1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Review : Ellis Island Café

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Nevyn, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the items I absolutely had to try on this past trip to Vegas was the famed off menu Steak Special at the Ellis Island cafe. I had been reading about it on here for years, and just had to give it a shot.

The cafe itself has a fairly cool vibe, with wood panelled walls and an old fashioned feel. The walk from the strip took maybe 10-15 minutes.

The Steak Special is not on the menu and has to be specially requested, but its a fairly stunning deal. A starter soup or salad, a 10oz steak with mashed potatoes and green beans, and an Ellis Island home brewed beer or Root beer, and a dinner roll, all for $8.

I order that and choose to start with the Cream of chicken soup. It was very thick and rich, with a nice flavour.

For the steak, I was kind of expecting your typical discount steak. Some narrow strip taking up half the plate and somewhat tough. To my surprise, what a I got was a beautiful cut, 1.5 inches think at least.

It wasn't perfect. I ordered medium rare, and the temperature was just a bit under, and i also found the steak underseasoned. Mortal sins, perhaps, at a $70 a la carte steak house. But at the value I was getting hardly worth quibbling over.

I had the home brewed stout with it, and it was also very good. A little bit lighter tasting and sweeter than a Guiness.

The only truly disappointing item was the roll, which was stale.

But all in all, an astounding value, and I have no doubt that I'll be back.

On my patented completely arbitrary scale: 4 stars

2. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    good review, might have to try it next trip.

did you just ask for the steak special or do you show your card or something?

3. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if the special was meant to be at the brewery or cafe, so i asked the hostess at the cafe and she confirmed it, and then when the waitress came I just asked for the steak special. No need to show a card, I never even got one.

I ordered it right away as the drink is part of the deal. But I gather the menu has other bargains as well.

4. gerry53

gerry53 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    so many good things to eat there.

we always try to make it at least once per trip for the bacon and eggs.

last trip we dropped by really late at night and wife had chicken parm and I had the chicken fried steak. both were great and under ten bucks each.

5. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoyed their prime rib dinner, and with an ACG coupon, you can get it for half price by dining alone (which means it is less than $7 for the meal.) And if you're dining as a duo, the second meal, certain to be less expensive, is free... still one hell of a deal. I had a nice piece of prime rib last time I ordered it, and the prime rib meal is like the "off the menu" steak special, it comes with a soup or salad and a glass of that great beer.

Greatest steak or prime rib you'll ever consume? No, but there's a reason it continues to be a favorite, year after year, with the frugal crowd.

FYI: the ACG coupon does not apply when you order the steak dinner. The coupon states that it applies to menu items, the $7.99 steak dinner is not a menu item.

Ask for the steak dinner when you order, they'll know what you're talking about. Although it's not on the menu, as others will attest, in recent years they've promoted it quite prominently in other ways.

6. heywud34

heywud34 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good review. Not many better values in Vegas. Hell, you would pay $8 bucks for a domestic beer some places on the strip. My steak was big and cooked right and I had some sort of red beer (similar to Killians) and it was tasty as well. The BBQ is also excellent although the sides are below average, the ribs and chicken is great.

I will second the reco on chicken fried steak. It was huge and with ACG, the total meal including a couple beers and tip was about $20

7. Denny

Denny High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While you can't use a coupon for the steak dinner, you can pay for it with points if you have a players card. I believe you get 5000 points for signing up and can start using the points when you reach 10000. Points are easy to accumulate though as they offer various extra point days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.