1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rock n Roll Marathon

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by CopyDan, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CopyDan

CopyDan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone coming into town for this? My wife is training to run the half marathon. I'm training to watch her run the half marathon. I think we were here around the marathon last time, but left before. How crazy will it get? I just hope she will have energy to walk the strip eventually.

2. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

I did the full marathon two years ago and my watched my son do the full last year.
    The event was a total fiasco in 2011, but some retooling in 2012 brought it up to snuff.
    I would expect the 2013 version to continue on that trend and your wife should have a good experience.
    The half-marathon will have the bulk of runners, likely a 6-1 ratio to the full. It does get a little crazy, but it is a good crazy. With it being held at night, there is a ton more energy than for morning starts.
    The Vegas half is highly sought-out entry, due to the combo of a night run and it being almost entirely on the Strip/DT.
    As far as being able to finish, she'll be fine if she can knock off a 10-miler beforehand.

Word to the wise for everyone else. By 3:00 that afternoon, you better have gotten to where you are going because traffic will be at a standstill until about midnight.

The combination of date change to November and high cost of entry will keep us away.

3. slimmy28

slimmy28 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was registered for last year and it was to be my 3rd half, however due to a family death, the Thursday before, I didn't attend. My running buddies who did still go enjoyed the experience and loved the atmosphere and energy. They are not going this year as the date change does not work. Not to hijack the original post, but does anyone know why they moved from the first weekend in december to middle november? I hate that move on the surface, but I don't know the reason.

4. chef

Just a conjecture - shutting down the Strip is a huge undertaking and perhaps the November date was more conducive than December. Remember, the Rodeo starts to ramp up that first part of December and the Nov weekend may have been slower.
    Now that Vegas has seen how huge of a cash cow the marathon has become, a slow weekend is the ideal spot for it.

5. ButterflyMtn

ButterflyMtn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will be running the half...first half ever! We are arriving Sat and leaving Wed. I have two comped nights at both NYNY and Aria. My husband will be cheering me on. :beer:

6. chef

You'll have a great time, especially it being your first and the fact it's in Vegas.

7. Slotchick

Slotchick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My goal this year was to run the Vegas Rock'n'Roll half marathon :D Unfortunately I am having IT Band issues and am still working on getting back to 10k. I am still hoping that I can run it, if it's not sold out before I hit that good old 10k, as there is no point me signing up if I can't hit a good 10k by September. So here's hoping :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.