1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Questions about comps

Discussion in 'Comps' started by valleyman0505, May 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valleyman0505

valleyman0505 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I almost thought about starting a new thread here since I have so many questions, but I think this is still the appropriate thread, so here goes...

My wife and I typically go to Vegas 1-2 per year and have done so for the past 5 years. We play almost exclusively at CET properties and we do also get to the Joliet and/or Hammond properties once every year. Ultimately, we do enough to pretty much always have 4 nights comped at Flamingo/Ballys/Harrahs. I typically reach Platinum level (barely) each year. To this point, I have been happy with that and have never really looked any further into comps. In preparation for my upcoming trip in 3 weeks, I decided to look further into whether or not anything else may be available. In researching this, I think I have come up with more questions than answers.

First, I am seeing acronyms such as RFB and RFL--what do these mean?

Secondly, when speaking of ADT, Theo, coin-in, etc., is this just referring to what you actually put in out of your pocket? For example, if I put $100 into a slot at the start of my trip and manage to play for hours on end without having to put more money in (I know, funny joke, right?), I would be putting on a lot of points. However, I have only actually risked $100. How is this viewed?

Finally, I see people talking about getting food and beverage comps. Is this strictly talking about the practice of charging food and beverage to your room and (hopefully) having it taken off the bill at the end of the stay? Or, are people actually getting vouchers during their stay to use? Also, I assume that when referring to "comps" people are talking to free things they are getting above and beyond what they are using Reward Credits (or Express Credits, I believe, for mLife), correct? I guess in the past I had always assumed that these credits were an automated way of replacing the "old school" comp system and these credits WERE the comps (in addition to the reduced/comped room rates when booking my next trip online).

I do have some more questions, but perhaps some of the follow-up responses will address those since they are along the same lines as what I've already asked.

Thanks in advance.

2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This thread has a pretty good list of acronyms you see here on the board about Vegas,

3. valleyman0505

valleyman0505 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perfect! Thanks!

4. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are "upfront comps", where a promotion will specify an amount that will be taken off your hotel bill for Food and Beverage charges.
    For example:

Enjoy 3 nights, Sun-Thu, at Caesars, Cromwell, Bally's, Flamingo, The Linq, Harrah's, Planet Hollywood, Rio or Paris (6/1-7/28/16) & receive $200 dining credit! See offer for dining options.

Then, there are backend comps, which are based on play.

As I understand it, this is how backend comps work for CET.

1)Calculate your theo (for slot players, it's TC/2), this is the number that hosts will work off of for comps
    2)somewhere between 0 and 30% would be your comp value.
    3)deduct ALL available RC first against RFB (Room, Food, Beverage) charges
    4)The balance would be the amount that would require backend comps.

For example:

I spend a three day trip and my room is rated at $120.00
    I put in three days at 1000, 2500, and 1000 TC
    My total theo is 4500/2 = $2250 I am getting a comp rate of 30% (my host is generous), therefore, my total comp value is $675.
    Total RFB charges for the room are $350
    Room cost is $360, so I'm left with $315 for RFB backend comps.
    I have earned 4500RC, or $45
    The $45 in RC is taken first, leaving $315
    I have $315 in backend comps, so the entire trip should be comped.

Make sure that you and your host agree on this before you start charging things to your room. Don't ASSUME anything, this is just an example.

Some may disagree with this calculation, but I know this to have applied to me. YMMV.

New Orleans 7* retreat. Food, food, and more food . . . .
    Tentatively Tahoe or LV . . . .
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED !địt mẹ!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    curious..when you say "four nights free", are you meaning Sunday-Thursday?

Palace Tower Suite!
  6. Peachiekeehn

Peachiekeehn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    valleyman, why don't you and your wife play on one card? You will be earning TC's faster that way and with the bonuses may be able to reach diamond. Even if you don't you could be earning better comps as it will look like you're playing twice as much. As for only risking $100 by being able to play on it for a long time, they don't care. All they care about is how long you play and how many times you hit the spin button.

7. valleyman0505

valleyman0505 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, I meant 5 nights free. Our upcoming trip is Thursday-Tuesday. Of course, we still have to pay the RF. We typically get 4 nights if I use my card alone on our reservation. However, I recently learned that if I use her card in addition to mine, we can get the 5th night too. I was surprised because there is very little action on her card (we both play on mine), so I never thought to add it to the reservation until I made this last reservation and it made the difference between 4 free and 5 free.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  8. valleyman0505

valleyman0505 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We do play on the same card already now. We will use hers just enough to keep it active and qualify for anything that may require at least a few points to be put on the card. I do get a little nervous doing that sometimes because "technically" it is against the program rules. We've never had a problem so far, and my dad is a perennial Diamond member by this same strategy with my mom and they have never had a problem either.

Strangely enough, even though we use her card VERY little, by putting both of our cards on the reservation, I went from getting 4 nights comped to getting 5 nights comped. I really didn't think adding her card would influence our rate since we are lucky if she gets 50 TCs a year.

9. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In case you didn't know,

RFB = room, food and beverage. Not sure about RFL, but RF normally stands for room and food.

and as others have mentioned, it isn't about how much you put in initially, it's how long you play and how many credits are cycled through the machine. It would be awesome if you could put in $100 and have it last for hours. Nowadays it seems like my $20 in the machine barely lasts 5 or 10 minutes.

Sometimes it is good to have separate cards. My brother gets a certain number of comps and his wife also get some so they combine their comps for a longer stay.

10. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1 - This entire thread is about comps. And almost everything is a question. We can help you more if the subject is better.
    2 - Coin in. It is the amount of bets. It has nothing to do if you start with $10 or $1000. It is about about each bet.
    3 - All of this stuff is talked about in the threads below. Read some of those from the past few weeks, then ask specific questions. Folks love to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.