1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Ronald Reagan Museum

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Green-bay, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Green-bay

Green-bay Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband would love to go to Ronald Reagan's Museum in Simi Valley, CA. It is about a 4 1/2 hour drive from Vegas and I was wondering if anyone has ever driven there and if we should stay the night somewhere between there and Vegas? Any help or ideas would be wonderful. Thanks! :nworthy:

2. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the Reagan Library, nice place! I live pretty close to there. You definitely have to stay over. 4.5 hours is on a good day with no stops, on a Weekday or a Sunday, it'll take you 7+ hours one way because traffic is so horrible.

If you really wanna do it I'd just get a hotel in Simi, Thousand Oaks/Westlake Village or even down in Woodland Hills. All nice, safe, areas. You really could stay anywhere in Los Angeles, but if you are just going for that I'd stay in one of those areas.

My suggestion would be do it on the weekend. Drive here on a Saturday, back to Vegas on a Sunday. Traffic out here though is really a mixed bag, plan on a few extra hours each trip just incase.

Or if you want to spend the money you can often get a $49 Southwest flight from Vegas to Burbank (just not on Friday or Sunday). It's only about a 20 minute drive from there.

3. Green-bay

Green-bay Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the help and good ideas. I will definitely check out the hotels. We are looking forward to the Museum and want to check out the surrounding area.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Heather's given you some spot-on thoughts there. And, yes, the museum and library are a great experience.

You effectively have two ways to drive down from Vegas; get out your map.

Route one is interstate: 15-210-118.

The other would take you off the interstate system for the middle-latter part of the excursion, where you are cutting off the 15 and going across from Victorville to Palmdale on the 18/138, then down to the valley on the 14.

This can be quicker, it can be slower. Check your mapping software on your phone or nav for traffic and time en route.

Also, since I'm always for messing up other peoples' plans … Simi/Moorpark ain't all that far from Ventura, where you can bunk if you want to get a bit of the CA beach experience (not sure from whence you hail, though I might have an inkling).

5. Packer Backer

Packer Backer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Simi Valley - Thousand Oaks - Westlake Village are the towns surrounding the Reagan library. Check to see if there are any special events upcoming to plan around.

6. Green-bay

Green-bay Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the good advice, might just have to check out around the area too!

7. daveg000

daveg000 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gag me with a spoon!!!!

8. ken2v

You don't like California?????

9. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea, the 14 route is a little rinky-dink, and might be confusing to a non-local though... a lot of driving on surface streets and through small towns. But usually less traffic especially during the week. My family is from Santa Clarita, so a lot of times we take that route.

Reagan Library has lots of events too.
    lectures, and holiday events. But you could easily spend 4 hours at the library if you want to just see all the exhibits.

10. ken2v

Heather, I was thinking take the 14 to the 5/405 and then the 118. Cutting across Santa Clarita could be a bit daunting to a non-local. And Pearblossom can get a bit funky connecting to the 14 at the "right" place, for sure! That's how we go to Vegas because we come down the 101 and across from Ventura and through Fillmore.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.