1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rhyme of reason to American Airlines and their point system?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by EastCoastVegasFan!, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've booked a first class ticket from DCA Direct to Las Vegas using points. I had to change the date, and now the "direct" flight is not available on that other date, but it might show at a later time. My question, is there any rhyme or reason to when AA posts their "better" flights?

I've heard the supply and demand theory, but does anyone else have any other insight to this? Maybe someone that works/worked in the airline industry?

Thanks!

July 19th - July 24th
  2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    These systems are very complex. As to booking with points - they have a very limited number of seats on each flight and could be as low as ZERO on some flights. Then of course, somebody else could have booked your desired flight a few hours before you tried. Two major factors working against you. 1) number of seats available and 2) other people booking them.

For more information and millions of posts, check out flyertalk.com

3. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not really. Usually, many airlines (ex. United) release more award space closer to the date of departure. However, American doesn't do this for any of their flights (international/domestic), unless you get an agent to manually request it from Revenue Management. I've had success getting agents to manually request seats for me, but my status (and spend) might be why they're willing to bend the rules for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.