1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Redwood restaurant at Cal server help needed

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Joe, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually make reservations for Redwood through my host and usually specify any server but Brian. The guy can be ok sometimes, but usually he is a bust and negatively influences our dining experience.

My wife has decided she is uncomfortable with me stating it in that manor and I need the names of the other servers. I think I know Hilario (sp?) and I know we have had good experiences with the Asian or Hawaiian woman also, but I don't recall her name. Both of them have worked there a long time.

So, rather than saying no Brian, I need names of other servers to ask for. Personally it doesn't bother me at all to say "no Brian", but it does my wife, so I'm going this route.

2. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's an idea - call the restaurant and ask who's serving tonight.

Get some names that aren't Brian.

Then, post those names here so I can ask for them by name too. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to print some

NOT BRIAN

shirts for us to wear.

3. JODuces

JODuces Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Her name is Janelle, she is excellent..

4. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If u have no help prior to Thursday I will sacrifice and get some names and then text you....ooops u don't text.....call you....leave a sticky on the check in desk; my/your forehead; mirror of the rental? I agree just call ahead and ask...then poll if ok with your party...maybe

5. melbedewy

melbedewy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is really SO bad about this Brian?
    Seems bizzare to me. I mean as long as you get the steak, soup, vegetable and dessert what are the exact complaints?

6. melbedewy

melbedewy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I are planning on hitting the Redwood next week so this is not just some rhetorical question.

7. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That Hilario guy is good. Somehow everytime we eat there we get him as our waiter. I wish I had that kind of luck when I gamble!

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    9 times out of 10, it is just his snotty, demeaning, non-friendly attitude. Others love him. When we first starting going to Redwood, about 15 years ago, a MSS CW recommended that we ask for him as a server. We did the first few times and just learned our lesson. I mentioned to her we were going to Redwood on our last trip and she couldn't believe that Brian was a bad server. She said they still ask for him every time. Different stokes etc...

If you eat at RW once a year, you might find nothing wrong. We have probably dined at Redwood 100+ times and I would sooner have a upbeat, friendly server who acts like they enjoy their job, whether they do or not, pretend at least.:poke: Your mileage may vary. For us it is a personal preference.

We regularly dine at 777, Pasta Pirate, Second St Grill and RW each trip because they are full comps. It's not we are very finicky, we have no server preference at any other place, except RW.

9. PPtraderal

PPtraderal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Janelle

She was our server again this trip. She is a doll baby. Dined at the Redwood on 09/19/2014. Excellent as always.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  10. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had the same observations as Joe. Didn't check to see that things were all right, was abrupt, and the last time, pretty much threw the mints down on the table as he walked away - they actually scattered across half the table.

I remember another time we had a booth and he kept storing the pepper grinder right behind my head on top of the back of the banquette. I found this made me feel uncomfortable - invasion of personal space. Not to mention the fact that he was reaching behind me every three minutes.

Then when our meal came, do you think he offered me any hand-ground pepper? No sir!

11. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    JODuces, excellent first post! Welcome

melbedewy, I don't find it bizarre whatsoever. If you catch negative vibes, just don't like a particular server and can specify who you choose to share your dining experience then why not?

12. melbedewy

melbedewy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All right, thanks for the specificity. We'll be there next week and take our chances. If we end with Brian it will be a cute inside joke and we will post the results on VMB for good or bad.:eek:

13. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If as advertised Brian is a tart, I would leave a $ tip......and let management know on the way out what you observed as posted above. This is unacceptable behavior for the waiter in such a place.....and someone should be made aware. If it was just Joe....ok; bad karma between two people. but others have posted they received the same indifference.... you would think knowledgeable staff would be aware of such poor attention....if observant.....it cannot only rest with the server if he is allowed to behave in such a manner....but even if he is allowed to maintain such behavior he should choose to personally rise above it in a service industry reliant on tips as it is.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.