1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Question about SW points...

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by user3657, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user3657

user3657 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I spoke to SW about this and I was told that trips that were purchased with points and then canceled/refunded; the points are returned to your account and dont expire within a year like a purchase using $$ would.

Can anyone confirm this? SW has some cheap prices from Newark so I want to book a bunch of trips and cancel the ones I dont use, but if the refunded points expire in a year that would not be good :(

2. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thats correct, but I believe the money spent for taxes does expire in a year and might also be tied to one name.

3. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not so with the new pricing system, having the taxes & fees built into the advertised fare. If that total cost is ALL paid for with points, and if you cancel, ALL the points automatically go directly back into your account ... no fuss, no muss.

Early Bird boarding fees are not included in that, as you are charged cash for that, even if you are using points to pay for the flight. I'm not exactly sure how they handle that refund, which possibly does go into a credit fund ... ???

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A side note here - a WONDERFUL board for airline specific information is flyertalk.com

People there have dissected the airline programs better than BEEJAY has torn up MGM.

5. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oops, fingers are fat.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  6. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, I meant the 9-11 tax. It is not included in the point redemption, and you need to pay it separately. It is only $5 per segment, so no big deal, but could be if you book a lot of flights.

7. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

From a question about SWA points, to a reference to flyertalk.com, which leads me to a website on sleeping in airports.
    This internet thing is still fascinating.

8. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Early Bird fees are non-refundable.

Whether you pay the airfare with cash or points, if you cancel the flight, you lose the Early Bird fee. If you change your flight, the EB status gets carried over to the new itinerary.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.