1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rock & Roll Marathon logistics pro tips?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Lincster, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lincster

Lincster Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been to Las Vegas plenty of times, but this is my first trip during the R&R race (on Sunday 11/15). I was wondering if anyone has been during one of these races and has any logistic tips to share, especially given the mighty Strip is closed to all traffic from 2:30 - 11:00. Here are somethings we are thinking about:

1) We have folks at Ballys and Caesars -- chosen because they are near the finish line. I'm think that with the expo being at the convention center on Saturday, and the start of the race being down by the Luxor on Sunday, that a two day monorail pass might actually be worthwhile. I rarely take the monorail, but this time it might be worth it?

2) We got the latest reservation we could at Mon ami Gabi for after race nourishment. It should work since our crew is doing the half-marathon, not the full, so I think we are good to go there.

3) I'm assuming that traffic is just a cluster on race day, and you just need to be happy with the side of the strip you are currently on Obviously the pedestrian bridges will all be open, but if you are at Harrahs you aren't just cutting over to the Mirage without a hike.

4) Does the presence of 25,000 runners just make the Strip more like a Saturday night than a Sunday night? Or is it more additional than that? Almost everyone runs the half and not the full at this race because the extra 13 miles of the full are basically just up and back on MLK Drive and thus not very scenic at all. So, most people would be finishing between 6:30-8:30 depending on your corral and speed and basically emptying at Flamingo Ave.

Any other tips would be appreciated! I've read a lot of the past runners reports, but they talk mostly about the race, not just being in and around Vegas during the event.

2. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ran it a couple of years ago. The expo then was at The Sands Expo while staying at NYNY. We rode the monorail to/from the expo getting off at Harrah's and walking over. Overall Vegas felt kind of dead other than the few hours leading up to the race.

3. miniwhale

miniwhale Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This will be my 7th year running the race. I am all about logistics!! sending you a PM

4. Mario's Backroom

Mario's Backroom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This will be my second year...I think your right on with your assumptions. Good Luck!

5. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Yep. your assumptions are correct. Fortunately, you aren't going to be caught off guard like the majority of people arriving that day. It is a traffic nightmare for most of Sunday.

6. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was there last year during the Marathon; stayed at Luxor Fri/Sat & LINQ Sun/Mon. I made sure to go from Luxor to LINQ before noon. Stayed on the east side of the strip the rest of the day. Did not have any issues with planning. Not hugely busy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.