkeys. I just look at those shows and say to myself that I can't relate to those people experiences that I see on t.v. I have never had a great experience so I really don't care. Times have changed and I have nothing in common with all of my relatives. They all have their own style of celebrating the Holidays. I have neutral feelings which means I don't really care at all.

11. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    About a 3. I have heart surgery scheduled very soon so my mind is occupied in other directions. However I am looking forward to the key college football games this weekend.

Next year I'll be at a 10.

Wishing everyone here at VMB a very happy Thanksgiving holiday!!!

:peace: :beer:

Annual Summer Bliss in the Land of Milk and Honey!!!
  12. Geogran

Geogran OTD Tea Sipper

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keeping you in my thoughts for a fast and speedy recovery - your outlook of "10" for next Thanksgiving will serve you well - a positive attitude is the best medicine.
    Godspeed Mike

As for me I'm a 10 - thankful for family and friends sharing a meal today and watching our grandsons crazy antics; thankful for the memories of Thanksgiving past with my parents and grandparents, warts and all.

Wishing everyone on VMB a great Thanksgiving wherever you are!

13. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every day that I make it through I close my eyes and be thankful that I'm alive, relatively healthy, and that my loved ones are safe and well cared for. I cherish each and every family gathering as a special event. You never know what can happen tomorrow. You can't wait once a year to remember to be thankful.

Thanksgiving used to be fun and well anticipated when I was a child. Now that I'm old and my children all grown up it seems just like any other day.

I'm always thankful. A holiday to reconnect with friends and family is important and needed and for some a reminder to put things in perspective.

I'd say for me it's a 1. Or zero.

Time with family? I'd say 10 is not enough.

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  14. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck, Mike! You are one of the good guys. I had a triple bypass 10 years ago and after recovery, I felt 10 years younger. Take it for what it is, it's a lifetime experience.

Happy Thanksgiving. I'm about a 7. I'm eager for dinner but dread having to watch my Eagles first.

15. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

I thought I'd sound too much like a Care Bear or what not saying 9-10 is the feeling most every single day around here, and then I saw Mike's post about his surgery and decided to screw it and post that every day for us feels like a 9 or a 10. There's a bit more lagniappe with holidays but life is pretty special and we're exceedingly lucky to have it and enjoy it. So call me some kinda addled dreamer, I can take it. :thumbsup:

Mike, best of luck!!

Now I can't wait to dispatch Hector the Heritage Turkey to the grill of love.

16. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Were in Vegas now, so a 10. Our son recently moved to Buffalo.....promotion and raise then another promotion and raise after a few months there.
    And our daughter recently changed jobs, she now does two ten hour weekend shifts at a dementia wing of a retirement home. But makes more then she did working forty hours where she was.
    They offered her triple time and Sunday off if she works today, so Sunday is dinner at our house.

She stopped at our house yesterday to move the turkey from the freezer to frig to thaw. Our grandson was with her and got the thawing part, but then asked if I shot the turkey, my daughter told him no some one else did.
    She said he thought about it a minute shook his head, and said ya Papa's to old to shot a turkey he wouldn't be able too see it. I'm thinking he gets coal for Christmas.

17. Tony Y

Tony Y Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanksgiving is the best holiday of the year! Food, Family Friends, Football and reflecting on how lucky I am to have all of those things. What can be better

18. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not so much this year. I'm having a lot of health issues that have me just plain worn out. We don't have family around here, so it's just the two of us and fur-kids. I don't feel the need to do all that cooking and stuff, but it doesn't "feel right" not to have it all according to my husband.

I should have run away to Vegas. :wink2:

19. archie1959

archie1959 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A 1 for me.
    My family is small in MA
    One brother divorced with kids NH One sister.
    Brother is in CT with his girlfriend visiting her kids.
    Sis and I started go out for Thanksgiving and Christmas last year
    Easier than either one of of us having to cook

20. Stephiede1975

Stephiede1975 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best of luck to you, Mike. I'm from Pensacola and miss it dearly.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.