1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rental companies at McCarran Rent-A-Car Center?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by SW, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SW

SW Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's been many years since we last rented a car. Sandwiched between our next stay in Vegas, we will be heading to Phoenix for 4 days. Prior to the Phoenix trip, we will be spending 2 days in Vegas. Afterwards we will be in Vegas for another 5 days. Looking to rent a car for at least 6 days and perhaps 11 days.

Which car rental company out of the McCarran Rent-A-Car Center offers the best combination of price and service in your opinion?

Thank you for any and all replies.

2. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This year we used Budget and Alamo, just went with the cheapest of the big names. Had no problems with either.

Alamo was easier in regards to 'skipping the counter' and going straight to the cars. As we got close to the cars a gentleman asked what size car we reserved then pointed us to a row of about 10 cars and we got to pick the one we wanted. Could not have been easier or quicker.

With Budget they seem to hold back on the 'skip the counter' deal unless you rent 3 times a year. I was able to easily skip the upstairs counter and go to the counter downstairs (sign up online). Short wait but no complaints.

Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
  3. eisen7979

eisen7979 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just used Thrifty for a mid-size from 12/9-12/13 and it was a great experience. Total of $89.xx after fee's and taxes. Signed up for their Blue Chip Membership and was able to skip the counter and head right downstairs into the ramp. There was a small kiosk that had my name on the screen already and was directly to a row of about 10 cars to pick from. It had been a few years since we rented a car and I was pleasantly surprised. Would definitely rent from them again.

4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lately we've used Enterprise most of the time. Very low hassle, only moderate waits.

Advantage, but not recently. No push-back when using credit card insurance.

Avis. Not cheap, but low hassle, shorter lines. Budget (little sister of Avis) only once but no hassle.

Dollar - total @$$#0!3 behind the counter! Major pushback on not taking insurance. Longer lines.

Thrifty. More of the same, actually, they don't like it when you decline insurance!

I'm curious about Firefly. Never used them, but they keep showing up with good rates.

5. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most important thing is to sign up for their club so you can bypass the counter. I rented from Dollar last month in McCarran. Just walked to the garage and picked out a car and drove away. Easy Peasy

6. Scot

Scot Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't hesitatae to use Advantage, Alamo, or Budget. I've had no problems whatsoever with all 3 in Las Vegas.

I've read too many horror story reviews on some of the less expensive companies. I haven't been brave enough to try them.

7. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently changed to Sixt as my preferred rental car provider. They are off site, but just across the street. Take the bus to the car rental center, and walk to taxi stand 4. The shuttle will pick you up. Usually takes less than 5-10 extra minutes. Rates are VERY competitive. I rented a compact car for <$21 a day (total cost) recently. However, if you are the "one stop" kind of people, all of the major (plus a couple of minor) rental agencies are there.

New Orleans 7* retreat. Food, food, and more food . . . .
    Tentatively Tahoe or LV . . . .
  8. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My preference is Alamo. In and out in a flash. And depending on how you book, you can check in online and go straight to the car.I used Hertz for the first time and it was okay. I didn't care for the credit card hold being so high - $200 + the rental cost. Considering that their rates are already usually high, I won't be using them a lot.

9. snapcat

snapcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree 100%! Alamo is competitive with everyone else and hassle-free. You can go directly to the kiosk - no waiting - then head on out to pick up your car. And no hold on the card. Works the same way with debit card, too.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.