1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Re-discovered Vegas after a long absence

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by sloopiek, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sloopiek

sloopiek Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    New to this board and enjoying the writings of others quite a lot. There are some great suggestions and loads of entertaining stories, too.
    I first visited Vegas in 1977 or 78; stayed at the Sands with my girlfriend's family; her dad was "connected" and we were comped into Lola Falana's show, and had dinner with Alan King. Later we saw Tom Jones at Caesar's Palace, and my girlfriend became a part of the show when she approached the stage and got a birthday kiss from Mr. Jones, who after the kiss walked across the stage with a stiff limp.
    I was in Vegas again some 20 years later for my 40th birthday; we flew in from my home in San Luis Obispo and stayed at the Carriage House. This was certainly a downgrade from my first trip, but we all had a good time for the most part. The low point was being stuck downtown on my birthday after everyone went in different directions after dinner; I ran out of money and ended up taking a mostly empty bus back up the strip to the hotel. Happy Birthday!
    My second wife and I live in Santa Maria, and we made our first trip about 3 years ago. It was a miserable 8 hour drive, stayed at the Vdara and we had a great time. Saw a couple of Cirque shows, ate well, and marveled at the changes on the strip since I had been there last.
    We discovered Allegiant and their 50 minute flights from Santa Maria two years ago, and have been back 3 times since. We're usually on a pretty tight budget but time our trips so that we can afford to stay at really nice hotels for off season rates. We usually find a deal for meal credits or show discounts when we book the room. It is usually a 3 day trip but always entertaining and we return home recharged.
    We'll be going again in April; found a deal at Aria for 3 nights with a couple of buffets each day to sweeten the deal, which is already pretty good; room rates are in the low 100's. Airfare is $300 RT including luggage. I'll try to never make the 8 hour drive to Vegas again as long as I can take a one hour flight.
    I'm not a party guy, and I don't gamble much. But I love the energy and the excitement of Vegas, and really look forward to making frequent trips in the future.

2. Landshark

Landshark Way into it...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the board.It's a fun place with a LOT of good advice from knowledgeable people.

Jealous, I wish I'd been turned on to Vegas back in the day when Sands was still around. There are some pretty good 8mm and early VHS videos out there of the Strip and Glitter Gulch. My only regret about Vegas was that I didn't go sooner.

3. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the board! Good luck on your trip....hope you have a great time!! Please tell us about it with a TR. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.