1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rental Car Prices

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ValerieJo, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValerieJo

ValerieJo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone seen any decent deals on rental cars for October? I keep checking and the best I can find right now is about $215 total for economy. Last year for the same week I paid $106.00 total. Trying to figure out why $100 increase in a year???

Anyone have any suggestions of where to look?

Thanks.

First time at 4 Queens
  2. zlanga

zlanga Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be patient. I have a Sept 25 trip thru Oct 1 that was pricing at 250 out the door originally. This week alone I've rebooked 3 times already, now down to 213 with Dollar. It hadn't gone down at all up until this point, so you are probably still a little early. It will go down... Patience, grasshopper! :thumbsup:

USBC Open
  3. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    zlanga is correct. You have to book and keep checking.

I book exclusively with Dollar and rates always go down closer to my departure date. For my most current trip, I booked back in March starting out with $123.02 for five days. Here I am 11 days before departure and my cost is now $59.96.

It pays to keep checking. Rental car rates, much like airfares, tend to fluctuate.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to be a Dollar only renter and then I discovered http://www.autoslash.com/

They automatically notify you if there is a price drop and modify your reservation accordingly. Now I have just joined almost all the other car companies clubs to hopefully speed up the rental process.

We had a car booked in FL in Feb and the price dropped 3 times and we got the lower rate w/o me having to do anything. Each price drop they just sent me an email with the new price. No upfront fees.

Just went to the site and saw this:

To our loyal customers:

We regret to inform you that Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group, Inc. – the corporate parent of Dollar and Thrifty, and Hertz Corporation which also owns Advantage – took action to prevent our customers from booking rentals from these brands through AutoSlash.

This action came on the heels of this February 18, 2012 New York Times article, which encouraged the renting public to "make a statement" by "booking through AutoSlash and patronizing Hertz, Thrifty and the other companies that play along." We're disappointed that these companies have now chosen to reverse course and adopt this anti-consumer position, after having participated in this site since its launch in mid-2010. Apparently, with more customers booking reservations through our service, they felt they could no longer support our consumer-friendly model of automatically finding the best discount codes and re-booking when rates drop.

AutoSlash will not waver in our objective to help people get a great deal on their rentals. We have exciting product plans on the horizon to make our site even more useful to you, and we look forward to sharing details with you when the time comes. If you'd like to stay up-to-date on new developments, please enter your email address below.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  5. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to be needing a car for my Orlando trip this fall. Where does everyone get the promo codes. I search for them, but they all seem to be worthless. Is it worth spending time to try to find one of these promo codes. I never rent a car in Vegas, so I'm a bit clueless here.

6. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, patience grasshopper. We use either Alamo or Dollar and in general we hit the best sales 4-8 weeks out. Make sure you are signed up for whatever club they have and get their emails. Dollar sales tend to start on Sundays, Alamo on Thursdays.

7. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are really too early now, to expect a low price for October. You won't see the BEST prices until you are inside of 60 to 45 days out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.