1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Resort Fees and extra charges in hotels?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by TrustNoOne, Mar 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrustNoOne

TrustNoOne Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I understand that virtually all the hotels charge resort fees. We are using MyVegas comps to get discounted rooms through MGM hotels (not sure which one yet). However, I find it sad that in addition to the resort fees, some of the hotels charge extra for the workout room, an extra $20 for a tube to go through the lazy river, and if you even set anything in their refrigerator (which is weighted) you can be charged $50. (Although you can rent a separate one for $35 + a night). Shouldn't some of these things be included in the resort fee? I understand a lot of people have no problem throwing money away when going to Vegas, but that is not me. We are stopping there on our way home from our in-laws because we have some comps and it is my husbands birthday. It will probably be the only time I am ever in Vegas. Should I expect to be nickeled and dimed to death for everything we do? I don't expect a free vacation, but I can't afford a few hundred dollars in unexpected costs, either. We plan to see a show, do a little gambling (probably downtown), and hang by the pool for a day or so before returning home. Is this even possible?

2. smerrian

smerrian Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Las Vegas resort fees are actually just a way to raise the room fee, they have little to do with amenities. By calling the raise in room charges a separate fee they do not have to share a percentage of it with 3rd party booking agents, like Travelocity or Hotels.com . The hotel will also come up sooner on your web search when you put it in a cost analysis from 'lower to higher'. It's an all around win-win for them. So don't expect anything from the resort fees that you wouldn't normally get at any hotel outside of Vegas. For instance when I get a hotel room in any other city the price already includes use of the gym, free newspaper at the front desk, free wifi. In Las Vegas they'll say the resort fee is to cover this but it's actually just a section of the new fee that they don't have to show when marketing their fees. I wouldn't be surprised if Congress doesn't act on this practice.
    As for nickel and diming you to death. Yes, you can expect that. It is Vegas and they're job is to separate you from your money. It used to be done solely with gambling but now they try every which way to get the job done. No different than Disney, Aruba or any other resort destination. The only way to avoid this is through knowledge and that's why sites like this one are so popular. You can get a lot of information to have a good, reasonably priced vacation on this site but you have to be specific in what you're asking.
    Welcome to the board!

3. mganut

mganut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the new Vegas!

4. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not like the charges you're worrying about are a secret. Don't want to pay for a tube, don't buy or rent one. Don't want to pay to access the workout room, don't. Thousands of folks manage to enjoy Vegas without buying/renting an inner tube, going to the gym, or using the mini bar as their private refrigerator. It's like going to a ball game, you don't have to buy the $14 bottles of beer or $8 hot dogs.

5. Miles1

Miles1 Tourist

I'd say resort fees are more like going to ball game with the ticket you paid $50 for and finding out there's a mandatory $25 stadium usage fee you must pay at the gate to get in.

6. TrustNoOne

TrustNoOne Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks all for the info. As someone stated above, I do not need to rent a tube or use the fitness facility. I am more concerned that charges will occur without me knowing. A few people stated that they used their room keys to go to the fitness room daily, without realizing there was a fee, then being hit with $100 in charges when they checked out 10 days later. (I don't know if they didn't read a sign, or if there wasn't one posted) I don't need to store anything in the fridge, but I don't want to be charged a $50 "restocking fee" just for looking in it. (I know stuff in a mini fridge is expensive, but I didn't know you could be charged just looking at what is in there!) As long as I know additional charges before hand, I can avoid them. Thanks for any info.

7. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually they will explain the fees associated with any amenities upon check in.

However I'd recommend checking your folio on the tv each day and also when checking out. I don't use the tv to check out, I always go downstairs just to make sure all charges are correct.

I've had issues with the mini bar charges in the past and picked up on them when reviewing the tv folio. I'd go downstairs and tell them and it would get fixed right away.

8. Peachiekeehn

Peachiekeehn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You won;t be charged just for looking in the mini fridge, you MAY be charged if you move the stuff around in there as they are on sensors. I've never heard of a gym where you use your card to get in without having someone there to swipe it and I'm not sure but I believe you have to sign for anything being charged to the room so that statement seems weird to me.

9. Its Only Money

Its Only Money Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you use ticketmaster or any other service to get your tickets for the ball game? Check the service charges on those.

I need one more trip to up my frequent flier level
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.