1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Review: The High Roller

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by DaiLun, Nov 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, my cousin Steven and I had scheduled this, since I had CET Diamond tickets to use. We most definitely wanted to go at night. It was a Monday night of thanksgiving week, at about 9PM, and the line was nearly empty.

We got our tickets and since the attendant didn't tell us where to go, we weent outside and started walking down the street. After about 3 minutes, I realized that we were not supposed to be outside, and went back inside to board the High Roller.

On our way in, we saw a couple that was looking at the High Roller and I offered them my extra tickets. "You look like you could use some tickets!" I started out and explained that these were free tickets, and couldn't be sold and had to be used that day, and if they didn't want to use them, they could just pass them on.

Steven and I entered the way up. You can tell that they were expecting a lot of people to ride this time but all of the "line space" that they provided, but that night, both queue areas were empty.

There is a picture area in between queue areas, at the top to the escalator. These pictures can be purchased upon exit. I don't remember the exact price, but remembered it as 3 pictures for less than $20.

We then proceeded to the outside air. it was cold and windy that night. The High Roller is a constantly moving affair, and as the capsules come down, the far side opens so people can exit, as the near side opens so people can enter.

"The passenger cabins (or capsules) are mounted on the wheel's outboard rim and are individually rotated by electric motors to smoothly maintain a horizontal cabin floor throughout each full rotation.The final design accommodating 28 40-person cabins and a total capacity of 1,120 passengers."

Now, 40 people in the capsule, IMHO, is a little full and might make me claustrophobic. There were 5 of us in our cabin. I spent time on the phone talking to a lady friend about how we could be "intimate" in a cabin were we able to get one to ourselves. We decided against it for a number of reasons, including:

1)interior security cameras
    2)small window of opportunity
    3)neither of us are exhibitionists and the picture of us being intimate wouldn't be anyone's fantasy.

So, I took many pictures. With the sky clear at night, and the top of the cabin 550 feet above land at it's highest point, it IS an impressive view. I have some pictures that I will be posting to this review.

Near the top (top is 550 ft.)
    near_the_top_2.jpg

venetian.jpg

near_the_top.jpg

They can't see you from here . . . .
    out_the_side.jpg

harrahs_venetian.jpg

other_cabin.jpg

Linq.jpg

It does take about 30 minutes for the complete circle. There is also a "happy hour" car, which has a bar.

Prices:

Individual tickets are $26.00 daytime and $37.00 after dark. There are discount packages available, such as the family package (2 adults and 2 children) for $101.00 at night.

Would I pay for it? Maybe once. However, since I live so close and travel to Las Vegas so often, the free Tickets from CET are enough.

P.S. As we left, we saw the gentleman that we gave the tickets to in the gift shop. I asked him if he had already used the tickets. He said no, but his wife did. He told us that he had fear of heights.

OPINION:

I am neither claustrophobic nor acrophobic, so I can't really speak to those effects.

Each 225-square-foot cabin has a diameter of 22 feet (6.7 m), includes 300 square feet (28 m2) of glass, and is equipped with eight flat-screen televisions and an iPod dock

So, the cabin is round, but approx. 15ft. x 15ft., (22 feet across the center) and the cabin reaches a height of 550 ft. above land. You are in the closed cabin for a MINIMUM or 30 minutes. There is adequate ventilation.

IMHO, the motion is not noticeable, and the only noticeable effect is the position of the cabin as it makes it's way around the wheel. The cabin stays perfectly vertical but the relative position is constantly changing.

Please take this into consideration if you want to take this ride.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    New Orleans 7* retreat. Food, food, and more food . . . .
    Tentatively Tahoe or LV . . . .
  2. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for posting. Your report is the most thorough synopsis that I've seen for The High Roller......love the detail.
    As for being intimate on The High Roller......there is something to be said about the comfort (and privacy) of a hotel suite.

3. Canadianeh

Canadianeh Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can attest to the High Roller being a very cool thing to do, having done it 4 times, with different friends on different trips to Vegas. And I will say, I'm absolutely terrified of heights - probably as bad as anyone you'll meet. A second story balcony strikes fear in me. We have friends who get balcony suites at Cosmo, and while the suites are beautiful, I could not even go onto the deck...stayed inside our whole 'tour'. Back to the High Roller....with my fear of heights, I have zero issue with flying...can smush my face against a window and look out of a plane, no problem. And I would sort of relate the high roller to the same thing...can't explain it. While I would never get close enough to touch the outer glass on the cabin, I totally enjoy the ride and as said above, you really can't feel any motion at all. The cabins are big enough you can wander around inside and stay a foot or two from the glass. I'd recommend it to anyone. The scariest part of the whole ride for me, is stepping on and off the cabins, as there's a small gap that you can see through...scares the crap out of me looking through to the ground. Once I'm in, no problem at all.

New Years Eve Trip
  4. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done the High Roller three times and have yet to experience a waiting line. Both the day and night views are awesome and well worth the price. The 30 minutes goes by fast.

Bill

5. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, here's a question, do you do the "wet" (happy hour) or "dry" (regular) and which, if either, did you like better?

New Orleans 7* retreat. Food, food, and more food . . . .
    Tentatively Tahoe or LV . . . .
  6. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A good question.

I'd rate the "bar car" as a better experience simply due to the more party-like atmosphere. It's just a more social event. I've also loaded up with double-fisted drinks going in from the High Roller bar. And, one time, I smuggled in bottles of wine.

Bill

7. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. jamie73

jamie73 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I really liked the High Roller. It was a great ride and our pod or whatever you call it wasn't overcrowded (there were 6 people including us). Great views and a nice break from the strip.

9. hotreds

hotreds VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank-you for the report. It is something that we'll need to do one of these visits. When we were in Harrah's we had an "in your face" view of the Roller! It never seemed to get packed, frankly.

012.jpg

014.jpg

Will give them a try!
    Caesar's AC
  10. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rode it in June and had the same experience, not much of a wait in line. I personally was not impressed with it, I guess I did not expect so much reflection on the glass and I went up for the photo opportunity and most of those did not turn out. From those in the cabin with me, the rest basically said it was boring to them as well. I would do it if it was free, I won't pay the $30 plus for a night ride again.

Tentative Arrival
  11. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did the "happy hour" car. it was great, but i was fortunate enough to be one of 4 people on the whole ride. The car before us had about 20 people in it. Lucked out on on timing I guess. If you do get a ride with only a few folks, be prepared to drink up. Don't drive home!!! :drunk:

12. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd like to check it out at night. I'd also do the happy hour, seems like more fun, but I wouldn't try to mega drink, just have a couple.

Super Bowl Weekend for a Bachelor Party!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.