1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rio 3/15-3/18

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by jpw711, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpw711

jpw711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Left Springfield MO on United at 6:20 AM via Denver, both planes were early. Got to Vegas around 9, went to baggage claim, and it was empty, could have played football in there empty. Went to the cab stand, it was empty also. Arrived at the RIO at 9:30. Our in-laws were coming in from Arizona, so while we waited for them to show up, we played a little. Down around 200 in about 1 hour, not a good start.

In-laws show up around 11:30, and we go to the Diamond check-in. They have a masquerade suite, comped, and we have the deluxe room next door, comped. (We are platinum). They rooms are not ready, so the clerk takes our cell phone #'s and says she will call when they are ready.

We both had $400 cash travel offers, so we go get our cash and go play. After awhile, I decide to go see if our room is ready, it is, so we go up and move in (read, I was overdressed and wanted to put on shorts). In-laws head on up, turns out their room is now ready, so they put on warm clothes, and we head back down. Play for awhile, the cocktail service was pretty good, and go up to the room around 7 PM. Order a pizza from Tropicanna Pizza and wait for it to be delivered, Good Pizza and cheaper than room service. We have ordered from them before and are usually pleased.

Day 2 - Order room service and have it delivered the suite, it was pretty quick, headed down and played a little. Caught a pretty good buzz waiting, which was a good thing since we then headed to the Flamingo. Took a cab, traffic was really bad and the driver asked us if he could drop us off @ CP's diamond entrance and we could walk over. Fine with us, as we had already sat through the light 4 times.

Flamingo was up and down for me, played on WOF machine, 3 spins, 2 won $100 each, the other nothing. Drink service sucked, a server told us they had just laid off 24. Went to the IP, drink service was a little better, the slots were a lot worse.

Went back to CP so I could play a 5 line $ machine that I always play, 3x4x5x. Didn't win, but did put 299 tier credits on my card for $200 invested. Drink service was good for me.

Went back to RIO, played a little longer, had a coupon for 2 free buffet's so my wife and I took them up on it. The last time we had been there, we thought the food wasn't that great. Same this time. Noticed that there was a huge line, and there were ton's of tables available. Guess that staffing had really been reduced. I guess I should say we are used to heavily spiced food, so everything tasted bland. The buffet rang up for $48, which I thought was way to high.

Went up to the room as we decided we had lost to much

Day 3 - Woke up to another morning of room service, went down, played some, then headed to Harrahs. Took the shuttle. It was ST Pat's day, and the strip was packed. Went to flamingo, where you may as well have been in the desert, because you couldn't get a drink period. Back to IP. Didn't stay long at any of them, all we could do was lose.

Took a cab back to the RIO, played till 10, and went up to the room as we had an 8AM flight the next day.

Day 4 - Up at 5, checked out @ 6:15, everything was comped, and caught a cab to the airport. Told the driver to take the tunnel, as time was tight, and the news had said tropicanna was down to 1 lane due to construction. The driver got lost at the airport (no kidding) and dropped us off in the shuttle line. Security was short, planes were early again, thanks United.

Got home, counted my money and felt like :vomit:

In closing, the Rio was great. The only thing I noticed was that the cage was understaffed, along with the buffet. We usually stay at CP, but would stay at the Rio again, if they wanted to give us another $400

Holiday Gift Shoppe
  2. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Amazed you had $400 TC as a Platinum!!! Most I ever see is $100 and I was at top of Platinum last year. I must be doing something wrong!

Sorry to hear of the bad drink service. It was fine 3/6 to 3/11. Maybe they hadn't laid off yet then?

3. jpw711

jpw711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just got $200 from CP. I think the reason is I'm pretty much a one or two trip a year guy. I go in, drop serious coin, at least what I consider serious, and come back in 6 months.

The real story on the $400 is this: We wanted to go and stay in Feb at CP, the sister in law got an offer from her host at the Rio for the $400 in March, she called her and said, give it to both of us, we will come, or we are going to stay at CP .

I usually get anywhere from $100 to $300.

Coming from Springfield MO, #11 on the most expensive airport list according to Forbes, any little bit helps

Holiday Gift Shoppe
  4. Blondie76

Blondie76 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry the gambling genie wasn't with you this trip. Nice TR. Thanks for posting. :)

5. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice TR...sorry you didn't win, maybe next time.:peace:

6. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But at least $400 of what you spent was not your money!

7. jpw711

jpw711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True, that was about 10% of the total loss!

Holiday Gift Shoppe
  8. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for posting your report.

later, GVJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.