1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rental prices are insane for next month!!!!

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by NurseLisa, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NurseLisa

NurseLisa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last week I logged on to Costco.com to book our rental car after we made our flight reservation and the cheapest I could find a midsize car was $169 for 2/25 8PM-3/1 8AM.
    I figured it was bad week and then have been checking every day this week and it's still the same.

The weird thing is if I book 2/25 8PM -2/26 11AM it's 39.00 for that day with Avis
    then I can book 2/26-3/1 for 79.00 with Budget.
    so total $120 - that is reasonable for 4 midnights in my opinion (not a great deal, but I'd book that).

So now I need to decide if it's worth saving $50 to have to drive back to the airport and switch out my car my first day there.
    As I type this i know the answer. That's a bet on the craps table. But I'd so much rather put that $50 on the craps table than in those stupid rental car companies hand.
    Also the best deal isn't with my FAV company Alamo, it's Budget, with their non-existant kiosks and the long lines that lead you to the guy who trys to sell you the extra insurance. BLAGHGH.

2. firstkill

firstkill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you could always take a chance on those smaller car rental places. firefly or something, (they still have a kiosk at the car rental center)

3. NurseLisa

NurseLisa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or I could take a cab. How many cab rides could I take for $170?

4. Foos

Foos Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check prices 3 or 4 times a day.
    I started with a $135 4 day rental (compact) from payless Sun-Thur 2/8-2/12 and the prices have been the same for a week now......But today I have re booked 5 times already from 135 to 129 to 118 to 112 to 101 to 89 tonight at about 11:30
    I booked at the payless site using Southwest code SWA014 and signed in to the perks club.(about 5% discount each)
    I also check Costco and a few others but so far the payless site has been the best.

Western Airlines "The Only Way To Fly"
  5. azbob

azbob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Look up the closest Enterprise to your hotel and make a reso with them off-airport. Take a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and then have Enterprise pick you up (you can still drop the car at the airport).

Benefits of this are 1) you don't pay the airport fees and taxes for pick up there 2) you might be able to cut a day off the rental if you don't need the car the first day in Vegas (plan your schedule accordingly) and 3) Enterprise rates usually prove to be competitive and there are plenty of discounts available.

Two other bits of info you can choose to take or leave....1=Payless is a very big hassle and will take a lot of time 2=You probably come to Vegas only a few times each year...you will hate the process of having to make that car trade in terms of inconvenience and time

6. Foos

Foos Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have used payless the last 2 trips, never had a problem with them yet.
    I use Amex Primary insurance $19.95 per rental (up to 30 days) kills the upsell right away and always take pictures of the car.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do it shows $24.95 but my plan is $19.95 in MN

In my experience Enterprise is never competitive with the rates I end up going with.

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You could get a midsize at Budget through Priceline for $29.45 a day or $176 with taxes and fees, no bidding required. Or, you could bid using name your own price and try and lower your rate. I've used Priceline many times for car rentals and never had a problem, but I've never rented at McCarran. I bid $18 for a mid size in St. Louis a few months ago and ended up with a Chevy Cruze at Budget. Conventional rates were around $40 a day. Good Luck.

8. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, it's Las Vegas and March. I am renting for one day, March 12th and had to "settle" for $50 (taxes and fees) from Payless. Sixt was over $100 for an ECAR. This was 4 weeks ago. I've been checking regularly and the prices have only been going up.

9. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    a shit ton, who drives in Vegas?
    drinking?, you're doing it wrong

10. smerrian

smerrian Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Prices are high during March Madness. Next time schedule your trip at an off time and you'll get better rates. (I'm renting a car from Payless from 2/6-2/9 for $10/day...$54 total.) Or, schedule at a busy time and expect to pay. If you're already booked into those dates just keep checking the rental sites. Rates fall the most 1-2 weeks prior to your arrival.

11. springlakecake

springlakecake Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wow, thanks for mentioning Costco! I have a membership but I have only been there once, so I didn't really know there were travel perks. (I was on as an add on). I just booked an suv for about $20 per day with Budget. It was a better deal than priceline for sure.

12. Foos

Foos Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am down to $85 Total Price for 4 days now with payless using the perks club discount (free to join) and the 10% plus 1200 free southwest miles code SWP060

13. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a Dollar customer. For my February 22-27 trip, I started with a reservation for a midsize back in December for 168.44. I've rebooked 5 times and am now at $96.20.

Consistently checking is the key. I do the "checking dance' for every trip and end up cutting my car rental cost in half (or close to half) by the time I depart.

14. jfw831

jfw831 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    just this past month I canceled with thrifty 4 times, till I was at $12 a day. that price showed up 4 or 5 days before I was to be in Vegas. Well, the so called storm screwed that up, watching again. Yesterday [Monday] thrifty was at $130 total, for 3 days, today at about $90.00 w fees. Hopefully tomorrow, Wednesday or Thursday, Bam! If not use aarp discount Budget. Those fee's are a killer. Just have to watch and watch and watch. They're all about the same. I use thrifty card, no discounts with it, but in and out,,,,,for me anyway.

15. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well put. But, sometimes LOGIC is not part of the Vegas scene. We used to rent, but gave it up.

16. NurseLisa

NurseLisa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I got $140 total with Budget for a compact. With Costco you can cancel and rebook, so i'll be checking daily between now and then.
    Smerrian, March Madness begins on March 17th. I am going on Feb 25th. I don't think we can blame march madness for the car rental prices at the end of Feb.

17. Foos

Foos Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am down to $68.06 for 4 days including taxes. ($10 a day for a compact)
    keep checking

18. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ALSO, Check on line one you land.

We were able to re-book the reservation even cheaper waiting for our bags!

19. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, prices are starting to come down. I checked again with Sixt and their price was down to $50 (before taxes down from $87.00), so I re-booked.

I will continue to check. If prices are equal, I will continue to rent from Sixt.

20. mikeinctown

mikeinctown Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just cancelled my Costco reservation today and rebook ed because the price dropped $20 for me. From $150 to $130.

I joined the perks at payless and the quotes rates didn't change one bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.