1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rx Boiler Room mini report

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by lmondun, Aug 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lmondun

lmondun Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Someone suggested that I copy / paste a couple of the restaurant experiences from my recent trip report in this forum too so it would be easier for people only interested in that info to find it. So, here's a recap of a recent meal at Rx for a party of two couples over age 50:

Dinner at Rx Boiler Room was at 7. We have always loved Rick Moonen’s restaurants, including the upstairs R & M that this one replaced. So, maybe my memory of those places unfairly tainted my perception of the new place. Maybe gastropubs really just aren’t my thing. Or maybe it was that I lacked sleep, had a persistent headache and was on a losing streak. In the end, everyone else seemed happy, but, to me, the food was just so-so. Too many fried foods. Too many similar tastes.

The ladies got a kick out of the décor. We were placed in a nice private booth near the back, where we could see the waiters go by with dishes that looked intriguing. Our servers were prompt and personable and efficient.

We split orders of the Chicken Pot Pie Nuggets, Inside Out French Onion Grilled Cheese and Bacon Wrapped Bacon-N-Egg. All were cute, and it is pretty amazing, I suppose, that each tasted at least as good as any full-sized version of their namesake dish that I've ever had. But I’m normally not going to go out of my way to eat a chicken pot pie, grilled cheese sandwich or bacon and eggs. The nuggets were served in one of those little wire baskets that you see at the upscale buffets nowadays, and we remarked that there must be some vendor out there making a decent living keeping the Vegas eateries well-stocked with 3-inch x 5-inch wire baskets.

My future brother-in-law ordered the Shellfish Shepherd’s Pie, of which he offered everyone a taste. It was the best dish of the meal, I think. I had the Moon N Doggies, which are basically corn dogs stuffed with shrimp. Good but still a corn dog at heart. My girlfriend's sister played it safe with a chopped and tossed Cobb salad with 999 island dressing. So I’m thinking that she didn’t see anything else on the main menu that really interested her. And my girlfriend went with the Lamb Osso Bucco Greek Style the braised Oxtail Croquettes Dijonnaise off the small bites menu for her entrée, which she said tasted like beef short ribs rather than lamb. She loves short ribs, though, so she was happy. For dessert, we split a Pie Americana and Rocky Road Pudding. Like the other dishes before, they were good for what they were but just not unique enough to make me want to rush back during our next trip to Las Vegas. All in all, I would probably go downstairs to Moonen’s other restaurant before I’d try the Boiler Room again.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  2. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is this a typo? Why would Oxtail be expected to taste like lamb, or am I missing something here?

Sorry if I've misread this.

First trip of 2017.
  3. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My boiler room experience

I was getting ready to come here and write up my experience at the Rx Boiler Room from earlier this week when I saw your post, so I will join your thread.

We dined here late-ish (around 10pm) on a Monday night. If I am generous, I would rate it as "fair", and mostly because our server was interesting and honest. We also had the chicken pot pie nuggets and found out that they used to be better, but that the peas were exploding in the deep fryer so they had to be re-worked.

Our table ordered a burger, the shrimp and grits and the lobster bolognese. The burger was fine, had good fries with it. The shrimp and grits were fair but the bolognese was probably the most disappointing. It had enough lobster, but very little sauce to accompany the dense noodles. A definite do-not-reorder. After dinner, we ordered a peach "cobbler" to share. It was a modern deconstructed peach cobbler but it wasn't very sweet and kind of tasted like canned peaches with a sprinkle of brown sugar and a crushed up ice cream cone. Very meh....and I like peach cobbler.

The server shared with us that they were having a tough time with the menu and that they are trying to tweak it. She was also very honest and told us there were things on the menu that are "disgusting" and dissuaded us from ordering them. When we were there, a lot of people were drinking cocktails in the front area that was configured like a lounge, but we were the only diners that I recall seeing in the whole place! (They close at 2am so we weren't pushing it at closing time). We didn't have any cocktails, so I cant speak to how those taste. The decor is a great idea, and looks very different than most other places in Vegas. However, the food is just not memorable at all.

I'd put this place on the 'most likely to have a groupon' list if they don't make some big changes pretty soon.

4. lmondun

lmondun Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you're right, I mistakenly copied the name wrong from a menu online. what she actually had was this:

Lamb Osso Bucco Greek Style

(it's not from the small bites menu either, though the portion was not particularly large, as I recall)

5. craps1

craps1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow I'm surprised on the poor reviews since I love Rick's food. May have to forgo this next trip and stick to Rick's seafood joint downstairs. Disappointed as I was looking forward to this place, but if it sucks I'll pass.

6. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We want to try this on our trip. Seems like such a cool idea. And I've heard other people have enjoyed it. We'll have to see for ourselves I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.