1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rental Car Prices

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by markr520, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markr520

markr520 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A couple years ago, I got 4 days worth of a reservation for 90 dollars. Now, that same 4 day rental is now 160 (Unless I want to use Fox... no thanks!). What gives? Is it always this crazy these days?

2. OKC Gal

OKC Gal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm trying to rent on March 7 - have NEVER seen the prices so high for four days. My trip was last minute - usually I would have booked earlier and I know it would have been cheaper. Ugh.

3. Nick61

Nick61 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're right, Fox is a real pain--they are incredibly disorganized. Don't even think about returning their car with short allotted time on getaway day. You'll wait to do the final check out, and you'll often wait for the shuttle buss. Also remember, they shuttle you back to the original car rental hub, where you must catch yet another shuttle to the airport terminal. I've seen 20 people waiting around headed to the airport. And they have one person (usually confused-lol) attempting to process everyone's final receipt.

But I continue to use them and deal with their B.S., because of the vast difference in price. I guess I'm a miser--either that or I really need the savings.

4. ruralhipster

ruralhipster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Prices are definitely increasing across the board (hotel, flight, car rental, food) as an average over the last 12 - 18 months or so. I think everyone is buying into the economy being back on track, it seems visitor and convention numbers are up slightly. I believe this is simple economics, until the prices increase enough that visitation drops, we will be seeing what I call "price creep".

5. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I guess I'm glad that I booked a couple weeks ago for the 11th-16th.

It certainly doesn't look like there will be any drops in price coming up. This is the first time in about 30 rentals in which that hasn't been the case. I've never rented anything smaller than a full size for a week out there, and rarely paid over a hundred dollars for the whole package. This time it's a small fry, for about $180, and I had to break it up into two rentals!

6. 16gauge

16gauge Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I pretty much exclusively use Alamo when in Vegas. With them, I cancel and rebook 10-12 times as I find lower rates (sometimes multiple times a day). I have also noticed that the rental price has about doubled over the last few years. Coupon codes are less valuable and also fewer and further between. In the past, the coupon code would take XX% off the total price, now it is applied to the "base" rate which is usually less than half the total price (with all the "fees" and taxes added).

Keep checking a couple times a day up to the day you leave. Hopefully you can get lucky and hit a momentary lower price.

7. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm waiting for rental companies to start adding a "resort fee" that will include AC and power steering.

8. motownbob

motownbob High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now that's FUNNY !!! Bob

9. markr520

markr520 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI, I went through Costco and got three days of an economy (eh....) for 99 dollars. Not terrible, but almost 20 dollars off what I originally saw.

10. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use Costco a lot for car rentals. In other cities it's almost always the cheapest. In Vegas I've found it's usually the cheapest but not always. And while many car rental companies have an extra charge for an additional driver Costco rates include an additional driver at no extra cost.

11. lulucob

lulucob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can I get the Costco codes. I lost them.

12. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

coupon code: ad2338fdf
    discount code: 675899

Do you have a Costco card? If so, you can just go to their website and the codes will be applies automatically. If you don't, although it's never happened to us, you may be required to show your Costco card when you pick up the car. Those codes are for Alamo. Don't know the others offhand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.