1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Restaurant where you said "Holy shit that was a great meal!"

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by LV_Bound, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have eaten at a few places where I said "Holy shit this was terrible."
    Unfortunately only a few where I said "Holy shit this was great.". We tend to revisit these places.

Basically I am looking for a place to get a great meal to celebrate a 50th birthday.
    There is a criteria.
    Not formal.
    Not a place where an interpreter is required to read the menu.
    Must be on the strip.
    Drinks aren't important.
    Not looking specifically for a romantic place.
    Its all about the food.

So what have you got for me.

2. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guess it depends on your definiteion of formal, but you cannot go wrong with the food at Robuchon

3. grosx2

grosx2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Strip House at PH really blew me away, one of the best meals I've ever had.

4. hrt4girls

hrt4girls Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am going to go a totally different direction with the meaning of formal and suggest Gordon Ramsey Burger at Planet Hollywood. Definitely a lot more casual that Robuchon, and quite a bit cheaper. But would be a fun place for a celebration. I think 2 people can easily have an awesome meal for around $100 or less. We have eaten at quite a few places on the strip and that includes some of the fancy ones, but this was the meal that we keep talking about and can't wait to go back to try more things on the menu.

I am sure you will get many suggestions and some people will agree or disagree with the posts, but that is my suggestion. I hope you find an awesome place for your birthday celebration!

5. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kinda weird to admit, but everytime I eat at Earl of Sandwich, I cant get over how good, and how cheap it is.

Super Bowl 2017!!!!
    Super Bowl 2017!!!
  6. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Craftsteak is one I remember fondly as an amazing meal. Everything was delectable. I second the Robuchon, but I don't think it meets the criteria you outlined, as you probably want to have everything interpreted to appreciate what you're eating. My third favorite is a tie between Milos and Blue Ribbon Sushi...both are just excellent and unique (at least for me as I don't live in NYC.)

7. gradytripp

gradytripp Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mine is equally weird, and probably isn't at all what you're looking for, but I must admit I almost get a little teary-eyed when they bring me either the $5.99 steak-and-eggs special or the $8.99 steak special at Ellis Island. It's like all is right with the world...

More along the lines of what you're looking for is the experience I had at the Wynn buffet 2 1/2 years ago with my brother. We were there for 2 hours or more and had something like a dozen mimosas (and they gave us a big one to go...). The food was fantastic, we were feeling cool and (again) all was right with the world. But sadly the next time I went, the service had gone a bit downhill and it just wasn't the same.

8. jdvegas

jdvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My meal at Hakkasan last month was the best meal I have had in years. The place has an amazing atmosphere, and the food was incredible!

9. StephGrahamKC

StephGrahamKC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I second Craftsteak. We had an amazing meal and the service was awesome. We are very casual people and never felt out of place. We did a tasting meal and it was awesome. They even bought us a round of drinks on the house. If you are looking for an even more casual atmosphere I really enjoy Border Grill. On the weekend, they have a brunch that is awesome. Its served tapas style and you order whatever you want from the menu and its made fresh just for you. Its almost like doing tasting menu but you get to choose what you want and how much you want. There are also 12 flavors of bottomless mimosas.

10. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On the strip, these would be my choices:
    e by Jose Andres @ Cosmo <-- if you have a total of eight people and could reserve all eight seats, it would be an amazing night
    Milos @ Cosmo
    L'atelier de Joel Robuchon @ MGM
    Gordon Ramsay Steak @ Paris (the ribeye, the truffled mac and cheese, and especially the signature sticky toffee pudding) <-- or have everyone do the Tasting Menu
    Le Cirque @ Bellagio (although it's more dressy)
    DB Brasserie @ Venetian

Off the strip:
    Yonaka
    Raku + Sweets Raku
    Goyamon (AYCE sushi)

11. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in Vegas a couple weeks ago and still hadn't eaten lunch by 3 p.m. A friend of mine sent me a link to an article about the best burgers in all 50 states. For Nevada, it was Gordon Ramsey's BRGR accompanied by a killer photo. Well I wasn't over that way, but was in the Hard Rock (surprise) and went to Culinary Dropout. The article and my hunger had me in the perfect frame of mind for a great burger, so I ordered their Pub Burger and fries. When I'd completed my meal, the manager asked me what I thought and I said something to the effect of "if I was on death-row and ordering my last meal, this may well be exactly what I'd want!" It was that good!!! Why? Well, like I said, it was 3 p.m. and I ate breakfast around 6 a.m., so I was hungry! I also had 2 cocktails before walking in, which helped "prime the pump"...but the burger was a 1/3 lb. with havarti cheese (I love havarti) and some kinda house bbq sauce, couple pieces of bacon and coleslaw on it. It was incredible... my mouth is watering as I write this...

Some may say, really? Over a burger? Not steak, seafood or something "serious"? I love a great burger, so yeah... that was it for me. I do plan to get over to PH to try BRGR too!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  12. Dentastic

Dentastic Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  13. mesa

mesa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chinois Las Vegas at the Forum Shops was great but now closed, Delmonicos also had a great lunch at China Poblano

14. beuhner

beuhner Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about Mon Ami Gabi. Always good food and getting a patio seat is great atmosphere.

15. ref59405

ref59405 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Another vote for Strip House. Amazing.

16. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The places in Las Vegas where I've really enjoyed meals in the recent past include:

Jerry's Nugget. It's actually on Las Vegas Boulevard. Relatively unknown and tres underrated. Very tasty prime rib and enormous portions.

Chicago Joe. A few blocks off the Strip near downtown. We recently re-discovered this after dining there years ago.

Bootlegger. Again, technically on Las Vegas Boulevard. Great food and not stuffy.

17. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not always, but we have had a few "that was great" meals at Olives on the patio. Always have great - maybe not AWESOME at Mon Ami. We had a great meal at Ramseys steak house at Paris. We sat down and left within minutes at Ramsey Burgers at PH (too noisy and hot).

Peanut Butter Burger at 1841? at MGM was GREAT!

18. Happy

Happy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tao at the Venetian.
    The lobster ravioli with ginger sauce
    And the Chilean sea bass were awesome.

19. mwig

mwig High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love it!! I can just imagine the groups reactions upon arrival. I'm a fan of this place but for an anniversary dinner on the strip? Probably not.

20. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was using the criteria here from the OP:

Not formal.
    Not a place where an interpreter is required to read the menu.
    Must be on the strip. (well, sortakinda)
    Drinks aren't important.
    Not looking specifically for a romantic place.
    Its all about the food.

In my not so humble opinion, Jerry's is a good fit!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.