1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Red Eye Flights Back East ?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by mike mc, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike mc

mike mc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Want to head out in mid Dec, some good flight costs going out but coming back kinda high, I see a lot of Red Eyes with a decent price but have never taken one are they worth the cost savings? I am one who cant sleep on a plane and I'm sure I would be a little buzzed :drunk: by a 11:30PM flight if I was spending the day in Sin City. I have a comped room on the fly home day so I could just keep the room even though I am leaving later that eve and not sure if the Hotel would be pissed at that any thoughts ?

Just Click The Book It Button It's Easy
  2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Used to do it all the time. Arrived back in Milwaukee at 6-7 AM. Went home, slept for 4-5 hours and went to work. OK to feel like crap at work.:wink2:

We're at a point in life I wound NEVER do it again. We now only take flights that leave at a reasonable time. Nothing before 8-9 AM, but preferably 11 AM.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  3. Max2589

Max2589 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take the Red eye from LAS to JFK sunday night, pretty much every trip. After a long day and long weekend I usually pass right out, so does most of the plane. If I am on the earlier Red eye and get in at like 530am I go home and crash for a few hours before work monday morning. If I land at 730-8am I go right in after a quick shower. If you take a daytime flight you also kill the day with the time change. Who wants to kill a whole day when you can spend it in Vegas

4. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    definitely not worth it at any cost. they are always cheap because nobody wants them. especially in coach. it basically kills your entire next day because you have to sleep when you get home.

5. Max2589

Max2589 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shifter, I see we have a difference of opinion here. The red eye is a nice tool for me. Without it, my Vegas weekends would never work. I get in my window seat on JetBlue, watch some TV, pass out and wake up back home for work.

I didnt know the Red Eyes were any cheaper, I fly standby anyway. The one or two times I ever booked an earlier flight out of vegas I missed them.
    So now I just book as late as possible.

6. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to do this when I was in college, but can't really handle it anymore. It used to be that the only cheap flights would leave at either midnight or 6am, and I'd choose midnight (if I'm going to be drunk on a flight, I'd rather it not be at 6am when I'm still drunk from the night before). Now, though, I find that at least on AA back to New York, the 8am and 12pm-ish flights are among the cheapest, and either way it's worth paying a little extra to not be miserable.

7. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We didn't have much choice for our upcoming trip. Taking a redeye for the first time....and connecting on top of it :eek:....10:53 pm departure to Dulles, 1.5 hour layover then an hour and 20 minutes up to Manchester NH....THEN over an hour drive home. Trying to come home Thursday Dec 20th and that seems to be the beginning of Xmas travel. South West was going to cost us $700 to get home...United redeye $297. We figure we will pass out all the way to DC. Grabbed a comp room at Bally's that we won't even sleep in so we have some place to crash until we leave for the airport. My TR should have tons of complaining about it, DH isn't worried about it....but I am NOT looking forward to it.

8. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew one red eye from LAS to CLE on United and will never do it again. I was in coach this was back 7 years ago...people were sleeping, snoring, some people kept turning on and off there reading lights, kids crying when your trying to sleep...not worth it to me. When you get home your exhausted then you have to drive home from the airport. I pay the extra money and fly when I want to fly now.

9. magic_man12

magic_man12 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've taken the redeye a bunch of times, I don't mind taking it at all.
    I can sleep at a rock concert if I wanted to, so falling asleep on the plane is not an issue at all.
    Usually land around 640am in Toronto, and head straight to work assuming its a weekday! ;)
    I'm 26, we'll see what happens in the years to come though!

10. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have a hotel room for the day, that's the only way I'd ever consider a red eye. The hotel won't care if you check out at 10:00pm or whatever, just check out on the TV.

Otherwise, you'll have been up around 24 hours when you land, and heading into rush hour traffic if it's during the week. Bleccch.

Southwest has tons of cheap LAS -> BOS fares in Dec., no non-stops though.

11. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just took the red eye back to Chicago on Sun morning. Flight left at 12:50. Yikes. I slept on the flight all the way home, slept in the car on the drive home and then crashed for several hours before having to get up and get things done. It killed me. Hopefully I won't have to do that again.

But here's the kicker. I was going to post the whole story, but bottom line is there is no host on duty when you are leaving for airport. So having charges taken off is a cluster! We got the major runaround. No host, Diamond Lounge is closed, etc. We finally had a nice check out clerk take off our dinner charge, but still. Usually they can't do that, but after explaining what happened, he was nice enough to do it, and told us he would explain it to the host later.

So, that is just something I hadn't thought about before booking a red eye.

12. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My next trip next month I get into Minneapolis at 11:08 PM. Although not really a red eye, I have a 2+ hour drive from the MSP Intl Airport to my house, so it kind of is. I have to work the next day, thankfully my boss let me have half that day off. He almost didn't- we already have a ton of people that had requested it off since it is the day before Thanksgiving. But I have to be into work at 9:30 and work til 2. I am already not looking forward to it

Super Bowl 2017!!!!
    Super Bowl 2017!!!
  13. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Coming home on the red-eye used to be the norm for me. I would land about 5:30 am and I was usually able to get about an hour of sleep during the flight.

It's all about personal preference and for me I'm done with them unless no other option exists.Even as much as I was used to them,my whole day was pretty much shot when I arrived home.

14. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If there's a substantial cost benefit and if I'll have a room for a few hours rest until it's time to leave for the airport, I don't have that big a problem, though it's never by first choice. On those occasions when I had to vacate the room by noon (or maybe an hour or two later), I felt like total crap. Being a "morning person" doesn't help.

Ms. Gecko almost had us booked on a redeye coming back in December for a decent savings; but even though we'd still have a room, I insisted we wait awhile longer. A couple days later, we were able to get an afternoon flight for the same price. It's always tough playing the pounce or wait game.

15. VegasSteven

VegasSteven Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Red Eye Flights Back East

I used to take the red eye back from LAS to BWI all the time. I avoid it now (well, I live in CO now so that's part of the reason). The way I started looking at it, if I'm going to be in the air after midnight anyway, I'd rather just stay in Vegas one more day. The entire day I land back home is going to be shot so why waste it? Take one more day in Vegas.

I know we have to go back to work eventually, but not on that day. Please just not on that day!

I'm in my 40s now, but even in my 20s I was completely shot for the entire day after a red eye. Went to work once right after landing. Once. Never again. And I'm one who can sleep on planes, but it's not restful sleep so it never really counted.

I think whether you take the red eye really depends on what you have going on the next day. Or if you're one of those super humans who can work right after a red eye (I'm not).

Now I always prefer early afternoon departures.

16. angilynny

angilynny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I took red eyes home from Vegas my first 3 trips. back then I had no kids and could go home and sleep the day away. Last trip we didn't land until 1130 which was almost as bad as a red eye. we didn't get home til 1230 and I couldn't sleep and had to get my kid up for school at 630.

It really depends on what your situation it. I'm done with it unless I got a really good deal and the inlaws didn't mind babysitting a extra day.

good luck

17. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've taken the ready back a couple times and also can't sleep on the plane. Its pretty rough, especially if you then have a drive like me. Not only pretty exhausting, but most passengers will be sleeping and the cabin will be pretty dark, and that can make the flight grind if you're the one stuck awake.

Worth it? Probably depends on how much you're saving, how you get home from the airport, etc. To me its no longer worth it. With discounted rooms and comps, getting more hotel nights in Vegas is no big deal, and early morning flights are usually (for me) about the same price as red-eyes. So I'd rather stay the extra night and fly out the next morning. I wouldn't be working that day regardless as I'd need it for sleep if I took the red eye.

As for the comp, people check out early of a room all the time. Taking a comp could hurt your average if your play doesn't match up with the extra day, but I wouldn't worry about that. Do what you want and let the comps work themselves out.

18. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    its doable...
    I've used the option a few times in the past but I prefer not to.

if there is a big cost difference think of it as the airlines paying you to stay in vegas for the day...

I'm actually doing the overnighter on my next trip - but I am taking the day off afterwards and I'm doing first class. I'm too old for doing the coach overnight if there is a decent alternative...

if there wasn;t I'd put up with it - its vegas after all.....

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.