1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Question for Chicago folks about a cab

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jul 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is so much talk about long hauling on this board, I just thought I'd ask.

Going to visit my nephew and family and we are taking the train to Union Station. Google says it is about 6 miles to his place in the 3100 block of N Lake Shore Dr. Yea, he's pretty well off. Anyway, any specific directions to give the cabbie? Is the El an option? No luggage, just a 3 pack of wine as a gift for an afternoon visit.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  2. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmm. Can't help with the cab. To do the El, you would have to hoof it over to the Red or Brown line and then still have a few blocks to go.

3. runningonthehub

runningonthehub Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The "EL" is really not a good option. Avoid the CTA like your life depends on it. Take a cab. The driver should just head east to Lake Shore Drive., then north to 3100 North(Belmont). Depending on day and time, it should take about 20-25 minutes or less and cost about $15-20 with tip(don't hold me to this}. Really easy ride.
    Enjoy your trip.

4. dutchvelvet

dutchvelvet VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go to Chicago fairly regularly from Wisconsin. You are exactly correct that the Hiawatha train from Milwaukee is the smart thing to do. From there to Lake Shore I would recommend just paying the taxi. Not worth the hassle to deal with CTA and the taxi service downtown Chicago is very good.

5. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not familiar with the North line, but the line map shows the Ravenswood station is closer to your destination. I would get off there to make the cab ride shorter unless there's a reason why you want to go all the way downtown.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in uncharted waters. I have never been on a train in my entire life and thought Union Station and Lake Shore Dr were in the same area. Looked up the Ravenswood stop and it looks like only 3.5 miles to his place.

Thanks!!

Now another question. I have already purchased two round trip tickets from Milwaukee to Union Station. Could we use those to board the train for the return trip at Ravenswood?

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  7. dutchvelvet

dutchvelvet VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As far as I know the Hiawatha tickets are only good for the trip between Milwaukee Intermodal Amtrak and Union Station. You'll have to pay normal CTA fares for anything else.

P.S. I think we may be talking about two different things. I presumed your tickets were on Hiawatha line Amtrak (I'm not aware of a Metra system train that goes all the way between Milwaukee and Chicago), while The ravenswood stop is on Metra, which is the line that people use to commute to and from Chicago burbs. . Hiawatha express goes to Union Station only, you can't get off at another station, you would have to go to Union Station and then either get on a taxi or go into the normal CTA (buses or the "L") or Metra (the commuter trains) transport system.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  8. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Disregard my comments if you are taking Amtrak, I was thinking Metra which goes from Chicago to Kenosha.

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, Downtown Milwaukee to Union Station on Amtrak. The Hiawatha.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  10. dutchvelvet

dutchvelvet VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So that's what I am familiar with. As I said, what I would do is just take a taxi from Union Station. They should be able to just drive up on Lake Shore. It'll cost, but is simplest.

If you want to go the public transit route, what you need to do is go East a few blocks on Jackson from Union Station, either by foot or by bus. You want to hop on either the brown line that goes north at Quincy, or go a couple blocks more and just grab the red line north Jackson station. Take either to the Belmont station, which is a couple blocks from your destination.

Here is the train map I'm looking at.

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/maps/ctatrainmap_2013oct.pdf

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm thrifty, but not cheap. We'll just cab it. Thanks all!

I'm looking forward to seeing their place. 36th floor overlooking Lake Michigan and weather permitting (who knows this year) he is going to grill out on the rooftop patio of the building.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.