1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Review : Santana @ House of Blues

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by Nevyn, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thought I'd put up a quick review of this show, as I couldn't find a lot of information when trying to decide whether to go.

I ended up settling on a General Admission ticket (standing room only), due to the lower cost. This ticket was slightly over $100. All the seated tickets were at least $40 more, and seats in a good section (which were sold out anyway) cost far more.

This was my first time in House of Blues at Mandalay Bay, so I wasn't sure quite what to expect. What I found is that it is an excellent, though not particularly large, venue. On the lower level, there is the general admission area in front of the stage, some premium tables behind it, and some to the wings. There are 3 bars to the sides and in behind of this area, and general admission gives you free reign to move through this area.

There is also an upper level, but i could not really see what the seating looked like from there. It looked to me like you'd be looking straight down at the stage though, which could be a bit odd.

The ticket says that doors open at 7, but be aware that this is an excuse to sell overpriced booze while you wait. There is no opening act (although the bar music is decent), and Santana does not get on stage until 8-8:15. But if you are General Admission especially, don't be in a rush to get there unless you absolutely must be right up front. To me, the GA area is small enough that everyone gets an amazing view, and the acoustics in the HoB are good enough that I didn't find a bad place to stand.

The show itself was great. There were 2 vocalists working with the band (and often splitting verses between them), and both did an admirable job. They were also good at working the crowd while still being conscious of the fact that they are not the show.

The concert transitions effortlessly between high energy numbers, and mellower instrumentals. The band clearly love what they do, and put on a good show.

Most of Santana's major hits, both older and newer, are featured. The only ones I can think of they didn't play are "Put Your Lights On", and "Why Don't You and I" which really need a different type of vocalist anyway, so it was no great loss. They play for about 2 hours in total, encore included. Santana can still bring it, and his playing was terrific all night. Near the end he starts talking a bit more to the audience, a nice little motivational, philosophical diversion before they close the show,

Overall, I had a great time and I'm happy I went. Ticket prices are certainly on the high side, but if you're a fan of his music, you certainly won't be disappointed.

Attached Files:

• 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      21.9 KB
      Views:
    • 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      21.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for taking the time to post the review and pics. Good detail. Glad you had a good time.

3. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas certified personal trainer/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for posting the detailed review! We're going to try to see him in mid-October. We love the HoB venue.

4. SikDmax

SikDmax Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When did you go? I played the slots right outside HOB last week for about a half hour and listened in - sounded good still after all these years!

5. GREGRIO

GREGRIO Tourist

THANKS! Nevyn, I hoped it would be a good time. I saw his JOINT Show, and
    will be at this one in a couple months.

I've seen several Shows at HOB...it's pretty cool, but small... as you say. I've
    had the Gen'l Ad tic like you. The table areas are always questionable to me.
    There's so many little area and the view can change from area to area AND...
    when most folks are standing all night anyway...why spend the buck for a seat
    on the floor when all you see are folks standing in front of you, lol

I have however sat up in the balcony and it's real good.
    You're right, you look right down on the stage, it's terraced such (real steep)
    there aren't any heads in your way...great views and sound.
    That's where I'll be for SANTANA in November.
    Thanks again man for helpin' me get in the mood!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.